gti 1500 versus at pro

gwhamil

May 27, 2013
I purchased a gti 1500 about 10 years ago. Really liked the machine, but haven't used it much for the last 5 years or so. Looking to get out a little more often and wondered what switching to an at pro would do for me. I mostly use it for coin hunting in parks and sometimes old homes. Can anyone that has used both machines compare and contrast them for me? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
G

gwhamil

May 27, 2013
I might add that I really like the imaging on the gti 1500 and am shocked that Garrett has not come out with new imaging machines. Anyone have any word on that? Seems like they have not come out with a new top of the line machine in a long time.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've not been a fan of Garretts solely based on my experience with using some Ace 250 & 350. However, this past weekend I hunted with my brother who brought out his 20yo Garrett GTAX1000. I was pretty impressed that it kept pace with my VX3 & MXT Pro and another hunting partners Tesoro Vaquero.

I would put money down that your GTI1500 would not be shown up by any AT Pro. That is not to bash the AT Pro (I'm considering getting one myself), but I just don't see it being a "better" machine.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gti.2500 has imaging those new right around 900 but I've seen plenty in the 5-700 on eBay I know someone who uses the gti he absolutely loves it works great for him I don't know much about the 1 u have I've got a Atpro so if there's anything I can help with in that for coins I've had a lot of luck even more when I threw the smaller 5x8 coil seemed to just see right where they were & I relic hunt quite a bit so out around a celler hole again great machine put iron up to maybe 31 or so get to know the machine u won't even miss the imaging

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is right I don't think from what u have now its a hole lot different but has some advantages waterproof,iron discrimination awesome little lighter to I believe both great

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not been a fan of Garretts solely based on my experience with using some Ace 250 & 350. However, this past weekend I hunted with my brother who brought out his 20yo Garrett GTAX1000. I was pretty impressed that it kept pace with my VX3 & MXT Pro and another hunting partners Tesoro Vaquero.

I would put money down that your GTI1500 would not be shown up by any AT Pro. That is not to bash the AT Pro (I'm considering getting one myself), but I just don't see it being a "better" machine.
Careful watch out for the garrett police on here....and im not real impressed with them vaquero's last time i hunted with him he found 3 indians i think ...thats good finding indians but when the machine only picks them up at 6 inches and says there foil theres a problem in my book...id rather not hunt in foil mode digging everything

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have the 1500 but I do have the 2500 and the ATPro. I did a comparison last week at a playground. There is an 8 sided swing set (8 individual swings on a circular frame). I started out with the GTI 2500 and did a good search around all the swings, both inside and outside of the circle. I retrieved 14 coins (clad). I made another pass with the GTi 2500 and picked up 3 coins that I had missed. I didn't dig the signals that showed that is was larger than a coin, or anything less than a 7 which meant no nickles.
The AtPro was next, I set it on Promode and custom eliminating anything below an 80. Maybe something is wrong with my 2500, I don't know, but I went around the swing set with the AtPro I picked up 10 more coins. I then reset the ATPro to zero mode, disc to 36 with Iron Audio on.
I made another pass around the swing set and picked up 4 more coins (2 nickels).
This took up most of the morning and I left for the day.

I think that now that I am very familiar with the ATPro, and haven't used the 2500 much since I got the ATPro is the reason the ATPro did better.
The ATPro is my first choice when clads abound, but I think its all about which machine you are the most familiar with and the one you have the most confidence in.

Roy

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gwhamil

May 27, 2013
Thanks for all the input. I suspect that the comparison between the 2500 and the at pro would hold true with the 1500 as well because I have heard that the 2500 and 1500 are roughly equivalent when it comes to hunting coins. Thanks again to all for the help.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GTI2500 can go a little deeper than the AT Pro in some situations, plus the target size imaging is a plus. That being said, the At Pro separates targets better, provides target ID numbers, and expands detecting capabilities by being waterproof.

THey are both great detectors, but for the money, the At Pro is a great value.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
G

gwhamil

May 27, 2013
It would be great if they would come out with an imaging pro. It will be hard to give up imaging :).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread