image.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no signs of any work by man, just nature...

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all round rocks were used. It takes a long time to be able to see the use wear on rocks you have to look at a lot of different examples to be able to see the wear and know if it was used. I collected rocks for years before I collected artifacts. Now its the best of both worlds all in one collection. None of those show me anything but natural.

OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all round rocks were used. It takes a long time to be able to see the use wear on rocks you have to look at a lot of different examples to be able to see the wear and know if it was used. I collected rocks for years before I collected artifacts. Now its the best of both worlds all in one collection. None of those show me anything but natural.

I'm at work right now but here are other pics I took last night of the pecking/hammer stones... I realize not all round rocks were used. To me, these show signs of human use....
image.jpg
image.jpg

I found them in the area at the top left of the picture
image.jpg

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
the first one looks like it has definite possibilities, but not so much concerning the second one.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, if the blonde colored area on the lower portion of the first rock is actual battered cortex/skin, and not simply a color change, then it might be a hammerstone. I don't see it with the second stone. But I'd be curious what usage you actually see on that stone, just to better understand why you think it's an artifact. Because it shows no usage at all in the photo. Not apparent to my eyes, at least...

OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, if the blonde colored area on the lower portion of the first rock is actual battered cortex/skin, and not simply a color change, then it might be a hammerstone. I don't see it with the second stone. But I'd be curious what usage you actually see on that stone, just to better understand why you think it's an artifact. Because it shows no usage at all in the photo. Not apparent to my eyes, at least...

I will get better pics of the first one once I get home... I guess I thought the other one was a tool bc I found them beside each other and it has that corner notch.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The large stone looks as if it was used from what I see in your photo, but the others all look natural.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will show you some I found now some of these are grinders to. The old timers call all of these pounders but some are grinders.
Now the one in hand is a grinder note the color change in the stone from grinding and the smoothness

Attachments

• SDC10329.JPG
    SDC10329.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • SDC10354.JPG
    SDC10354.JPG
    1,003.3 KB · Views: 61
  • SDC10355.JPG
    SDC10355.JPG
    908.3 KB · Views: 63

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread