gta 1000 is it good?

1shotcleaner

hi i am new and i don't know what to do. i have a nice but used Garrett gta 1000 i watched the video and read the book and headed out today. at the park with my sons while they were sledding i looked for treasure but it took a while to find soft ground but i found a spot and then started searching in no time i found 6 items 3 trash and 3 coins one was on edge so i think that was good. the problem i am having is with the pinpointing and the sweep speed the target isn't in the center of the coil and the depth is way off. does the snow and ice affect readings? and is coin preset good for looking in snow and ice? it also made allot of beeps that would not repeat the things i found were clearly there but to the left rear of the target:center of coil"if anyone has first hand knowledge of this unit or the conditions pleas help. thanks 1shotcleaner

Upvote 0
OP
OP

1shotcleaner

OK ill try this again after using my MD for about 2.0 hrs it started finding a lot of ghosts. i did find 3 dimes a 68 73 and a01 and 7 trash items is the coil watter proof? if it gets wet can it be dried and it has that same thing going on that the 350 problem? has if the coil is taped or shaken it beeps whats that about?help if you can thanks 1shotcleaner

AlabamaClay

Dec 27, 2004
1shot,
I have a GTA 1000 and I have the same problem. The pinpointing seems off when the ground is wet and I too get "ghost" readings. You may find out something on the Garrett web forum - http://www.findmall.com/cgi-bin/forums/garrett_detector/garrett.pl. I'm haven't looked there for help on this problem. Unfortunately for us, detecting is not like the videos where every signal is clear and repeatable and every find is silver or gold. (plus a cinch to dig.)

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Hey oneshotcleaner,

I owned and used a gta1000 for 6 years and logged a lot of battery use on it. I found it did false if you bumped the coil a lot. I had no complaints about it infact it was a good machine for parks schools etc. The more time you spend with it the more you will get used to it. I did use it for almost year before I felt like I understood all of its ways. I rarely used the preset programs, preferring to use custom. As I like to find lots of small pieces of trash. If I can help you with this machine send me an email
hh
dave-enc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread