rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this part of Georgia the Indians used these type of stones to grind with. Around here they call the "Grinders". Some other places they could be called Manos but in a oval shape. Pestles are usually a long cylinder shape. Then there is the Hoof Pestle and the Bell pestle.
If anyone would be so kind as to show their types I would really enjoy seeing them. I know mine are going to be hard to see the use wear on them due to the color of the stone. There are dimples on the stone I have posted, thanks rock
That took a long time to load.

Attachments

• SDC10673.JPG
    SDC10673.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • SDC10674.JPG
    SDC10674.JPG
    876 KB · Views: 79
  • SDC10675.JPG
    SDC10675.JPG
    939.8 KB · Views: 82
  • SDC10676.JPG
    SDC10676.JPG
    939.9 KB · Views: 89
  • SDC10677.JPG
    SDC10677.JPG
    887 KB · Views: 85
  • SDC10678.JPG
    SDC10678.JPG
    890.8 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this part of Georgia the Indians used these type of stones to grind with. Around here they call the "Grinders". Some other places they could be called Manos but in a oval shape. Pestles are usually a long cylinder shape. Then there is the Hoof Pestle and the Bell pestle.
If anyone would be so kind as to show their types I would really enjoy seeing them. I know mine are going to be hard to see the use wear on them due to the color of the stone. There are dimples on the stone I have posted, thanks rock
That took a long time to load.

You know what would be nice? If someone would post pics with the "wear areas" circled or something so I could tell if the ones I have are those type of stones. I pick them up because they don't look the same as the rest but they look like each other (hope that made sense).

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the quartzite and sandstone types wont show very well in pics.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that's mostly what I have. I'll take some pics and post them and see what you think.

If you notice the ones I have posted are kinda square. They are shaped in that square by grinding on the sides kinda like rubbing on a larger stone. The ones I have posted have dimples on each side from grinding.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread