GTI 2500 user here--what am I missing by NOT using headphones?

morglan

Greenie
Apr 19, 2011
I've been detecting for 4 or 5 years now, most of that time with a GTI 2500. Thing is, I've never used headphones. I like to detect in secluded areas by myself, and tend to be a bit paranoid about listening to my surroundings, so I've never even been tempted to use headphones.

Am I missing signals? Pretty sure my hearing is fine, is there really a need for headphones?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If hearing is good prob not missing much. Headphones are great when you are at a louder area. I use headphones most of the time but can hear my detector fine without them.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no real need if you are off by yourself. Around parks where there are kids, the beeps attract them to see what all the noise is about. The beeps also attract dogs but they don't ask questions.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only use mine when close to road or other noise,or when wind is cold on my ears.I hunt in forest with toothy/clawy critters....need to hear them if I can.you prolly missin nothin

NIBBLER

Apr 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used head phones for 17 years.Havenot used them in 8 years.Won't go back to wearing them.Though I only use machines with a volume control.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted both ways. The headphones can be a pain but I'm not sure if the coin is really deep,you could hear it "whisper"

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the Garrett GTI 2500 for over 5 years now. I use the headphones but I keep them positioned a couple of inches away from my ear so I can hear my surroundings (wild hogs, people, trucks, etc.) just to be aware of my surroundings. I've hunted without them also to solely depend on viewing my screen. I don't think you are missing out by not using them.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were in heavy trash trying to pick out good targets it would have an effect, but for regular targets not too bad because there's not really any such thing as a faint signal on a GTI. It's more you get it or you don't.

gabbyhayes

Feb 9, 2014
Sask.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 AT PRO GTI 2500
V3i SURF PI PRO
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting for 4 or 5 years now, most of that time with a GTI 2500. Thing is, I've never used headphones. I like to detect in secluded areas by myself, and tend to be a bit paranoid about listening to my surroundings, so I've never even been tempted to use headphones.

Am I missing signals? Pretty sure my hearing is fine, is there really a need for headphones?

Definately user preference, and I hunt both ways, though in the "all Metal Mode"......I think headphones give you an edge. You can listen for very subtle changes in the threshold that I think you might miss because of background noise or otherwise.
I've found targets at 12" on the beach using this method that I'm not sure I would have, had I not used headphones.
Also you do attract less attention if people can't hear the beeping, and sometimes it makes it easier to ignore onlookers if you are wearing headphones.
I have two sets that I use depending on whether I want to block out all external noise, or if I want to be able to hear some external noise.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never hunt without headphones... and I too owned a GTI 2500 for years... which in my opinion is one of the best coin shooters made...

Most of the detectors deepest targets and especially smaller items of value will be faint and can be missed.
Certain beeps/sounds from detectors are able to be heard from quite a distance... Drawing as little attention to detecting has proven to be a "plus".

IF you are concerned with earing your surroundings while wearing your headphones... put them on an remove one muff from ear... or partially.
Some detector head phones have a volume on each ear...
Some if you plug the plug in halfway do the same thing... had a faulty plug once that did that.

P.S> I wish I remembered my GTI settings...
I had it tuned so good... I would nail a quarter at 15-18 inches religiously... and some at 20 +... On sand and in compacted dirt...
That was with 12 inch coil I think.

I DIG

Mar 17, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They keep your ears warm to.

gabbyhayes

Feb 9, 2014
Sask.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 AT PRO GTI 2500
V3i SURF PI PRO
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never hunt without headphones... and I too owned a GTI 2500 for years... which in my opinion is one of the best coin shooters made...

Most of the detectors deepest targets and especially smaller items of value will be faint and can be missed.
Certain beeps/sounds from detectors are able to be heard from quite a distance... Drawing as little attention to detecting has proven to be a "plus".

IF you are concerned with earing your surroundings while wearing your headphones... put them on an remove one muff from ear... or partially.
Some detector head phones have a volume on each ear...
Some if you plug the plug in halfway do the same thing... had a faulty plug once that did that.

P.S> I wish I remembered my GTI settings...
I had it tuned so good... I would nail a quarter at 15-18 inches religiously... and some at 20 +... On sand and in compacted dirt...
That was with 12 inch coil I think.
At those depths you were probably using the true "all metal mode". On the GTI 2500 this is different than zero discrimination and I have also found some extremely deep targets that I almost had given up on because of their depth.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i used headphones for about 3 hunts and never used them again . I hate them and do not need them . Except for water detectors then i have to use them for they are hard wired on ... and i have be in this detecting thing for over 40 years... To me you really do not miss any thing by not using head phones..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
OH yes why do you think that all these detector makers give you junk head phones with your detector's ...For they know you really do not need them that's why.. All head phones are useless money maker's for a lot of company's

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually wear my headphones around my neck with the volume turned up just enough for me to hear. This way I can hear the tones, hear what else is going on around me and not really bother anyone else. If it gets noisy like around wind, running water or when a plane goes over it's real easy to slip them on for a minute or two until I am past the noise. Always keep my pin pointers on vibrate/silent as well as not to attract too much attention while digging. Too many curious people can easily ruin a good treasure hunt. HH:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread