Ground drying out,signal TIDs Changing

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
Havent noticed that more of different tid's, in different programs but then again I take programs each like each one is a different machine so #'s would vary. Im definetly gonna look into what uve came to aswell now im curious

Never noticed it in general. On occasion a quarter will I.D. as a dime, but its either trash nearby or on edge. I don't use I.D. normal so that might make a difference.

Never noticed it in general. On occasion a quarter will I.D. as a dime, but its either trash nearby or on edge. I don't use I.D. normal so that might make a difference.
Yeah,I just noticed it yesterday! I dug 4 quarters while out on a hunt,and all of them came in as a strong dime signal? The only thing I can think of is the soil is dry now,compared to 3 weeks ago after we had a lot of rain?:thumbsup: I didn'y know they would give a dime signal if they were edge wise in the soil? I hunt in 4-8 kHz 90% of the time,since I'm coinshooting,and want a good spread on the target ID's. Great info!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah,I just noticed it yesterday! I dug 4 quarters while out on a hunt,and all of them came in as a strong dime signal? The only thing I can think of is the soil is dry now,compared to 3 weeks ago after we had a lot of rain?:thumbsup: I didn'y know they would give a dime signal if they were edge wise in the soil? I hunt in 4-8 kHz 90% of the time,since I'm coinshooting,and want a good spread on the target ID's. Great info!:thumbsup:

Curious have u done any air tests to c what they come in on ? Being dry

Curious have u done any air tests to c what they come in on ? Being dry
Yeah,the air test show them as different TID's but they showed the same TID in the soil yesterday? I guess it doesn't really make a difference,because I reconized it as a "dig" (high tone) signal when I hit them?

I've noticed that the coin TID's are changing slightly due to the soil drying out in my area. Have any of you noticed this? Dimes,and quarters are "rining in almost the same TID numbers. We need some rain!:laughing7:

You from kentucky

RKS, I don't use 4khz and 8 very seldom in spite of the fact that 8 seems slightly deeper on coins than 12. I'm not sure what the spread is down in that range. (4 points between dime and quarter at 12/18khz)
I could be wrong about the quarters on edge, I've only dug 2 that were in the dime range with nothing else in the hole. That's until I just remembered that I had my notch up to 40 (18khz)....oops
There could have been notched foil next to the quarter. I'm sure you already know about averaging. If not, try it with a zinc penny-dime stack, nickel-quarter stack, pull tab-quarter.... etc. (smaller target on top or place them next to each other).
The one thing I found about dry soil is target separation appears to be much better. Doesn't go as deep in wet ground, but the lack of moisture seems to cut down the target footprint so that good targets that might have been masked are visible.
That's the conclusion I came to during the dry summer last year when I found a number of pre-64 dimes in a trashy area that I'd already hunted earlier in the season when it was wet.
Hopefully its true and you can take advantage of the conditions. I still like wet better, dry is hard digging and it takes some work to make the plug look invisible.

RKS, I don't use 4khz and 8 very seldom in spite of the fact that 8 seems slightly deeper on coins than 12. I'm not sure what the spread is down in that range. (4 points between dime and quarter at 12/18khz)
I could be wrong about the quarters on edge, I've only dug 2 that were in the dime range with nothing else in the hole. That's until I just remembered that I had my notch up to 40 (18khz)....oops
There could have been notched foil next to the quarter. I'm sure you already know about averaging. If not, try it with a zinc penny-dime stack, nickel-quarter stack, pull tab-quarter.... etc. (smaller target on top or place them next to each other).
The one thing I found about dry soil is target separation appears to be much better. Doesn't go as deep in wet ground, but the lack of moisture seems to cut down the target footprint so that good targets that might have been masked are visible.
That's the conclusion I came to during the dry summer last year when I found a number of pre-64 dimes in a trashy area that I'd already hunted earlier in the season when it was wet.
Hopefully its true and you can take advantage of the conditions. I still like wet better, dry is hard digging and it takes some work to make the plug look invisible.
Yeah,the dry hard ground,makes the plugs crumble,and look bad!:BangHead: I think your right about the dry conditions,and target separation,I've noticed that in High Trash areas,if I really slow down the swing,the Deus finds a lot more coins in the trash,even while running the reactivity in the lower range. It's a "Hot" machine,and has found many targets my other machines have passed up.

Good with the bad

If you have a Lesche digger or similar, take the blade edge and chop the top of the plug after its replaced like you are dicing onions. It takes a bit longer but you will be amazed how nice it relieves the plug cap and allows it to blend with the surrounding turf. I need to make a video. I've seen the damage left during the dry season by some fellow detectorists at an old park I like to hunt. I tell you, I wouldn't blame the parks dept. for banning detecting after that mess. Anyhow, I digress....give it a try and see if it helps.
Ran

Ya but chopping the top off cuts off all living roots to the plug, verse a 3 sided plug leaving living roots thus not totally killing the grass given it a chance to regrow

I've noticed that the coin TID's are changing slightly due to the soil drying out in my area. Have any of you noticed this? Dimes,and quarters are "rining in almost the same TID numbers. We need some rain!:laughing7:

All detectors experience this. Everything I mean EVERYTHING effects target id to a degree.

Ya but chopping the top off cuts off all living roots to the plug, verse a 3 sided plug leaving living roots thus not totally killing the grass given it a chance to regrow

I never chop the top of the plug off. I always dig a 3 sided plug for deep targets. When the ground is dry the plug will not seat back into the earth all the way, especially if you have to dig further. It sits up higher than the surrounding earth and the 3-sided cut is highly visible even after stomping it. So after the plug is seated back in the hole, I hack the top with the cutting edge of the digger like dicing onions. it only takes a couple whacks and it relaxes the body of the plug by breaking up the clay hard soil and allows the edges to blend into the surrounding earth when you stomp it. The grass roots are not injured any more than from the initial dig. I have been doing it for a couple years with no ill effects to the grass and the end results are virtually invisible. I know so because I've returned to the sites a few days later and cannot tell where I dug. Of course its site specific, you wouldn't want to be digging up a sports field or manicured lawn when its dry.

I never chop the top of the plug off. I always dig a 3 sided plug for deep targets. When the ground is dry the plug will not seat back into the earth all the way, especially if you have to dig further. It sits up higher than the surrounding earth and the 3-sided cut is highly visible even after stomping it. So after the plug is seated back in the hole, I hack the top with the cutting edge of the digger like dicing onions. it only takes a couple whacks and it relaxes the body of the plug by breaking up the clay hard soil and allows the edges to blend into the surrounding earth when you stomp it. The grass roots are not injured any more than from the initial dig. I have been doing it for a couple years with no ill effects to the grass and the end results are virtually invisible. I know so because I've returned to the sites a few days later and cannot tell where I dug. Of course its site specific, you wouldn't want to be digging up a sports field or manicured lawn when its dry.

Oh well makes more sence now uve explained it sorry

No problem Christo, digging/restoration techniques are a touchy subject. I should have a video of how it works...It is actually not as bad as it sounds.
Also works good when there is no grass and the hard packed mud breaks up into large chunks when you pry up with the digging tool.
It looks awful when the chunks are returned to the hole. But if you break up the chunks into small rubble, it fills the hole nicely and can be stepped on to blend with the surrounding mudpack.
I will make a video next time there is a dry season to demonstrate. Honest, it really works.

Nice I think I actually do what ur saying when the plug gets pushed down I flip my digger over & kinda hit it randomly it like gets the grass up & blends it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back