Grim Reaper has the best flintknapping privately owned punch collection on the intern

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grim Reaper has the best privately owned flintknapping punch collection on the intern

In case anyone is interested in mysteries, Grim Reaper owns the best flintknapping punch collection that I have ever seen on the entire internet. The only collections I have seen that rival his, are in museum collections. If you want to see the tools used by prehistoric Americans, in fashioning stone points, you can study his collection. Also, other people here may have similar tools in their collections, though they may think that they are "gaming pieces", or some other named item.

The gaming piece idea actually appears to stem from an observation made by a single archaeologist, during the early 1900's, who thought that the tools look like "pegs used in a game of chance". What this archaeologist did not seem to examine was the lifecycle of the tools, and the associations of the tools, with chipped stone products. Later, the "game piece" description seems to have continued in literature, in some quarters.

The reason I say that these tools are "mysteries" is because modern flintknappers between the 1960's, and at least 2010, were unable to explain how these tools were used in the industries that they were associated with. In fact, as I found out in 2010, trying to suggest that maybe these tools were even flintknapping tools is enough to get a person blacklisted, since the idea goes against decades of flintknapper's dogma.

This year, in 2018, I have finally resolved how the tools were used, though the line of evidence used to understand the tool's use came from a very unexpected place. And, unless a person is familiar with the other line of evidence, it is quite possible that it would be impossible for a person - even a modern knapper - to guess at the tool's use. But, when one looks at the differing morphologies of finished prehistoric points, the evidence may already be there, even in the finished points, themselves.

Anyway, I am collaborating with some archaeologists and working on writing about the evidence that was rejected by modern flintknapper's. Anyway, here are some of Grim Reaper's tools, found in a late historic site. These tools are no different then those found in sites from the advent of the archaic era. And, the tools persisted right into the historic era.

Grim Reaper's tools
antler drft collection 2.JPG

Here are similar flintknapping tools from Belize:
antler drift belize.jpg

Here are some from the Goldcamp site:
Goldcamp Site (9).jpg

Here are some from Madisonville:
madisonvillepunches.jpg

Tools that are found run the gamut from new to used, depending on context. I believe Shafer says that at Belize they seemed to be wore down until they were an inch and a half long, and then discarded.

Okay, here is a mockup tool that is five centimeters long:

36436359_10212535854292894_8484102186895147008_n.jpg

This tool was used to remove a blade that is almost as long:

36451510_10212535802011587_8694051853454802944_n.jpg

Back of blade:

36387710_10212535803251618_6562822839898996736_n.jpg

The tool was also used to remove this flake which is 5 cm long. Note: One of the contentions of modern flintknappers is that "punches make short flakes". In this case, the flake is as long as the punch. And, unlike the blade, it has a slight bend to it, which means that it is arcing over the face of the stone:

36293785_10212535759810532_1794917397648375808_n.jpg

Note the distinctive half moon platform remnant that is 5mm wide, by maybe 2mm thick
36436406_10212535759130515_7092685069646561280_n.jpg

Note the series of flakes, blades, with tiny lipped platform remnants. The tiny lipped platform remnants are a trait of the flaker, and flaking technology.
36395642_10212535810531800_5508345808237363200_n.jpg

If you have these small antler cylinder tools in your collection, they are really important. Do not let flintknappers tell you otherwise. These tools have a history of continuous use, since the advent of the archaic era, and may have even been used during the paleoindian era.

Attachments

• 36427057_10212535811491824_6553504543278104576_n.jpg
    36427057_10212535811491824_6553504543278104576_n.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting post. I can't visualize how the tool was utilized. Was it held against the material, and struck with another tool? Was pressure alone sufficient to produce a flake? Just curious.

OP
OP
B

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting post. I can't visualize how the tool was utilized. Was it held against the material, and struck with another tool? Was pressure alone sufficient to produce a flake? Just curious.

The tool was held and struck. The signs of indirect percussion noted by archaeologists include chipped negative flake scars on the antler punch tool itself, cellular compaction, nicks and cuts, occasional slight mushrooming, etc.

In terms of refurbishment, the ends frequently are symmetrical and can show a fine bevel around the end. It appears that the ends may have been ground flat, and then the shoulder ground to a fine bevel, during refurbishment. This pattern also seems to have been seen on larger antler cylinders that were originally classified as billets. In one case, such a tool was re-classified by an archaeologist as being a tool of indirect percussion, of unknown use.

Also, in debating with flintknappers a few stated that they would never believe it unless silicate fragments are found in the ends of such tools. And, I believe at least two times studies were carried out that show that such fragments exist, and are embedded in the ends of such tools. In one case, the flintknapper folded and said that embedded fragments prove it.

In the east, these tools seem to be more commonly found in late woodland sites, and early historic sites, I would assume because there has been less time to decay.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting.

A punch to use instead of a billet.
Both rely on percussion ,but the transfer would be indirect with a punch.

One of your pics shows pointed antler tine ,hinting of being used to pressure flake for finishing.

How a lithic would be supported /held to use a punch would be worth watching. Energy dispersal in a palm vs solid support below. Plus not having a free hand without assistance to secure the lithic. (In loose theory).

Perhaps with a stone masons ability to read stone before fracturing it for a desired result coming into play ,and a punch made for better accuracy...?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting.

A punch to use instead of a billet.
Both rely on percussion ,but the transfer would be indirect with a punch.

One of your pics shows pointed antler tine ,hinting of being used to pressure flake for finishing.

How a lithic would be supported /held to use a punch would be worth watching. Energy dispersal in a palm vs solid support below. Plus not having a free hand without assistance to secure the lithic. (In loose theory).

Perhaps with a stone masons ability to read stone before fracturing it for a desired result coming into play , a punch made for better accuracy...?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This makes sense to me. The precision in the crafting of points seems more likely using a method of holding the impact tool exactly where you want it, and striking with another object, vs. free swinging an antler section, as I have seen demonstrated by modern knappers. Thanks for the post.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I knew I have a pretty nice collection of these from several different Ft Ancient sites in my area but I had no idea it was the best out there. Very cool.

We actually called these Gaming Bones for years until you convinced me otherwise because that is what the old time hunters called them.

Here's some new pictures I took a few weeks ago.

Thanks Ben for the kind words about my collection.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    945.3 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    767 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    830.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg