Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have had this Garrett 550 for almost 4 years now and I am still trying to figure this darn thing out. Don't get me wrong this thing is awesome at finding coins but to this day I have never found one stinking gold ring or necklace or anything of real significant value. every time I get a nickle/pull-tab reading its almost always that, a stinking pull tab. So my question is am I just hunting really junky areas or am I just not reading my detector right? There are a lot of targets that I end up not digging because the target is showing up as a bottle top or an iron target or foil????? Does anyone else have this detector and if so have you found a way to use it efficiently and what targets do you have on the discrimination list. Any help would be great full.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope this helps, gold is found all over your screen. Gold rings i found show up a little to the left of 1 cent. Small earings about where the bottle cap is. Almost every where in the middle of those gold can be found. Old sayin dig everthing. :read2:

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
hope this helps, gold is found all over your screen. Gold rings i found show up a little to the left of 1 cent. Small earings about where the bottle cap is. Almost every where in the middle of those gold can be found. Old sayin dig everthing. :read2:

yeah that does help a little I usually skip over the targets in the middle thinking they are iron targets. anyone else with more info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for the help :thumbsup:

renogeoff

Jan 27, 2010
Carson City NV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EuroTek Pro/Explorer II/Safari/ACE 250,Classic IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold can come in like a nickel, or even as high as a zinc penny. So many hole to dig to find it! Best bet to look for rings are ball fields where people play, but don't bring soda cans nearby so it won't have a lot of pull tabs. Then dig everything above iron.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carson, I got my first detector last year...it's the GTAx550. I found a ton of good stuff, lots of silver coins and jewelry. After a few months, I too was frustrated by not finding any gold. So I decided to try something new--I went back to a site that I had hunted several times, but this time decided to dig EVERY signal that wasn't iron. It was a lot of work, but I was rewarded with a couple junk rings and then I hit solid gold! This cuff link is my first gold.
Anyway I learned that if you want to find gold, you need to find a good spot to hunt, and do a lot of digging! Good luck, I hope you find some gold!

Attachments

• c20.JPG
    c20.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 276

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J.Cache said:
Carson, I got my first detector last year...it's the GTAx550. I found a ton of good stuff, lots of silver coins and jewelry. After a few months, I too was frustrated by not finding any gold. So I decided to try something new--I went back to a site that I had hunted several times, but this time decided to dig EVERY signal that wasn't iron. It was a lot of work, but I was rewarded with a couple junk rings and then I hit solid gold! This cuff link is my first gold.
Anyway I learned that if you want to find gold, you need to find a good spot to hunt, and do a lot of digging! Good luck, I hope you find some gold!
yup :thumbsup:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand where you're coming from. My first detector was GTAx 400. That was almost 11 years ago. It took me just over 5 years to find my first gold ring. I was hunting the places you would think you find gold; beaches, parks, etc. I dug everything above iron. Many times I would get soooo frustrated when on the beach and the screen would tell me it was a quarter and I dig up a beer cap. I couldn't understand why I wasn't finding any gold. My coil swing was good, low and level and overlapping. Unfortunately, the trash far outweighs the treasure in most cases. After finding first gold ring, it felt like a weight had been lifted off of me. It was only a little 10k ring, but you would of thought I just dug up a treasure chest. Persevere and you will find the gold! Good luck :icon_thumleft:

BTW, that 10k gold ring came up as a pulltab on my detector.

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, I just air tested the GTAx 350 that came in the mail today and a gold chain made no sound on the detector at all and registered as trash, I guess I have to change the discrmination a bit.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chains are hard for alot of machines to hit. Might need a dedicated gold machine for it.

shufflr

Mar 8, 2014
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Wife's $9000 engagement ring comes up as a solid nickel on my GTAx 550.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread