✅ SOLVED Grooved Stone?

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll post this to the Native American Artifact thread in addition to this thread. My friend found this in Montana along a creek on his family farm. There is no Reservation nearby. Often he finds arrowheads, so he knows that hunting took place in the area. This "worked stone" has grooves on one side and a non symmetrical backside. It is light in weight and maybe basalt….but possibly pumice. It is not machined or man made (manufactured). It appears it was used as an insert (into a notched hole?). What were the grooves for? Sharpening/straightening arrow shafts? Maybe, it was some sort of tool for stretching or drying a hide? As, always, any help to focus my research is appreciated!
IMG_1791.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg
IMG_1789.jpeg
IMG_1788.jpeg
IMG_1787.jpeg
IMG_1786.jpeg
IMG_1785.jpeg

OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You couldn't mistake basalt for pumice. They're respectively among the most dense and least dense rocks.

It looks to me like what's left of an old grooved carbon battery rod. These are from the early 1900s:

View attachment 2094750
Well, it’s definitely a rock. Or stone. My apologies for not knowing the type of material It is.

Are those carbon battery rods grooved on the opposite side? This item is not symmetric (fore and aft), and it has an uneven surface on the non grooved side.

Even with weathering and possible creek water flowing on it, I’m not sure it would show a wear pattern that would wipe away grooves only on one side.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it’s definitely a rock. Or stone. My apologies for not knowing the type of material It is.

Are those carbon battery rods grooved on the opposite side? This item is not symmetric (fore and aft), and it has an uneven surface on the non grooved side.

Even with weathering and possible creek water flowing on it, I’m not sure it would show a wear pattern that would wipe away grooves only on one side.

Sure. You say it's 'definitely' rock, and that it's light... in which case it couldn't be basalt. Carbon battery rods are made from a consolidated mixture of powdered graphite and manganese dioxide, so they have the look and feel of rock, and are also light.

They come in various profiles, with and without grooves, and sometimes have one or more flattened surfaces. Exhausted ones have usually partially disintegrated, so the shape of discarded ones isn't necessarily just from weathering. I still believe that's what it is, but am open to being corrected.

Battery2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 5
OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure. You say it's 'definitely' rock, and that it's light... in which case it couldn't be basalt. Carbon battery rods are made from a consolidated mixture of powdered graphite and manganese dioxide, so they have the look and feel of rock, and are also light.

They come in various pofiles, with and without grooves, and sometimes have one or more flattened surfaces. Exhausted ones have usually partially disintegrated, so the shape of discarded ones isn't necessarily just from weathering. I still believe that's what it is, but am open to being corrected.

View attachment 2094752

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it’s the first working theory. Maybe more folks can chime in and post some correlation. Lengthwise one end has a tapered and rounded edge.

The other tip has more a insertable pronged tip, that on close inspection is set at an angle. The rounded tip leads me to believe it isn’t a battery rod, in addition to the wear pattern previously mentioned. I found some graphite in the past. Yes, it is a compact and light material. The surface of this item has pitting identical to what I believe to be stone.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll keep researching the theory.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Red! When I first saw it my reaction was old dry cell battery rod. Have dug quite a few of them, some smooth and some grooved.
Some weird wear patterns. But so far it is the only working theory, so thanks!
IMG_1793.jpeg
IMG_1794.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They come in various pofiles, with and without grooves, and sometimes have one or more flattened surfaces. Exhausted ones have usually partially disintegrated, so the shape of discarded ones isn't necessarily just from weathering. I still believe that's what it is, but am open to being corrected.

View attachment 2094752
I am having my doubts that this is a rock/stone. I looked at it under better lighting and under a magnifying glass. My thumbnail easily scratched a thin layer from the surface. I’ll now research hand made items, and your theory of a discarded/worn battery rod looks best so far. Thanks for urging me to do another exam of item!

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Red! When I first saw it my reaction was old dry cell battery rod. Have dug quite a few of them, some smooth and some grooved.
Thanks Gunsil…..the surface is softer than a rock. I’ll chase down Red's theory.

Upvote 0

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know yours is grooved and i personally think it is a battery rod after seeing Red's pictures. but this thread might be of interest. has a lot of info on weights and density of battery rods. you could probably get a good estimate of how much of yours has been worn away and weigh it.

https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/black-stone-cylinder.434829/

"Also the carbon rods will make a black powder if you scratch them with a penny. If yours doesn't do that I don't think it came from a battery." from that thread by user: jwarner51

Upvote 1
OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know yours is grooved and i personally think it is a battery rod after seeing Red's pictures. but this thread might be of interest. has a lot of info on weights and density of battery rods. you could probably get a good estimate of how much of yours has been worn away and weigh it.

"Also the carbon rods will make a black powder if you scratch them with a penny. If yours doesn't do that I don't think it came from a battery." from that thread by user: jwarner51
Thanks, Down East!

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks DownEast.

Just for clarity, the item originally posted in that thread is not a battery rod and I don't think it's Native American either. As one responder said, I also think it's a honing stone for scythe and sickle blades.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DownEast.

Just for clarity, the item originally posted in that thread is not a battery rod and I don't think it's Native American either. As one responder said, I also think it's a honing stone for scythe and sickle blades.
i know, i was just thinking he could use the information in the replies of that thread. Regarding weight, density, penny scratch, etc of the battery rod. I figured if he could aply some of those to his and get correlating info. Then he would be able to come to a conclusion on ID'ing his piece. but i should of mentioned that.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread