Grided local beach, lots of nickels, no bling, no rings, strange??

SweetCorn

Oct 2, 2016
East Bay, CA
Detector(s) used
Excal 2, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gridded a small, local beach in a tourist area (not Bay Area) today. Found a decent amount of coins, 1 wheatie and what I thought was a "silver" nickel but then I found out the nickel alloy hasn't changed since 1866 and does not include silver. Duh.

I was surprised by the amount of nickels that I found. I think this is the most nickels I've ever found in a day. This gets me thinking this beach doesn't get hunted much. But I was also surprised to not find any bling and certainly not anything of value. I also dug a LOT of bottle caps and vintage pull tabs and more modern pull tabs. Are these indications the site hasn't been hunted recently?? Hunted by a gold tone only diggin' pro, Or just chance?

12_09_16_.jpg

Upvote 3

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels are in the gold range on my AT PRO anyway seems that not many people have hunted there keep looking I don't believe a place is hunted out totally and old tabs ect Ive found many gold items in nickel and pull tab range keep pounding it also study the low points where things build up on the beach good luck !!!!!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey there sweet-corn. I assume by "east bay", that you're up in the SF bay area, right ? I'm down here @ Monterey bay south of you. And as for the count ratio versus jewelry: It seems that certain beaches tend to get their own "ratios" over time. Some beaches, that are more touristy and "swim" type beaches, have the highest ratios. Whereas dumpy locals-only type beaches (that just serve for people walking their dogs, etc....) have very poor jewelry ratios.

Santa Cruz main beach, for example, can actually have warm enough waters to swim in (via the shallows, the bay circulation, etc...) for a few months of the year without a wetsuit. Thus you could have scores of people frolicking in the waters during the hotter summer months. Then go figure, it's the amusement park draw, and a big south-bay tourist draw. So the gold ring ratios there are about 150-ish to 1. However, at dumpy locals beaches (nearest the submarine canyon, hence too cold to swim in, and not scenic or touristy), the ratios jump to 400 to 1.

It can be very painful at times when the good erosion spots are on the poor ratio beaches. Because while the coin counts can be awesome (even silver and old coins after storms), yet it becomes sickening to the end the day with 300 or 400+ coins, with either no gold rings, or a single wimpy 10k thin band.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread