GTI 1500 Questions.....

Digger Jim

Feb 18, 2010
Hello,

Can anyone answer these GTI 1500 questions?

1) Why do you rarely see any used ones offered for sale.

2) Why doesn't anyone talk about them very much here on the forums

3) Will it get dimes and pennies at 7" with the 9-1/2" loop.

4) Anyone using the 8-1/2" X 11" DD Coil and getting really deep coins

5) Last.. I bought one. Did I make a bad choice and be better off trading it in on a another detector instead? From what I read about it I thought it would be a good machine for the $$$, but now I'm having doubts since the above questions are on my mind.

I have detected with Whites: 6000 Di Pro, Quantum XT, XL Pro, M6 and DFX in the past so I am no stranger to coinhunting. I mostly hunt parks and schools for coins and sports fields for jewelry. This is my first Garrett detector.

Thanks,

Digger Jim

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a GTI 1500 and used to like it till I sent it in for repair and it came back not the same, so I don't use it anymore. I never did find deep coins with it but in the same location my Tejon did so I know they are there. I just felt the larger coil was to heavy for max fun and didn't use it much. Not much talking about it on the these forums as many upgraded to the 2500.

The 1500 is a nice knock around coin getter with a screen and size image display. Has good disc abilities. I just wasn't into looking at a screen.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i love mine and the imaging feature is great, i normally get coins 4-8 inches without problems and cans will ring up deeper and thats with the stock coil. i also have the 11x14 DD but just got that a month ago and haven't had a chance to use it yet because of snow and hard ground. the imaging saves me tons of time not digging up non-coin sized targets so i'm diggin far less trash.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
1) Why do you rarely see any used ones offered for sale?

Because imaging it is patented to only Garrett, and those who use the imaging are aware of it's usefulness when coin and jewellery hunting. Most people keep the machines.

2) Why doesn't anyone talk about them very much here on the forums?

Because they have been around for a very long time, and all the discussions are directed at the ACE Series and the new AT Pro. If you go back at least a couple of years, you will in fact see some posts pertaining to the GTI 1500 or GTI 2500.

3) Will it get dimes and pennies at 7" with the 9-1/2" loop?

It can under the right conditions. Depth of a target is relative to the mineralization in the soil it is in, it's orientation to the search coil, size, what it's made of, moisture in the soil...(there are more)

4) Anyone using the 8-1/2" X 11" DD Coil and getting really deep coins?

Well yes, and again depth is relative, however, DD coils will penetrate deeper in mineralized soil and salted wet sand.

5) Last.. I bought one. Did I make a bad choice and be better off trading it in on a another detector instead?

You made an excellent choice :thumbsup: You have probably the best coin hunting machine available. Digging only coin sized objects gets you more coins, because you are not waisting your time digging junk. for added depth, you can switch to a larger coil, or, save up for another detector which excels in another area be it water or depth. Most metal detector users own more then one detector.

You also purchased a very well, solid built metal detector built by a reputable company, which has been building detectors for over 30 years, made in the USA, backs its products and has the best customer service available.

Hope this helps....... :icon_sunny:

Attachments

• GTI 1500 controls (2).jpg
    GTI 1500 controls (2).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 206
  • GTI 1500 controls (2).jpg
    GTI 1500 controls (2).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 219

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions