Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plastic and paper grocery bags banned in Austin beginning in March 2013; $2 million to go for reusable bags for the poor, public awareness | Texas Watchdog

This is jsut now taking effect and being shoved down our throuts. Stores are going to CHARGE $1.00 per recycled bag OR paper bag at the grocery stores, or you can bring your own when you go shopping!

Just another BS scheme to rip off the consumer!!!

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plastic and paper grocery bags banned in Austin beginning in March 2013; $2 million to go for reusable bags for the poor, public awareness | Texas Watchdog

This is jsut now taking effect and being shoved down our throuts. Stores are going to CHARGE $1.00 per recycled bag OR paper bag at the grocery stores, or you can bring your own when you go shopping!

Just another BS scheme to rip off the consumer!!!

Doesnt.... Aldis do that already? I weave all my extra plastic bags in to my chainlink fence....my neighbor loves it...LOL

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
They can't "rip off the consumer" if the consumers stop being lazy @@@£££€€€s and take their own bags!!

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing in a store is "free". You pay for it whether it has a price tag or not - bags, rent, electricity, wages, theft. It's all built in to the price you pay for an item. You also "pay" for the disposal of that bag or its clean up if you litter. It makes a lot more economic sense to reuse canvas bags, etc and should in the long run add economic value to the country as it is more efficient.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't they know how dangerous reusable bags are ?

think about that Beef, Poultry and Seafood juice leaking into the bags
that some through too poor to wash them regularly, Laziness, or just plain ignorance of diseases like Salmonella ,
then throwing Lettuice, tomatoes, etc into the bag on another occasion.

I know, that's ok because they don't see plastic or paper bags in the stores :BangHead:

Personally I'd ask for another free reusable bag('s) every time I need to go shopping
and Purposely discard them in the streets or burn them if they have a rubber
or plastic base right after ,
just to get even :laughing7:

[h=1]How reusable shopping bags can kill[/h]

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865572199/How-reusable-shopping-bags-can-kill.html?pg=all

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesnt.... Aldis do that already? I weave all my extra plastic bags in to my chainlink fence....my neighbor loves it...LOL

at Aldies I pick up boxes & throw them in my cart as I'm shopping
they don't charge for them, & they give me something to burn later :icon_thumright:
create my own Chemtrails for future Winter Global warming :laughing7:

Last edited:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I use plastic bags to pick up my puppy's poop and throw it away. Does that count as recycling? So if I lived there I would have to start buying puppy poopy bags instead, lol!

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use plastic bags to pick up my puppy's poop and throw it away. Does that count as recycling? So if I lived there I would have to start buying puppy poopy bags instead, lol!

Plastic bags took away the fun of paper bags full of dog poo lighting up a paper bag and ringing the door bell use to be great prank.:laughing7: (Just heard that was being done:dontknow:)

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In south Texas there is a saying that, "Everything sticks you, stings you or bites you." The first part of that refers to the many plants in the area that have thorns on them. It can also be very windy here. When you combine those two factors with plastic bags you have a landscape that is very ugly. There were several ugly, shredded, plastic bags on every bush you could see. Several years ago the people in Fort Stockton banned all plastic bags. Now the stores use the old style brown paper bags. After some strong clean up efforts it is now a much better drive into the city from any direction. I am not sure why Austin would ban the paper bags. I would like to know their reason before I condemn them.

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure why Austin would ban the paper bags. I would like to know their reason before I condemn them.

Have you SEEN some of the people running around here in Austin? I think the reason they banned the paperbags so someone couldn't go out to a local club and put a bag over someones face, if you get my drift? Maybe Austin wants the singles scene to suffer who they end up with after a night on the town!!!

There are SOME PEOPLE who should wear bags over their faces everyday!

Yeah I know that is pretty bad, I just thought I should put some humor into it!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I refuse to use reusable bags...I have enough things lying around, I don't need yucky germy bags to put my food in.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bring your own bags makes me want to bring a competitors plastic bag to any store that pushes this idea...:laughing7:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been to other places in the world where you can either bring your own bag or they charge you five cents per bag. Seems fair to me, that is still less expensive then buying puppy poopy bags.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
crispin,

Yep.....they charge us at most supermarkets.....5 cents each.....except for the produce department where the clear plastic bags are free.

We use the heavy duty reusable plastic bags with the handles for our shopping....every little bit helps.

Regards + HH

Bill

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I've been to other places in the world where you can either bring your own bag or they charge you five cents per bag. Seems fair to me, that is still less expensive then buying puppy poopy bags.
Crispin, I would think a bag from Subway would be an ideal puppy poopy bag. Just the right size to put your hand and arm in and pick up puppies little nuggets:laughing7: And the free napkins they give you with your sandwich can double as toilet paper if the need should arise! Cheaper than a coffee filter (although the pleats work well)!:laughing7: LOL!

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Crispin, I would think a bag from Subway would be an ideal puppy poopy bag. Just the right size to put your hand and arm in and pick up puppies little nuggets:laughing7: And the free napkins they give you with your sandwich can double as toilet paper if the need should arise! Cheaper than a coffee filter (although the pleats work well)!:laughing7: LOL!

Truer words have never been spoken!

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you saying American women send their men to do the shopping? How quaint! :)

Don't joke, Dano Mate, that is exactly what my wife does. Gives me a list and then kicks me out the door. She never puts Guinness on the list; oddly enough, it always sneaks its way into the cart.

Crispin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread