GTI 2500 having problems

ClayDigger

May 12, 2010
Germantown, TN
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, Garret ProPointer, DetectorPro UniProbe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went hunting with the Father in Law this weekend and his GTI 2500 was having the following problem: Whenever he would hear a good target tone, he would go back over the area and couldn't find the target. Tried adjusting the sensitivity, tried Salt Elimination, Full Metal Mode, you name it, but the same problem over and over.
Anyone familiar with this sort of strange behavior from a 2500? Ground was fairly mineralized, sometimes clay, sometimes sand, but just a variety of textured soils in Alabama.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a factory reset to default. Sounds like it might be set to reject so every target you run over is disc out. If this isn't it a trip to Garrett is called for.

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Claydigger,

By what you're saying could be several things happening. How long has he been hunting with the GTI 2500? Does he have the mineralization chip installed by Garrett's? It came out about 3 plus years ago to stabilize the detector in heavy mineralized soils. It was to be installed in older 2500's. Falsing could be a coil wire not tightened down by hand at the control box. Another thing is, does he use a coil cover to protect the coil? It would help after each hunt to take apart the coil cover from the coil and especially wipe everything down with a damp cloth. This will remove any dirt (mineralized soil) that has been sticking on the surface which sometimes will give you false readings. Other folks out there have tried taking the first 12 to 18 inches of the coil wire coming from the coil and mounting straight/parallel to the shaft with tape or velcro straps and then start to wrap up the shaft to the control box. This may/may not be full proof, but people say it works. :icon_thumright:

Set your sensitivity to about 5 to 5.5 which will smooth it out. You didn't say that you were detecting too with your father-in-law? Because if you were, there may be EMI between two different detectors close to each other. Does Alabama have red soil in your particular area that you and your father-in-law hunted? Red soil type indicates presence of moderate to high mineralization. Here in New Mexico we too have moderate to high mineralization but in spotty areas of the state. Those areas will have black sand. If all else fails, send the unit back for the installation of the mineralization chip (if he has it already installed) and look-see over and tune-up by Garrett.

These are some of the things that I can think of that helped me and others in the past. Hope this helps, maybe some 2500 users can chime in?

TC-NM :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ClayDigger

ClayDigger

May 12, 2010
Germantown, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TC-NM,
I will be trying all of these things when I go hunting with him again in the next few weeks. Yes, the soil is red and particularly sandy so it is mineralized. We did have interference when hunting, but he changed his frequency and I turned my machine off and the problem still happened. Garrett tech support is sending another coil out and if that doesn't fix the problem, then they are going to have a look at the unit as our next course of action. Some good general tips about running the line straight up the shaft as I do that on all my detectors as well.
Thanks,
ClayDigger

TC-NM said:
Claydigger,

By what you're saying could be several things happening. How long has he been hunting with the GTI 2500? Does he have the mineralization chip installed by Garrett's? It came out about 3 plus years ago to stabilize the detector in heavy mineralized soils. It was to be installed in older 2500's. Falsing could be a coil wire not tightened down by hand at the control box. Another thing is, does he use a coil cover to protect the coil? It would help after each hunt to take apart the coil cover from the coil and especially wipe everything down with a damp cloth. This will remove any dirt (mineralized soil) that has been sticking on the surface which sometimes will give you false readings. Other folks out there have tried taking the first 12 to 18 inches of the coil wire coming from the coil and mounting straight/parallel to the shaft with tape or velcro straps and then start to wrap up the shaft to the control box. This may/may not be full proof, but people say it works. :icon_thumright:

Set your sensitivity to about 5 to 5.5 which will smooth it out. You didn't say that you were detecting too with your father-in-law? Because if you were, there may be EMI between two different detectors close to each other. Does Alabama have red soil in your particular area that you and your father-in-law hunted? Red soil type indicates presence of moderate to high mineralization. Here in New Mexico we too have moderate to high mineralization but in spotty areas of the state. Those areas will have black sand. If all else fails, send the unit back for the installation of the mineralization chip (if he has it already installed) and look-see over and tune-up by Garrett.

These are some of the things that I can think of that helped me and others in the past. Hope this helps, maybe some 2500 users can chime in?

dcbaros

Jun 14, 2010
Kemah, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
TC-NM said:
Claydigger,

I am interested in buying a used 2500 gti thats three years old, would it have the mineralization chip?

coin hunter

Jan 13, 2008
Sidney, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett,1500 , 2500, AT PRO, Garrett Pin pointer,AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had that happen to me also and you will find most detectors if not all will do the same thing. Sometime targets are just on the threshold of detection. If my 2500 does that now I hit the All Metal Button and the target is there. This mode gets you just a little bit deeper to find that target. What I discover with 2500 if the target is on the edge of detection in one of the discrimination modes it gives you a little hint that's something is there. I don't believe this is by design, but though my experience this is what I have discover .

OP
OP
ClayDigger

ClayDigger

May 12, 2010
Germantown, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try that when I go back to visit the father in law in a few weeks.
Thanks MarkA1
mark1a said:
I've had that happen to me also and you will find most detectors if not all will do the same thing. Sometime targets are just on the threshold of detection. If my 2500 does that now I hit the All Metal Button and the target is there. This mode gets you just a little bit deeper to find that target. What I discover with 2500 if the target is on the edge of detection in one of the discrimination modes it gives you a little hint that's something is there. I don't believe this is by design, but though my experience this is what I have discover .

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Claydigger, keep us informed in what happens in your hunt w/your Father in law!

Dcbaros, I really don't know if a GTI 2500 3+ years old might have the mineralization chip installed is. 1) I would suggest that before you purchase from someone selling it to you is that you inquire about the history of his/her detector. 2) If you have the serial no. handy, then call Garrett's Techs. and they will give you the date it was manuf. and if the mineralization chip was installed or not.

Hope this helps.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent my GTI 2500 in when it was acting up once and found the coil wire was bareliy making contact at the coil. They replaced the coil and put the new chip in without my asking and there was no charge! Really good aftermarket service. Monty

OP
OP
ClayDigger

ClayDigger

May 12, 2010
Germantown, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty,
After the first call to Garrett, they sent out a new coil. We're taking it out for a hunt with the new coil in the next couple of weeks. After giving Garrett the serial number, they told me that it already has the mineralization chip, so we are hoping that it was the coil that was the problem.
We will see shortly.

Monty said:
I sent my GTI 2500 in when it was acting up once and found the coil wire was bareliy making contact at the coil. They replaced the coil and put the new chip in without my asking and there was no charge! Really good aftermarket service. Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope that solves your problem. Garrett has given me the best service I have had from any manufacturer. M :icon_thumleft: nty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread