Gt Royal headphones

darbygill

Greenie
May 8, 2013
Do these headphones come with any kind of warranty and are the worth fixing? They came with my MXT Pro that I bought new and have had less than a month and I think the third time out these we're shorting out in the left ear. So now I spend half my hunt slapping myself on the side of the head to make the other side work. I still have my bonus bucks to spend so are the $120 whites headphones this junky or are the comparable to the other expensive headphones?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Th GT's are crap! I hate mine. Duuno if they have a warranty but I'd guess no. Even if they did I wouldn't pay shipping to have that crap fixed! Just cheap azz junk!

I also have the Whites ProStars. Those are really nice. Worth the money!

*edit* your left ear problem may just be a loose wire. If you have soldering iron you can fix it up in 2min. I had the same issue with mine.

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya those gt's ah no not really sure y they would even give u those with the mxt they should just stay in the coinmaster series
As of whites headphones I cant help ya i got 2 pairs but they r the wireless ones so they dont work with that friend of mine uses the sunrays which look & he says they r pretty good u do get What u payfor most of the time

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep they are not very good and you really need a good set to hear those deep whisper targets that are usually the good old deep coins. HH

shadowcat1971

May 5, 2012
Northern MN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT E series with sunray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey wing master, got a question. When you say whisper soft signals, what do you mean by that? You hear a repeatable tone? What does a whisper soft beep sound like? Isn't a beep, a beep? Hope it's not a dumb question? I might be missing a lot of stuff then. Thanks!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey wing master, got a question. When you say whisper soft signals, what do you mean by that? You hear a repeatable tone? What does a whisper soft beep sound like? Isn't a beep, a beep? Hope it's not a dumb question? I might be missing a lot of stuff then. Thanks!

No its not a stupid question a stupid question would b one not asked the whisper would b like u said when u start to get to know ur tones on ur detector u know if they r tones of a good target verse a bad so when ur headphones r on & u hear a good tone but just barley its whisper meaning very deep & ur detector is just pickin it if it was close to the top it would b nice & loud so further down in there it gets quieter & quieter, & thats y u want those nice duel volume headphones so u can hear those, most likley when ur not using the headphones ur not hearing those real deep tagets getting picked up by ur detector

shadowcat1971

May 5, 2012
Northern MN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT E series with sunray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using the stock maroon whites that came with my XLT, and I always use headphones, should I upgrade to a better pair? Because I don't ever hear whisper soft sounds. If I go over a shallow target, that is a target that sounds good that's in my accepted discrimination, it's obviously loud in my headphones, if I pass over something deeper that's repeatable, I get the same sound, it's not whisper quiet, and sometimes if something is really deep and I get a loud good tone, but far from repeatable, I pinpoint it in all metal mode, dig, and most time there's nothing there. Any suggestions? I feel I know my machine well but never hear whisper quiet signals. Always wanted to know what other people consider whisper quiet. Thanks for any info!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using the stock maroon whites that came with my XLT, and I always use headphones, should I upgrade to a better pair? Because I don't ever hear whisper soft sounds. If I go over a shallow target, that is a target that sounds good that's in my accepted discrimination, it's obviously loud in my headphones, if I pass over something deeper that's repeatable, I get the same sound, it's not whisper quiet, and sometimes if something is really deep and I get a loud good tone, but far from repeatable, I pinpoint it in all metal mode, dig, and most time there's nothing there. Any suggestions? I feel I know my machine well but never hear whisper quiet signals. Always wanted to know what other people consider whisper quiet. Thanks for any info!

I would at least start looking & comparing some aftermarket headphones will make a big difference in ur hearing those targets there are alot to choose from sunray golds r very nice, grey ghost nice the list goes on & ull get alot of good choices same as detectors its whats ur budget for them. But yes for ur question more comfort mayb an option on a pair but will make it much better for u

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the royal GT headphones to start with and I'm sure that I missed some really deep whisper targets, now I got the koss that whites used to sell and they are way better than the royal GT's for sure. IT would be nice to have a set with the built in limiter so those overload signals won't blow your ears off though. HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GT's are not very good phones and mostly crap out on ya. I suggest you get to a detector shop and try on a few pair of Detector Pro's, like Grey Ghosts, Black Widow's. There are others like Killer Bee's, etc. I use the Black Widow's for comfort and being able to hear the deepest whispers. They have limiters on them too.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
For the most part the head phones that come with the detector no matter what detector company makes the detector.are real crap......... It seems like these detector companies get the cheapest crap they can to put with there detectors........I had the GT head phones and got rid of them.....

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the most part the head phones that come with the detector no matter what detector company makes the detector.are real crap......... It seems like these detector companies get the cheapest crap they can to put with there detectors........I had the GT head phones and got rid of them.....

For most part absolutly agree but What about for instance i got the v3i no choices there on the wireless no lagg very clear to & then the minelabe ctx there wireless again only ones & last but not leadt the dues xp those wireless ones not sure how to compare those 3 cuz there r none to compare to for wireless & none of them lag whatso ever

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
For most part absolutly agree but What about for instance i got the v3i no choices there on the wireless no lagg very clear to & then the minelabe ctx there wireless again only ones & last but not leadt the dues xp those wireless ones not sure how to compare those 3 cuz there r none to compare to for wireless & none of them lag whatso ever
Agree on those headphones ...BUT you have paid for them in the detector cost......With out those phones you would pay less for the detector...

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree on those headphones ...BUT you have paid for them in the detector cost......With out those phones you would pay less for the detector...

True they r good but I do think alittle over priced seeing is how i wanted to show my wife how the v3i sounds with headphones I ended up buying 2 pairs

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as inexpensive headphones go, the White's Royal GT's are actually pretty good. The things I like about them are: a really long cord, and the ear muffs and headband are not cheap plastic and have lots of padding. They are pretty comfortable for long wear, actually. However, there is a lot of room for improvement. I replaced the speakers with 600 ohm speakers from Mouser, as well as the pots. I also inserted high density foam into the shells. I now have a high quality set of headphones that are ideal for loaners or backups.
The last expensive set of headphones I bought were Ratphones. Unfortunately they are no longer in production. Fortunately, this forced me to learn how to make my own headphones at a huge cost savings!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I got a pair of SunRay Gold Pro after several years of using poor quality headphones. These are great, just ordered another pair from Bart at Big Boys! He shipped them out right away, should have them for this weekend!
I am interested in seeing what people think of SunRay Gold versus Grey Ghost. I like the switches on the SunRay, as they have a rubber boot to keep dirt out.

Any feedback on that comparison?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a pair of SunRay Gold Pro after several years of using poor quality headphones. These are great, just ordered another pair from Bart at Big Boys! He shipped them out right away, should have them for this weekend!
I am interested in seeing what people think of SunRay Gold versus Grey Ghost. I like the switches on the SunRay, as they have a rubber boot to keep dirt out.

Any feedback on that comparison?

Barts shipping is just unbelievable I have never ordered something from anyone & got it so quickly. Definetly takes care of his people :)

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bart absolutely has the best customer service skills and prices. I bought an AT Pro from him last Sunday via an email. He answered me in seconds and had an invoice ready to go. Shipped Monday for free and I had it Thursday.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Your question leaves a lot of information out that is required to provide a direct answer, so here are some questions for you:
1. do you have silent search 'ON'?
2. if silent search is 'OFF', how loud is your threshold? It should be as low as you can get it and still hear it. It should be a whisper itself.
3. is modulation 'ON'? If it is 'OFF', all targets will have the same volume.

The Royal GT headphones that you are using really aren't that bad. They have an extra long cord, which is nice. The muffs on the ear cups, while not genuine leather, are not the smooth, hard, plastic, or sweat soaked foam that really cheap headphones use. They are soft, supple, and relatively comfortable for long term wear. The speakers are fairly low resistance, which means that they can be very loud (not necessarily a good thing), the ear cups are empty, which gives everything a "hollow" sound (again, not good). The cord sheath is fairly brittle, and will split at the point it enters the headphones, letting the wires inside eventually break. And finally, the volume knobs are pretty inexpensive pots, and will introduce scratchiness pretty quickly.
Keeping in mind that pretty much all metal detecting headphones are built on safety ear muffs, it's easy to see that upgrading the Royal GT headphones is easy, and inexpensive. Simply opening them up and inserting high density foam into the cups will do wonders for the sound quality. And if you can solder at all, high quality 300 or 600 ohm speakers can be had for $5.00 each or less. Finally, the pots (volume knobs) can also be replaced with quality pots for less than $5.00 each as well. So, for $25.00 or less, you can have a set of headphones that are light weight, comfortable, and perform on the level of the Grey Ghosts, Sun Rays, and others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread