Group Hunt at Jackson Park Beach

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
These were the images and group finds from 7am to 1pm on Saturday. Enjoy!

spring_hunt_2009.jpg

spring_hunt_2009_2.jpg

One inch deep barber dime :)

spring_hunt_2009_3.jpg

spring_hunt_2009_4.jpg

spring_hunt_2009_5.jpg

We got really lucky with a bulldozed beach site!

spring_hunt_2009_6.jpg

Goldee43 makes an incredible barber half find on her first day with the E-Trac, only 3" deep!

spring_hunt_2009_7.jpg

Austin nabbed this brilliant SLQ!

spring_hunt_2009_8.jpg

spring_hunt_2009_9.jpg

Coin Magnet Jr.'s Finds

spring_hunt_2009_10.jpg

Coin Magnet's Finds

spring_hunt_2009_11.jpg

Patrick's Finds

spring_hunt_2009_12.jpg

Litefire56's Finds

spring_hunt_2009_13.jpg

D-Dub's Finds

spring_hunt_2009_14.jpg

DP Bob's Finds

spring_hunt_2009_15.jpg

Watercolor's Finds

spring_hunt_2009_16.jpg

Brett's Finds

spring_hunt_2009_17.jpg

Kimsdad's Finds

spring_hunt_2009_18.jpg

Goldee43's Finds

spring_hunt_2009_19.jpg

Lookn4seated's Finds

I had to leave around 1pm so this is all I could be around to witness. I'm sure there were plenty more found after my Dad and I left. What an incredible day of hunting to say the least!! Thanks Keith for dragging us out to that beach. My Dad and I didn't think we'd be beach hunting at all, especially after what Goio said about that other beach being raked regularly. All I could think when I was out there was, "now THIS is what beach hunting should be like EVERY time!!"

I broke a few personal bests today, first 5 silver day (skipped right over 4), first 2 barber day, oldest dime (1898), and could be my first most old coins in one day (I still have to clean up some of those crusties... I'm pretty sure one is an IH. My Dad said one of his was an IH).

Great to meet some new faces and revisit some old. Couldn't have asked for a better day to hunt.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You so much for all the pictures Brett.....
There was more finds after you and your Dad left..
Well over 30 silvers were found....
I had an AWESOME day.....
Glad to see you and your Dad again
A day like this doesn't come along to often and it was a blast to be part of it.....

Congrats.....

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
First of all, it was a pleasure to finally meet you and your dad, Brett! Thanks for taking the great pics! The group photo will be in my 2009 hunting book for sure! I wasn't going to the beach either, instead we were heading right to Washington Park when Bob called. I'm so glad he did!

This is one of the most fun hunts I've been on, and it was great seeing everyones finds.

Last but not least, WTG!!! You really cleaned up on dimes!!! Congrats on the great finds! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

I hope to get out with you guys again one day!

Great bottle, too! :icon_thumleft:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brett, thanks again for being the "official"
Jackson Park photographer :thumbsup:

This was my first time on a beach hunt and I must say,
I had no idea what to expect but when I heard silver
was being pulled up by everyone. . . that was cool :)

I was happy to meet you and your dad and really excited to be
able to finally be able hunt with you and everyone. . . that was nice :wink:

Good luck tomorrow while I'm working the garden in the back yard :P

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys look like you had a fantastic hunting day.............Certainly better than we did at Indian Head hill............Congrats

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that sure is alot of great finds . the only problem now is there might be 1000 people there in the morning!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Crap!, Men and ladies thats some great finds, congratulations on a group hunt on a hot spot. thats what its all about.

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
etrac007 said:
that sure is alot of great finds . the only problem now is there might be 1000 people there in the morning!
Nah, it's all hunted out now ;)

Mark and Neil, great to finally meet you two! Had a great time watching you guys dig up the loot. Hopefully we can get together and hunt again soon.

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Brett,
Thanks for posting all the great pictures. Not only was it great day of finds it was really a pleasure to meet in person the members on this forum that were there. Look forward to hunting with many of you again. Pat

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
WOW!
Great pics Brett!
Did you find out what beach is next for the scraping job?!?

Looks like they pulled the tabs and clad right out of your way there today!

Just a question for you guys:
Do any of you know where they took the removed sand and deposited it?

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
WOW!
Great pics Brett!
Did you find out what beach is next for the scraping job?!?

Looks like they pulled the tabs and clad right out of your way there today!

Right there ....

we were hunting it....That's what was so nice.. Didn't have to go chasing dump trucks

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Thanks for taking the pics Brett. It was great meeting you and your Dad as well as the rest of the Coinhunting.net crew that was there. That beach was unbelievable the way that the coins were popping out. Definitely an opportunity like that doesn't come around to often.

Hope to get out with some of you again.

HH

Lowbatts said:
Hey LB. We were actually hunting on the sand. They spread it around the water filled hole in the middle of the beach. Its some project the city is working on to create an "unnatural" dune environment! Now if they would just go back and scrape a few more inches off we could go for round two. :thumbsup:

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Re: Group Hunt at Jackson Park Beach - Sunday Update

Made it back out to the beach this morning for some more hunting. Silver finds were still coming though at a much slower rate. Managed to squeak out one more Merc - a worn 1923-S. My silver total for the two days was 4 Mercs - 1920, 1923-S, 1942 and 1944. The 1944 is literally in almost AU condition. I still have to clean up the 33 encrusted pennies I found. Hope one or two turns out to be an Injun. Once again, it was great to meet everyone.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Group Hunt at Jackson Park Beach - Sunday Update

Pocket Spill said:
Made it back out to the beach this morning for some more hunting. Silver finds were still coming though at a much slower rate. Managed to squeak out one more Merc - a worn 1923-S. My silver total for the two days was 4 Mercs - 1920, 1923-S, 1942 and 1944. The 1944 is literally in almost AU condition. I still have to clean up the 33 encrusted pennies I found. Hope one or two turns out to be an Injun. Once again, it was great to meet everyone.

Amazing how many silver....

PS it was nice meeting you.....

Keith (Indiana)

Jan 4, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I want to thank everyone for attenting the CHN Spring Hunt at the Jackson Park Beach in Chicago this weekend. We all had a great time and I really enjoyed meeting everyone. (PM me if you do not know what CHN is!)

We have 4 hunts per year with the group. This time we had four different days of Spring Hunts! We have been planning the Chicago CHN Spring Hunt for several weeks. It was great meeting everyone of you there and I hope to do it again as well. For all of you who attended that are not a part of our group I am looking forward to you joining soon.

Here's how we ended up at the beach:

I wanted to meet at the beach area on Saturday morning so I could meet eveyone in a good parking spot plus I wanted to scan the sand for a while since I heard last year thet there have been Mercs and Indians pulled out of there. When Jr and I walked over the top of the dune and saw where they had been doing bulldozer work I thought "this could be bad or it could be very good!" :thumbsup:

When we got back to the van Brett and Litefire56 had just pulled up. I told them about the beach work and that I thought it would be a good place to start while we waited for more hunters to arrive. Brett and Coin Magnet Jr took off for the beach and Litefire56 stayed behind to detect the grass area.

It wasn't five minutes before Coin Magnet Jr comes running up with his first Mercury Dime! Then I knew we had a GOOD spot! About a minute later Brett was calling us to say he just found a Barber dime and the hunt was on!

You can read the posts to see what awesome coin finds were made. I guess you could say the results were "Beyond Stellar"! ;D

Jr and I will be posting our finds soon you know where. :laughing7:

Keith (Coin Magnet)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Sorry I missed you Keith. Homebound Saturday for the most part. Sunday did not allow me to get away too far from town either.

As an update however both the gals here were in synch on Doc appointments so I had the cruiser and the morning to play with. Despite a pretty heavy downfall I figured I might get some time at the site. Headed in and got there between storms and immediately pulled out one mem cent and two crusty greens. But that was it as the storm moved in quick and made a wet weather whimp of me.

As an aside however and for all concerned, I dropped in the tunnel on the way back to the car, holed up there with a few park people who were not testing their raingear. Talked it up and they said the work is going to continue there as they actually intend to build a long, narrow harbor there for sculling and kayaking, perhaps in anticipation of the Olympics.

So for you locals in the city, keep an eye on developments there, it could be a long, busy and productive md'ing season around those parts!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Lowbatts said:
As an aside however and for all concerned, I dropped in the tunnel on the way back to the car, holed up there with a few park people who were not testing their raingear. Talked it up and they said the work is going to continue there as they actually intend to build a long, narrow harbor there for sculling and kayaking, perhaps in anticipation of the Olympics.

So for you locals in the city, keep an eye on developments there, it could be a long, busy and productive md'ing season around those parts!
OMG!!! :) :) :) And the price of gas is going the wrong way!!! :(

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Lowbatts said:
Sorry I missed you Keith. Homebound Saturday for the most part. Sunday did not allow me to get away too far from town either.

As an update however both the gals here were in synch on Doc appointments so I had the cruiser and the morning to play with. Despite a pretty heavy downfall I figured I might get some time at the site. Headed in and got there between storms and immediately pulled out one mem cent and two crusty greens. But that was it as the storm moved in quick and made a wet weather whimp of me.

Dang LB you ARE THE MAN for that info. Thanks a million. Us etrackers from Indiana (and Texas) will keep an eye on that and let ya know if anything changes. BTW I had a nice time while we were there at the beach. It was nice to meet new MDers and visit with the guys from north Chicago. Hope we can all get together again sometime this year. TMAN...

Tony_L

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2008
etrac007 said:

therein lies the problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
The next day there were only 15 people there, and many left before noon. At least 10 more silver on Sunday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread