GTI 2500 owners

panelman

Mar 2, 2008
Northern WI.
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV / Garrett GTI 2500
My new 2500 is working great in the coin discrimination mode but......
When I go to an all metal mode it tends to get erratic, signal pinging all over the place, moving up and down the scale even when it is sitting still. This is a new machine and is it the user or should I be sending it back to have it looked at. I have not been able to call the manufactuer about it yet due to time constraints, so I thought I would ask the experts
Thanks

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
I have a GTI1500 and a CX Plus, so I can only guess as to what is happening. If the sensitivity in All Metal can be adjusted separately from Discrim (as can be done with the CX+), maybe you need to reduce the sens. in All Metal. Another possibility is that there is some sort of EMI that is treated as a signal to be discriminated out by the discrim circuits. Try using Zero and then Relic mode in Discrim to see if there is anything to this speculation on my part.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You mean the "Zero mode"? or the "true all metal"?

If your using the true all metal I would not be surprised as it does just what the name says detects ALL metal I've even found slag using that! Use "fast track"(name?) and reduce sens if still nothing there might be to much trash for good use of the true all metal.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
If you are in zero discrimination mode and it is unstable....turn down the sensitivity to the point where it becomes stable. Don't get sensitivity confused with depth. If your sensitivity is set too high, all the mineralization in the soil could prevent you from reading a signal. In true all metal mode, you may be hunting in an area with a lot of mineralization. Again...turn down the sensitivity down and see if it helps. Have you get the recent model with the new chip?

OP
OP
panelman

panelman

Mar 2, 2008
Northern WI.
Detector(s) used
Thanks everybody for the tips, I am thinking it is a mineral/ sensitivity thing , I try out some of the sugestions. I only have about 5 hrs into using this machine, so I am pretty green with it at this point, found a few nice items so far.
John from edmonton this is a new machine and I assume that it would not be sent without the upgrade,Yes??
I thought I read somewhere that I can go by a date on the machine, can you or someone else tell me the details of that.

Panelman

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
panelman said:
My new 2500 is working great in the coin discrimination mode but......
When I go to an all metal mode it tends to get erratic, signal pinging all over the place, moving up and down the scale even when it is sitting still. This is a new machine and is it the user or should I be sending it back to have it looked at. I have not been able to call the manufactuer about it yet due to time constraints, so I thought I would ask the experts
Thanks
For me i have a GTI 1500 and when that was my problem i had to send it back to Garrett they said they had to replace a part and then sent it back what part i forget.................but it was a problem i had to have Garrett fix for me......................................==Jim==

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
panelman said:
Thanks everybody for the tips, I am thinking it is a mineral/ sensitivity thing , I try out some of the sugestions. I only have about 5 hrs into using this machine, so I am pretty green with it at this point, found a few nice items so far.
John from edmonton this is a new machine and I assume that it would not be sent without the upgrade,Yes??
I thought I read somewhere that I can go by a date on the machine, can you or someone else tell me the details of that.

Panelman
If you call Garrett and tell them your... serial number ... they can tell you if it needs a upgrade or not............And what year it was made...It might be new but it could have set at a dealers for years before you bought it so it is new but it is old......not used.............==Jim==

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had one got rid of it it drove me nuts. nothing wronupg with it but metal is metal and trust me its picking it

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
txkickergirl said:
had one got rid of it it drove me nuts. nothing wronupg with it but metal is metal and trust me its picking it
Ya i got rid of my GTI 1500 to never did trust it after it was reparied..........==Jim==

OP
OP
panelman

panelman

Mar 2, 2008
Northern WI.
Detector(s) used
Gadabout - Jim said:
txkickergirl said:
Ya i got rid of my GTI 1500 to never did trust it after it was reparied..........==Jim==

Hey You Two,
your going to get me worried , talking down to my GTI , Ha Ha. So far I am very satified, found a 1944 merc and a 56 Quarter today + 3.52 in clad. The all metal mode is very sensitive but it works great once I turned down the sensitivity, Thanks John -Edmonton. Jim, I hav'nt checked on the chip up-grade and my machine but I will, thanks for the info.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no no...its a great machine just not the one for me. It was way to heavy for me and the soil conditions I hunt it just didn't work right it would false and drive me crazy. I worked the sensitivity and did everything I could think of. I did find it was a super machine for cache hunting, although the 2 box I was afraid to use cause I didn't want to dig 10ft in concrete soil to find a tire rim. It had super depth but that whole treasure talk thing I had to turn it off cause I found myself arguing with the lying witch!

I now own the older cx with the 2 box cause the Garrett had nice features I did like. I will use this one for cache hunting. I also own the ace 250 and a 1350 and 1500. The latter 2 I gave to my dad and he enjoys them.

So don't have doubts about the machine it does what its suppose to do but like all machines it has its good and bad and you have to spend time with it and learn its quarks.

OP
OP
panelman

panelman

Mar 2, 2008
Northern WI.
Detector(s) used
Txkikergirl
Thanks for the reassurance although I was mostly tounge and cheek. I absolutly agree that the weight is a bit much and by the time I hit my 50's I will have massive forearms and traps.
Have a great day

txkickergirl said:
no no...its a great machine just not the one for me. It was way to heavy for me and the soil conditions I hunt it just didn't work right it would false and drive me crazy. I worked the sensitivity and did everything I could think of. I did find it was a super machine for cache hunting, although the 2 box I was afraid to use cause I didn't want to dig 10ft in concrete soil to find a tire rim. It had super depth but that whole treasure talk thing I had to turn it off cause I found myself arguing with the lying witch!

I now own the older cx with the 2 box cause the Garrett had nice features I did like. I will use this one for cache hunting. I also own the ace 250 and a 1350 and 1500. The latter 2 I gave to my dad and he enjoys them.

So don't have doubts about the machine it does what its suppose to do but like all machines it has its good and bad and you have to spend time with it and learn its quarks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions