gti 2500 or 1500

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the GTI 1500 and have used the 2500. Both are nice if a bit heavy compared to Tesoro's and not any deeper. The only advantage these have, if you wanna call it that, is a screen. Between the two, the 2500 has more features that you pay for, but that doesn't translate into more finds any more than a caddy gets you there quicker than a chevy. Well we'll not count the CTS.........

For what it's worth, I don't use the 1500 anymore as it is heavy to play with for long, even hipmounted.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
kwdstalker said:
seeing as i am disabled ? it will be used mostly for coins and jewelery

To what degree are you disabled? Are you in a wheelchair? Are you able to ambulate using any type of prosthetics? Do you have full range of motion with both arms?

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
I have a knee that has been screwed up by a doctor so I use a cane and leg brace but I ended up with a nerves disease that has taken over my whole body I am in pain all the time on good days it is like a bad sunburn on bad days my limbs swell up so bad they split open and bleed and feels like a blow torch held to my skin plus my joints are full of arthritis then have in planted 2 double spinal cord stimulators each covers 2 limbs with 16 wires attached to my spinal cord for each unit. But I want to thank you for your input I have the ace 250 right now and a gta 500 ultra which has the 4 inch coil on it. but I am getting my back mileage check for doctor trips and have been wanting something that will show a little better what I am going over we have several very old parks around here that are so full of trash even the 4 inch coils goes off to much when running them in all metal mode it is one long sound I try turning down the sensitivity but then they don't go deep enough to get the good stuff. so far this year I have found 1 gold ring 2 silver rings a silver bracelet 20 wheat's 4 buffalo's a token and a 1898 Indian head that is like new it was under a side walk that was around a school built in the 1800's that they pulled up and around 68 bucks in newer change but I know there is allot more if I can just cut the trash even in half.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain and I am sorry to hear of your health problems.

If you use the screen of the Garretts and a sniper coil you should be able to cherry pick thru the trash, but a loss of some depth has to come into play because of the size of the coil. The battery pak does come off to connect to your belt and this helps but the Tesoro's are still lighter weight but no screen.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
i posted the same question on find's treasure forum and got this reply is there any truth to it?

if you are doing any detecting at all go with a whites or a fisher they are both much much better units and lighter than the GTIs!!! Both of my brand new GTI 2500s failed after just a few hours, Garret picked up both units, now they are sending me a third GTI 2500, hopefully the third one will perform properly, when you use a GTI 2500 they are heavy and klunky feeling, old fashioned performance at a modern day price , Garrets quality control is very bad these days, I have never had any problems with any of my other detectors pioneer 505 and a minelab eureka gold, my 505 is a five year old bounty hunter with lots of use and abuse and no malfunctions, my GTIs were junk right out of the box, purchased the gti in june it failed within a few hours sent it in for repair so garret sent me a new unit and it failed within a few minutes and I sent that one back 7/23/2008, Garret is really cutting into my prospecting time by having me wait several week to get a new detector to use, but my next detector won't be a Garret, I won't be purchasing any more Garret equipment in my life time, Garret products are complete JUNK!!!!!!
Garret metal detectors make better shovels than detectors.

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
I already had the CX Plus and Depth Multiplier, so I bought the GTI 1500 and it has worked well for me. I see one person has received defective units and that would sour the person on the brand. That is one reason I'm leary of buying a unit made by another outfit in Texas!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think Garrett makes junk if something does go wrong at lease they stand up and repair it for you. Every detector Co. will have problems with there detectors now and then.Just like cars every now and then you get a bad one....and when that car breaks down allthe cars that car co. makes are junk.......... :icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor: :stop: :coffee2:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
kwdstalker said:
is there any truth to it?

Garrett has been in business for many years. If they made junk, they wouldn't be in business. Garrett has actually gone the extra mile and even worked closely with some physically disabled people to help them detect using a two wheeled walker. Garrett also has probably the BEST customer service in the industry, and their detectors are made in USA, not in China. Enough said! As a rule, I don't discuss other makes and models, because all it does is create bad feelings.

Metal detecting is a hobby, and hobbies are meant to be enjoyed........ :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
i thought he was blowing steam i grew up with Garrett my dad started in the early 60's using them matter of fact sill have a few of them and they still work but on a very very fixed income through works comp for the last 12 years i wanted to check.thank you all for your replays

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett service has been very good and I have heard no bad reports from anyone. To show they have a good customer service they did take them back and replace them for this person that you left off the name from the other forum.

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
hi username is littlebigman he has left 8 bad posts about Garrett being junk

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Being a Garrett forum-- don't expect many to Ditz Garrett!!
I have a GTI 2500-- it is HEAVY, but I like it alot. Have used
other detectors, but I am used to the imaging feature and feel
I'm missing an important piece of the puzzle. As with any feature-
use it knowing its limitations!
HH

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
i did it i bought a gti 2500 off ebay for 799 and 25 shipping it is brand new unopened the guy traded some coins and artifacts to a dealer for 4 of them 30 days ago.now the next question do you think i will need the snipper coil with it in real trashy sites like i do with the ace 250 ?

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Gti 2500 and then sold it. Missed it so much and just bought another one.

I love it because of the imaging feature. I like it to show me the size. I dig everything in the coin size range or objects that bounce from B to A or B to C and back. I have tried other detectors for land hunting and sorry, I had been spoiled by the Garrett. I got really upset when I tried another brands detector that everyone else says is the best. I dug more junk in one day than I had in all my time metal detecting.

Everybody is partial and loyal to their own specific machine.

But back to the 2500, to me it is worth the extra money for the size feature. The sounds and the screen help you a lot on whether or not you want to dig an object up.

One point to remember, the image is not always correct, but I would say the majority of the time it is correct. It may tell you it is a penny and it turns out to be a dime or vise versa. That could be due to soil conditions. A quarter is always correct, and the only half dollar I found was correct.

If the Garrett GTi 2500 tells you it is a coin at 6 inches, it is correct. Beside the weight, I have no complaint about it.

Being that your limited out there in the field, sorry, the imaging feature will help you a lot. You will dig a lot less junk. Don't try chasing the objects that are at over 12 inches down, size E. The only thing you will do is tare up a lot of ground and in the end just find a pipe or something like that. Also if it makes that overload sound, don't bother to dig, it will be a can.

Good luck with your new GTi 2500.

gemhunter

Mar 11, 2006
BC Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium LS Whites GMT Ace 250 Ace 100 Sunray Probe Garrett Probe
Just would like to reassure you as the others here have, you have a great machine!. I have had no problems with my 2500 & as John said that Garrett may help you with a special set up for those who have certain disabilities.

My problem is my 24/7 work ethics, need to get out more MDing. Some day........

Best regards & happy hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread