GTAx 550 Depth Problems

stikman

Greenie
May 25, 2008
NE Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I just got my first detector, a GTAx 550, about 2 weeks ago. I was having a lot of fun with it and getting a bit addicted until 2 days ago when I did a bench test with it. I found that I'm only picking up coins at 3-4 inches during air test. This happens throughout the depth range in and out of discriminate modes. I am getting larger objects (can sized) at only 10 inches. In Pinpoint mode though, I am picking up coins at up to 10 inches and larger objects at well over 2 feet. I'm not sure if I've got a defective coil, or if the processor is messed up. I'd like to contact someone that would know what may be wrong with my detector. I don't think that Garrett would be much help, as I bought this detector used. Also I'd like to find anyone in my general area NE of Topeka. I want to be happy with this hobby.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
stikman said:
I just got my first detector, a GTAx 550, about 2 weeks ago. I was having a lot of fun with it and getting a bit addicted until 2 days ago when I did a bench test with it. I found that I'm only picking up coins at 3-4 inches during air test. This happens throughout the depth range in and out of discriminate modes. I am getting larger objects (can sized) at only 10 inches. In Pinpoint mode though, I am picking up coins at up to 10 inches and larger objects at well over 2 feet. I'm not sure if I've got a defective coil, or if the processor is messed up. I'd like to contact someone that would know what may be wrong with my detector. I don't think that Garrett would be much help, as I bought this detector used. Also I'd like to find anyone in my general area NE of Topeka. I want to be happy with this hobby.
I had a GTA 1500 that would not air test over about 3 inches.....I checked it in my test garden and if a coin was 4 inches down it would not pick it up ...........But my ace 250 would pick a dime up at over 6 inches in the test garden......and my ace 250 would air test a dime over 6 inches...........i sent mine back to Garrett 2 times it came back was ok for a month both times and then went back to the same thing......I got rid of it..................Now for sending it to Garrett for repair they don't care if you bought it new or used they will repair it for you..................I never trusted my 1500 after that ......so that is why i got rid of it.....................................Good luck..........HH

OP
OP
S

stikman

Greenie
May 25, 2008
NE Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Do you recall whether or not they let you know what was wrong with the detector?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
stikman said:
....or how much they charged you for repair?
The first time they charged me $40.00 the second time they did it free of charge..................for what they did they said they had to replace a chip in it what kind i don't know what part it was i can't find the sheet right now but it did not tell what part it was only said electronic chip.....Sorry but that all i can tell you........I don't know any more............

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Garrett will do a repair some times and will not charge you they don't care if you bought it new or used...for it is their detector that they made.......in Texas ...Call them they might be able to tell you over the phone what is wrong you might not have to send it in....phone toll free.........1-800-527-4011

OP
OP
S

stikman

Greenie
May 25, 2008
NE Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I called Garrett and sent it off Tuesday. They told me that repair would be $40.00 including return shipping. Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal to me.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope it turns out good for you.But make your self a test garden and bury coins at diffrent depths any were from 4 inches to 8 inches and keep checking to see if keeps picking up the deep coins.you can try up to 10 inches but it might not pick up that deep.......Check it in your test garden before you go out to make sure it is working right.....After i had mine repaired the first time it went bad again in about 4 months .......I hunted one day for 2 hours was not picking up any thing i would put a coin on the ground it would pick it up....Then i just put a coin about 2 inches in the ground and it would not pick it up..So check it every time before you go out after you get it back........................==Jim==

OP
OP
S

stikman

Greenie
May 25, 2008
NE Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I should get the detector tomorrow. I went ahead and paid a little extra for overnight delivery. They didn't end up having to replace a chip. They said that the "power cord" needed replacing; that it had a short in it which was causing a lack of power, thus a lack of depth. They went ahead a replaced the battery holders also

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your coins don't fly around I would not care to much about the air test results...
The ground has a completely different composition then the air.
Air tests could only give you an idea though no reliable source of information. :thumbsup:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin mode on that thing is almost worthless unless the coin is not deep or laying flat. For some reason i get better results in all metal mode which is a real workout in trashy areas....aa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread