Griswold, Stanley, Leather, and More!

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

So I finally got out the other weekend (not this past weekend but the weekend before) and I had a great time! Before I show any of my finds I want to first say thank you to everyone as usual, I've been on this forum for a little while now and I can say that about a third of my finds I bought specifically because of posts on this forum, so thank you all. I'm thankful yet again to be a part of this community.

So anyways, I went to one of my favorite picking spots, a giant warehouse owned by a guy who does estate/garage cleanouts. he always has tons of stuff for dirt cheap. Had a few surprises, turns out the wooden letterpress type sells for quite a bundle, I briefly worked at a letterpress shop and apparently the wood type is hard to come by. The Old Pal minnow bucket was a total impulse buy, but it turns out that This one should bring in $20 or so. The Gregory backpack should go for $100-$150 which was a nice surprise as well. The tinly leather bag was made by the a company that eventually turned into Ghurka which makes very high end leather goods. This little guy should bring in around $70, but I'll probably start it at 49.99 auction and see what happens.

Things I need input on:

1.) The Plane is a Stanley No. 7 Plane. However, there was another guy at the sale who was drooling over it when it was in my pile, he kept saying that it was definitely over 100 years old and continued to be my shadow the whole morning. It seems the older the better with these, I've tried looking online and the resource I found said mine was from the 1880's. I'm not sure if I'm close at all or if that is even possible, I'd love some input (looking at you clovis) on what the actual age might be so i can list it accordingly.

2.) The native american items are very cool, they are made out of rawhide and hand painted. I'm honestly not sure what to put in the listing titles for them other than "hand painted native american rattle", any other suggestions are appreciated. Also if anyone has ideas about age I'd love to hear them.

3.) I cannot for the life of me figure out the logo on the Canvas and leather bag. I would love to know the maker, I have researched to no avail, but if anyone else recognizes it or finds it please let me know!

As always thanks for any comments or input, hope you all enjoy the pictures!

20141014_Mbowman_779.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_778.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_777.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_776.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_775.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_774.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_773.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_772.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_771.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_770.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_769.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_768.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_767.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_766.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_765.JPG 20141014_Mbowman_764.JPG

bc8888

Greenie
Mar 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Plane;

The possible date range should be 1885 - 1902, since it has a lateral adjustment lever and has the number but not "Bailey" in the casting towards the front of the plane.
If you look at the backside of the lever cap or frog and see a "S" or "B" in the casting that would help narrow it down, as well as the logo on the blade

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Plane;

The possible date range should be 1885 - 1902, since it has a lateral adjustment lever and has the number but not "Bailey" in the casting towards the front of the plane.
If you look at the backside of the lever cap or frog and see a "S" or "B" in the casting that would help narrow it down, as well as the logo on the blade

There is a B in the casting, no logo that I can find on the blade. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I wish I could offer some help on that game/hunting bag.

Thanks! I know, the bag is killing me. It uses several older style clasps and has some patina on the metal rivets in the leather so it's definitely old, what's killing me is that it has a very clear logo that I just can't figure out!

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The bag is a Gokey Orvis. I posted in your "What Is It" thread as well.
Gokey no longer exists. I assume Orvis bought them or the design rights.

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so glad someone was able to ID it! Thank you! And wow, they seem to be going for a premium, I'll give myself a nice pat on the back for scooping that one!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, I looked at at least 100 different Orvis and Gokey bags including one on Proxibid that sold at auction (without a photo) described as a "vintage No.3 canvas and leather hunting bag" and I could not for the life of me find one with that logo. Good work Lafitte and Baltimore for finding that logo, I'm glad it's been id'd.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread