GSBS

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Well the Great Southern Beach Shootout is over and I found out that this is the last one. How sad! I really enjoyed going to that hunt. It is really the only one that I attend and I look forward to it every year. I like meeting everyone and often get to meet people I only know on the forums.

It was a great weekend with lots of fun and prizes were great. The only glitch was when someone decided to be "funny" and salted the hunt field with a lot of pennies. We got most of them before the hunt started so it wasn't too bad. Then the next day someone (same person?) salted the hunt field with tiny pieces of folded up and balls of tinfoil. Again we got most of it up before the hunt started.

MVC-767S.jpg

I took a few pictures (who am I kidding?) I took lots and LOTS of pictures and I have started working on slideshows. This time I am going to make several small shows and put them up on You Tube to view instead of one long one. I will let you all know when they are ready and where they can be found. Just be patient because I have lots of pictures to go through and still have more coming in! Meanwhile here are a few pictures to whet your appetite!

DSCF0080.jpg

DSCF0082.jpg

MVC-813S.jpg

MVC-814S.jpg

100_2709.jpg

Remember the little statue that was made of me?​

Mumsiefinished.jpg

Well the guy that carves those was there. Jim!​

MVC-887S.jpg

You will recognize some of the winners. They are regulars on T-net!

How about that Goldinwater & Ron Lord!​

100_2919.jpg

100_2946.jpg

And the grand prize winner.....​

100_2980a.jpg

Yep it was a great time and it is sad that this was the last one! So be patient..... there's more to come!

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics, Mumszie :thumbsup: Man, that's a lot of people detecting, dirty rotten shame someone has to seed "trash" in there. What did you win?

:wink: RR

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome job on the photos I know you have a couple more ;D ;D will be watching for them

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Well Bill I do happen to have one or two more..... LOL I'm working on them.

We had almost 200 hunters out there this time not counting the kids and of course the spectators! It was awsome!

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was the last one and I missed it. CRAP!!!!!!! I had every intention of making it this year and then I had to go and hurt my back. DOUBLE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm very sorry to hear it's the last one. Looks like there was plenty of fun to be had. Too bad there won't be one next year. Did they give a reason?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to Belle, and there is the possibility it may return after a year. The problem is the economy, and not knowing how many hunters will show.

She has to guarantee to be able to rent so many rooms in order to get the banquet hall, if they cancel they owe a fee that is in the thousands, and the closer to the date of the hunts the higher the fee owed if canceled. The cost of the detectors for prizes have gone up increasing their costs as well.

As of Friday morning there were only approximately 130 registered, but by Friday evening there were 50+ more walk ins. I suggested maybe they emailed those who attended explaining and see if more hunters would sign up ahead of time.

As always it was a lot of fun, and I will miss it next year. I always started looking forward to it the day after the last one was over.....

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sounds like they (organizers) should look for a different venue. There are plenty of beaches in St. Johns county just north of Daytona. Many of the hotels would love to have a group like that. Corporate sponsorship for the prize machines should be able to reduce the costs. If the manufactures can't donate the machines in return for advertising, then dealers should step up to the plate. I know Kellyco does good work in sponsoring events, but there are other dealers that would love to compete for the advertising. I stumbled upon a Garrett dealer in NJ that blows away the price of Kellyco. I'm sure people don't even know they exist as their main business line is supplies for coin collectors.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I have to agree with Treasure_Hunter. I look forward to thei hunt every year. I talk about it all year long. I love it! I hope they can manage to have it again. We will just have to wait and see.

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mumszie.We had a great time there.Thank you all.
Some pics;
3422393379_15930f7060_b.jpg

3423161160_010958b1f6_b.jpg

3423173370_16315d24d6_b.jpg

3423216176_a2c57540d7_b.jpg

3423152892_d1ffa45aba_b.jpg

3422379047_796650f46c_b.jpg

3422399309_caac4d824c_b.jpg
"Good Luck"
And many more.............

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a real great time. Too bad someone had to try and spoil it by seeding junk. Sorry to hear that its the last hunt. I'm sure a lot of people are going to miss it.

Gypsy huntress

Aug 10, 2007
West Palm Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
White XL Pro; Minelab Excalibur; Garrett Infinium; Garrett 250; Fisher CZ-3D; Tesoro Silver Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mumszie,

Great seeing you at the Shootout. Wish we had time to chat! Look forward to your slide shows and more pictures.

Gypsy Huntress

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions