ground heave

mapo

Dec 27, 2008
Tacoma, Wa.
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I just got word yesterday from a friend who informed me that all the plugs I dug almost a month ago had risen up several inches. I took great pains to be as neat as possible. What I suspect has happened is as the ground re-froze, the ice crystals increased the mass or volume of the recently dug plugs forcing them upward. I informed her of my suspicions and told her I would come over and retamp them down. I know this will be a non issue when our weather warms and the plugs fully knit but I thought I'd pass this along because alot of us hunt in winter and we must be respectful of other's property. I'm very interested in other's feedback. Thanks, Mark

wormhole

Oct 5, 2004
Lindenhurst, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I have seen that happen. It is just like the wood pilings on the bay near my home. The water freezes and up pop the pilings. I have had similar things happen with dirt plugs in my own yard as well. You could try bringing a hand hoe/rake with you next time and try weaving the grass together after you push the plug back in. It might work. What I usually do is pound the mound(plug) with my fist a few times before I tamp it down so as to push the dirt that is in the plug outwards a tad and compressing it against the earth wall that was not dug. I hope you understand what I am saying ::).

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I am too much of a cold weather wimp to have done much digging when things have been froze so I had never noticed this before. Sure glad to see someone brought it up for those that do hunt in the cold! Thanks

sodiumrye

Dec 27, 2008
NW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Still swinging my old Garrett master hunter ADS2
I have that happening in my yard right now it seems. Thanks for puttimg two and two together, I will now stop blamming my dawg LOL :tard:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread