GTI 2500 dirt fishing

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I went dirt fishing this afternoon. I'm usually a beach guy so hitting dry land was a bit different.

I picked a local spot that nobody goes to and couldn't swing the coil with it going nuts. Lot's of trash… I set the machine to Jewelry, with the bell tone active. I was ignoring lot's of targets, just due to the large amount of trash.

I dug 6 dimes and 7 pennys. I dug up pull tabs that were up in the correct area on the screen, one size larger than a quarter. I was only digging solid repeatable bell tones.

Surprised that I didn't hit one nickel or one quarter. They must be there…

Just an interesting little hunt. I'm going to take another crack at a different lot tomorrow.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pull tabs should come in much lower than a quarter, about 20 lower than a penny even.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The pull tabs show up just above the nickel and a bit larger in size.

So, I figure that if I'm ringing up pull tabs, I should be ringing up nickels.

IMG_1797.jpg

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got it, I thought you said pull tabs were one size larger than a quarter. Nickels are real close to pull tabs typically but pull tabs can have a huge range depending on their size, angle In the ground and if they are bent or not. Set the tabs you found next to a nickel and swing over them to see if you can tell the difference. The nickels usually hit at the same VDI each time.

"I dug 6 dimes and 7 pennys. I dug up pull tabs that were up in the correct area on the screen, one size larger than a quarter. I was only digging solid repeatable bell tones. "

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a GTI 1500, only occasionally dig a pull tab. A nickel will always ring up as a nickel, without bouncing into the pull tabs notch. It took me a while to fully appreciate how amazingly accurate the GTI's are. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

BJ in Okla.

Feb 26, 2004
Central OK.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ's
Not all pull tabs read the same,,I used a MXT with numbers one time and checked a bunch of pull tabs,,,
I found like 10 differend numbers, and if cut in half or bent,, you get another number....
Some were dead on for a nickel and some in the penny range....
The tail off a beaver tail pull tab reads like a nickel...
To this day,, I don't under stand why people have to tear them off and throw them on the ground...
I would think,, in beach hunting,,,you would dig foil and up for gold jewelry....
HH...BJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread