Groups sue to shut down all Federal grazing starting with the 1850s historical farms

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Groups sue to shut down all Federal grazing starting with the 1850's historic...

Point Reyes: Lawsuit challenges historic ranching operations at iconic park - San Jose Mercury News

"If the lawsuit is successful, he added, the coalition plans to try to reduce or remove livestock from some of the roughly 30 other national parks that allow grazing, a list that includes Death Valley, Pinnacles in San Benito County and Mojave National Preserve".

Three groups are suing the National Park Service in San Francisco District Court in hopes of shutting down the historic dairy farms at Point Reyes National Seashore. These farms have been operating since the 1850's and the park was established in 1962. The farms have a long history of responsible farming and work closely with the park service and even the local environmental groups until a group from Idaho and a couple of others one local decided to file suit.

I listened to a radio show in which one of the groups project leaders referred to the family farmers that have been there for 160 plus years as "polluting special interests" and says they are "welfare grazing" he also claims "they like to shoot elk." The nps is actually the ones that have to euthanize an occasional elk that strays into a farm as they carry a disease harmful to cattle but this group has no problem trying to gain support through shock value or labeling family farms as polluting special interests. For the record I like elk and cows more than any of these people hiding under the cover of environmental stewardship as I have spent days out there taking photos and recording video of them...

Next of note is no groups around here would lend there name to this suit in support and even the local very enviro friendly audience called in to the show and remarked on social media that it was a bad idea and that it would ruin the history and the area. The groups response was that they have 3000 local supporters and that it is part of a bigger project to remove farming in other federal areas...

How can three groups with money and lawyers start a real threat to ban all federal grazing without any actual support? If three small groups can just sue the govt force studies and closures by slandering and targeting hardworking people; then essentially destroy the history and culture of an area with little pushback or attention this speaks volumes as to how well they have this land closure game figured out. Their strategy is methodical, targeting small areas and groups getting case law, forcing studies for use in court and moving on.

I know this is off the subject of gold but I looked around and there aren't any places I could find to post this as I think it's important to other areas and maybe overlapping land concerns and am open to suggestions as to groups to share this in that may want to follow this case. I looked at farming forums real quick but didn't see this case and I'll make an acct and post this on a couple after work tonight. Also I think it's an issue that affects off-roaders, fisherman, hunters, farmers and miners to name a few as the same groups generally work on these closures.

Ran out of room on the title sorry not best title and can't edit:) Anyways the rest was obviously at PRNSeashore anyways thanks for reading. Alex

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A childish, thoughtless recipe for some unbelievable fires. Hopefully rational minds will prevail. Right

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A childish, thoughtless recipe for some unbelievable fires. Hopefully rational minds will prevail. Right

I would hope . But the world we live in , who knows .

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can tell you the farmers will lose. The Government always sides with the ones who have nothing to gain from this type if thing.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
The real welfare recipients are the green facist groups, who sue the government and the people on their own dime.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that in the end , the miners will lose also . I would hope that we all win the good fight .

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm lucky , I grow my own . It's better that way .

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
These groups like to use the EAJA (Equal access to justice for all) to file their suits which mean that the public is paying for them. They've been using the endangered species act and the famous "Sue and settle" tactics against miners and other users of the public lands for years now. When they win their suit, it's John Q.Public that is paying for it via our tax dollars. Most of the environmental groups started out way back when with lofty notions of saving the planet but once they got a whiff of the money to be made by suing the government, all of those noble intentions went right out the door to be replaced by pure greed.

The vast majority of the public land users I know are responsible folk that clean up after themselves without having to have someone from the green gestapo chasing after us. They wrongly accuse us of pollution when in fact we work hard to clean up the messes left by those few that don't care about our public lands and access to them. Miners especially are known for this while the Green Gestapo MIGHT do one weekend cleanup a year for the cameras from the local television stations.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Groups sue to shut down all Federal grazing starting with the 1850's historic...

Yeah there may be a silver lining though if it fails and garners attention of the media here. Environmental groups get cut a lot of slack by the public that assumes that they are looking out for the best for them and the environment. We obviously know not all of these groups have the public's best interest in mind but it is often a hard argument to make to my neighbors and friends here in the Bay Area.

The groups with this suit are targeting the farms that produce the $10 a dozen! eggs and $7 a gallon milk that the very wealthy, powerful, left leaning, organic and sustainable farm loving people here in Marin eat daily.

By going after the farms at Point Reyes and it is a perfect example of the disconnect between good necessary environmentalism we saw in the past and the rabid environuts that have made there way into the movement nowadays under the cover of caring about people and the environment.

It is about time the people around here get to see firsthand that not every environmental group is like they imagine or used to be. These isn't the save the world hippy movement people remember anymore and it's about time people around here saw that firsthand.

The reason they probably decided to do this case here is probably because they will get the least pushback and feel the court may side with them. It's hard to get people fired up as "they are just asking for a study" and the public is often not understanding what's after the study..

Hopefully they made a miscalculation on the limited public resentment they will incur doing this and they will lose the case and be exposed as the heartless, greedy, selfish people that would burn down their house to make toast that they are.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The enviro's are out to give human feeling and thought process to everything of earth to make them their equal . I don't believe in cruelty to any living thing , but I do believe they were put here to sustain humans as food . That being said , I'm an ethical hunter ,fisherman etc . I may take heat for that from some , they have a right too their opinion . That does'nt mean any of us are correct . The fact is the ecosystem has been messed with since the dawn of time , buy man and mother nature . No body really knows , when the time will change for another malenia . Live and let Live . The government has forgoten this basic rule , they now take and make things unavailable , The things that the first people that got here from England and everywhere else faut for to make this nation great .

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be nice to see the money go directly back to the resorce they are suing over . That way , it could be used for derect restoration of that area , of coarse the money would not be under their control for it to work . They should also have to pay their own attourney fees , as a donation .

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It would be nice to see the money go directly back to the resorce they are suing over . That way , it could be used for derect restoration of that area , of coarse the money would not be under their control for it to work . They should also have to pay their own attourney fees , as a donation .

There is nothing to restore out there it is perfect how it is. This whole thing is because some people want to restore it to pre 1850's conditions and kick the farmers out of not just here but other parks.

I agree with other posts and it would be nice if people would look into some of these projects and groups further and I wish I had the time or resources to contribute but like most of us I'm busy working and with other life things, and not something I think I'm qualified to run even with resources/money. But a watchdog group for the industry would obviously be a great idea to make sure groups are being ethical.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Center for Biological Diversity are not environmentalists they are self serving litigators. Their "firm" is made up of 80% lawyers, they actually have only a handful of "environmentalists" on the payroll. Whose function is more than likely nothing more than providing proper verbage and basic background for the lawsuits. They use the environmental format because as was said earlier, the people will back them because they think they are looking after them. WRONG, as this shows they will sue anybody, no one is exempt they are just further down the line from being sued themselves.
No different than when they filed suits against dredging. The government agencies initially recognized what was common sense and realistic but capitulated to the CBD and their cronies because of the financial damage they would incur. Unfortunately it won't matter that the preserve was created to preserve the land for ranching, in conjunction with environmental groups to stop land development. The case won't be settled on the grounds of moral common sense principals it will be settled to prevent further law suits and to stop the ongoing money hemoraging. The environment and saving it has nothing to do with it all, that's smoke and mirrors. The CBD has figured out a formula for income that as of yet cannot be stopped, that will pay them countless dividends in perpetude. By attacking those that have helped them they are now showing that they think they are beyond reproach. I too hope that by turning on these folks it awakens the rest of this country as to who and what these so called "Environmental Organizatons" are.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, it is never mentioned that after over 150 years of grazing these land masses are in excellent condition. In such good shape that they become National Parks! The hoops that the ranchers are required to jump through would boggle your mind. The EPA, USFW, Parks Service [ the list goes on] have some ridiculous conditions and requirements.The grass on these allotments have belonged to these families long before there ever was a National Parks System.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
There is nothing to restore out there it is perfect how it is. This whole thing is because some people want to restore it to pre 1850's conditions and kick the farmers out of not just here but other parks.

I agree with other posts and it would be nice if people would look into some of these projects and groups further and I wish I had the time or resources to contribute but like most of us I'm busy working and with other life things, and not something I think I'm qualified to run even with resources/money. But a watchdog group for the industry would obviously be a great idea to make sure groups are being ethical.

LOL....that word does not exist anymore, more like PROFIT is stuck in their heads.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CBD has 119 environmental lawyers working for them, the problem is not just the environmental groups
It's that the University's keep pumping out these law students there are now so many there are no more
places for them to go but government work, so now they have worked their way into complete control of
state agency's, legislation and governors office, they can run the government with complete impunity.
it's like the last Governor in Oregon he surrounded himself with lawyers yet when he had to release his
emails not a single email to or from his natural resources staff even though the issue of why he stepped down
was his girlfriend Cylvia Hayes was taking money from environmental groups, because they were lawyers and
even if they were involved they are above the law.

my opinion is the infiltration of environmentalist into the government is no different than like
in the 1920's when the KKK tried to do the same thing but this time its a complete takeover.
something needs to be done, maybe under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 deprivation of rights? I don't know...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Enforcement_Act_of_1871

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions