GTAx 400 or GTA Ultra 1000

Elwood P. Dowd

Sep 12, 2008
I am new so...
I would think that the 1000 would be obviously higher in ability but the "x" on GTA makes the 400 seem like a newer branch of detectors.

I am looking for my first real detector and I may have an opportunity to buy one of these. The Ultra is about $30 cheaper than the GTAx 400.

Please give me feedback on these and any other detector you may consider worthy.

This is going to sound brazenly stupid: I know the ACE 250 is extremely popular; but for some reason it seems "over popular". I can't help but feel uninterested just looking at it. I have no logical explanation for feeling that way. I probably have issues of some kind.... :tard:

Plug popper

Aug 23, 2010
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GMH CXlll Garrett Master Hunter 10x Garrett master hunter 7x Garrett MH ADS 6 master hunter 5x
H i had one of the 400 gtax's it was a good littel detector.The depth was not bad and it swung nice and easy. What i did not like was it had no pinpoint on it. The 400 has the crossfire ii coil on it and that's a plus as they do a littel better job on depth' but it's not much. Now the 1000 has the pinpoint but not the crossfire ii coil if i am thinking right here. Me and this is just me i would never buy one without the pinpoint' as this is a big plus. Here is some food for thought. Buy the best you can afford. Take the time to learn how to use it'an don't give up. When i started i had old TR detector with no meter on it. Let me tell you i dug enough tinfoil to fill a dump truck 'but it wasn't long after all the diggen i could here the sound of tinfoil a mile away. Not always but most of the time. Point is learn what the detector telling you. Now don't sell the Ace 250 short that many pepole cant be wrong. I have heard a lot of good things about the 250 and from what i have read it is a coin vacuum it's light and easy to use. If i was just starting out and could afford it' this would be my choice' but again that just me and what i think others my think differently. I hope i helped and have a nice day Plug popper.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out 10 years ago with a GTAx 400. I had gotten interested in detecting by the Whites commercials. I found a local dealer with every intention of buying a Whites. The dealer convinced me to buy the 400. I hunted beaches (dry sand), parks and private property w/permission. It was a good starter machine for me. I liked the notch discrimination initially, but after a while, I realized I was basically digging everything. Since most rings normally register in the pulltab/nickel range, some even in the foil range. As a beginner I didn't want to dig the junk, just the good stuff. :wink: Bear in mind, I hunted for 5 years before I found Tnet. You've found Tnet before you even started, so you are in good shape.

I used the 400 for about 6 years then purchased a Tesoro Silver Umax. It's lighter than the 400, it doesn't have a screen to look at, it runs on 1 9 volt vs 8 AA batteries. Once I started using the Umax, the 400 sat in the closet. I bought the 3x18 clean sweep coil and the 12x10 coil for the umax.

Since I also have a Sovereign GT, I can also recommend it. At the beach, when I can't get in the water with my Tiger Shark, I hunt the wet sand and very shallow water with my Sov GT w/ 15in WOT coil. I love it.

Overall, I would say any of the machines I talked about would serve you well. I would read as many detector reviews that you can find. After you narrow it down to few choices, find a local muti line dealer and try them out for yourself. Just because a bunch of people like a detector, doesn't mean that you will.

Good luck and welcome to Tnet.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i have a gta 1000 that i used for several years and loved it, pinpointing was great, and it was very easy to use. i just upgraded to he gti 1500 and the only difference between the 1000 that i used to use is the 1500 has the size imaging. never used a 400 so i'm not sure how those are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions