Grinding stone?

IDignails

Greenie
Apr 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! My name is Ben, I’m new to this forum. I do some metal detecting and this weekend I was searching an old creek bed. I found this stone and would love to be able to find out exactly what it is. Doing a quick google search I found grinding stones resembling this but how do I know for sure and how could I tell how old it is? Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks! IMG_9428.jpg IMG_9429.jpg IMG_9436.jpg IMG_9437.jpg IMG_9438.jpg

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Ben. I'm no expert. There are some experienced experts on metates and manos here, who may be along to help. Good luck.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I have several metates and none of them have a sharp edge around the grinding area like the edge on that oval shaped area. I do have two metates that have been used on both sides. They wore one side out and then used the other side which may be the case with the rock that you have. it is interesting.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
That is an interesting item. What part of the country are you in?

It looks like granite, can you determine the type of stone it is?

I agree with Jon Stewart that the sharp edge is unusual. I have found a few manos in Indiana and they are different is design, more plain.

Its possible being in a creek, if made of harder granite or other stone, a softer material weathered out. Like a concretion or other fossil mineral.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bizarre. I'd also like to know what type of material it is.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I have to agree with Jon and dognose. The sharp rim just isn't what is normally seen on that type of artifact, it was the first thing that jumped out at me.

cool piece for sure though.

OP
OP
I

IDignails

Greenie
Apr 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with Jon Stewart that the sharp edge is unusual. I have found a few manos in Indiana and they are different is design, more plain.

Its possible being in a creek, if made of harder granite or other stone, a softer material weathered out. Like a concretion or other fossil mineral.

I’m In perryville, md. Right where the Susquehanna enters the Chesapeake. This was a small creek that runs into the Susquehanna. I’m not sure of the type of stone but there is a granite quarry nearby. Hope this helps!!

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m In perryville, md. Right where the Susquehanna enters the Chesapeake. This was a small creek that runs into the Susquehanna. I’m not sure of the type of stone but there is a granite quarry nearby. Hope this helps!!

Good to see another Marylander on here your in a great area to hunt artifacts so many great finds along the Susquehanna.... I grew up in Rising Sun and found a lot of really nice points out there I’m in Kent county , MD now.

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agree with arrow86 good to see another Marylander.... knowing the area I assume by the creek on Cecil side or Harford? The quarry I am thinking is on harford side... regardless it is intriguing both good areas. Based on geography don’t think a nodule fell out IMO. I think the one side was used with purpose and other damaged through time. Cool find.

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to TNet few hunters on here from your area. I live in Harford... hunt Harford and Cecil mainly. DM if any questions.

OP
OP
I

IDignails

Greenie
Apr 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with arrow86 good to see another Marylander.... knowing the area I assume by the creek on Cecil side or Harford? The quarry I am thinking is on harford side... regardless it is intriguing both good areas. Based on geography don’t think a nodule fell out IMO. I think the one side was used with purpose and other damaged through time. Cool find.

Thanks man! I’m on the Cecil side right in old town perryville. I lived in harford county my whole life and just most over the bridge 2 years ago. I found this near perry point. I love the history here. I found a group called archaeology society of northern Chesapeake, I was thinking about checking them out.

OP
OP
I

IDignails

Greenie
Apr 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see another Marylander on here your in a great area to hunt artifacts so many great finds along the Susquehanna.... I grew up in Rising Sun and found a lot of really nice points out there I’m in Kent county , MD now.

Cool! I love the history here! I think there’s still a lot out there to find. It seems like most folks have just forgotten about our past. It’s sad to see all of developing, makes me think about all the stuff that’s been covered up and never found. Did you find your points walking the rivers edge?

OP
OP
I

IDignails

Greenie
Apr 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Jon and dognose. The sharp rim just isn't what is normally seen on that type of artifact, it was the first thing that jumped out at me.

cool piece for sure though.

It is definitely strange being so sharp. If it is man made someone must’ve had a lot of patience and skill. What a task that must’ve been.

OP
OP
I

IDignails

Greenie
Apr 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

that makes a lot of sense. Kind of like an egg yoke popping out of a hard boiled egg, lol. I wish I knew for sure.

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They are a good group Dan Coates I believe still heads it up. A lot of good dirt exposed on the Cecil side I am
Struggling to get permission hope your luck is better. Dan has a cool set up in Harford County at https://liriodendron.com/museum/

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

IDignails

Greenie
Apr 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are a good group Dan Coates I believe still heads it up. A lot of good dirt exposed on the Cecil side I am
Struggling to get permission hope your luck is better. Dan has a cool set up in Harford County at https://liriodendron.com/museum/

That’s really cool. I haven’t been to the liriodendron in years, I’m definitely gonna check that out! Getting permissions is definitely a challenge. People are so guarded these days. I’ll keep you posted and maybe we could get together on a hunt.

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s really cool. I haven’t been to the liriodendron in years, I’m definitely gonna check that out! Getting permissions is definitely a challenge. People are so guarded these days. I’ll keep you posted and maybe we could get together on a hunt.

Sent you a DM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions