Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Gti 2500 and I was wondering how it compares to the AT Pro.

Are they basically the same machines with fewer bells and whistles on the AT Pro?

Will response time be about the same on either machine, or is one faster than the other?

Will the Gti find targets deeper than the AT Pro?

I find it easy it is easy to identify coins with the GTI (usually) and depth of finds are normally accurate, Plus its dead on for pinpointing the target. Would the AT Pro be about the same?

There is about a $300 difference between the two, is the GTI worth the extra $$$? And what do I get for the extra $$$?

I am contemplating acquiring another MD, and while I am quite familiar with my GTI 2500, I was wondering about the similarities between the two.

Roy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GTI 2500 is a power house and more stable than two of my earlier ATP's, but the 2500 is heavier than the ATP. No big deal if you use a harness for either detector as all ya gotta do is sweep your arm and let the harness take the weight. The GTI 2500 pinpoints spot on so you can poke the coin on the first probe with a screw driver and not have to dig a plug which saves time and grass. I believe the 2500 is deeper too but this is hard to check unless you use them side by side. Anybody that hunts in the rain is not playing with a full deck but the
AT Pro is nice if you hunt in the water too. Both usually id the target well but the 2500 I was more comfortable using but don't have it anymore. They are not really equal but both are fun to use.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The GTI 2500 is a power house and more stable than two of my earlier ATP's, but the 2500 is heavier than the ATP. No big deal if you use a harness for either detector as all ya gotta do is sweep your arm and let the harness take the weight. The GTI 2500 pinpoints spot on so you can poke the coin on the first probe with a screw driver and not have to dig a plug which saves time and grass. I believe the 2500 is deeper too but this is hard to check unless you use them side by side. Anybody that hunts in the rain is not playing with a full deck but the
AT Pro is nice if you hunt in the water too. Both usually id the target well but the 2500 I was more comfortable using but don't have it anymore. They are not really equal but both are fun to use.
.. I have to agree with Sandman on this he gave you a good answer...........

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The AT pro's strengths are mostly in the audio, the expanded iron range and the ability to ID certain targets using the discrimination settings with iron audio turned on. The GTI 2500 has it's strengths with the imaging feature, which when learned properly and used within it's limitations will allow the user to dig only coin sized objects which includes rings. the GTI also has a true all metal mode, which can be ground balanced, which the AT pro does not. The GTI series has only the water proof coil, whereas the AT Series can be submerged to 10 feet.

Below is a graph comparing the the GTI 2500 (true all metal mode) against the AT Pro.

all machines.jpg

OP
OP
Digger2

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for some very good answers. It sounds like the GTI is worth the extra bucks.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for some very good answers. It sounds like the GTI is worth the extra bucks.

Depends on what you're looking for and where you're looking for it.

Gold = AT Pro (it runs at a higher freq.)
Water hunting = AT Pro (rain or in the water)
Any target mixed in iron = AT Pro (coins, jewelry, etc.) as the unmasking capabilities are 2nd to none (except maybe the XP Deus at $1800/$1900)

these are 3 things a GTI either lacks in some form of finding OR simply can not do and 3 things I won't sacrifice :-)

I had 2 GTI 2500s over the yrs and they were good machines for their time (still are) but I wouldn't trade my AT Pro for one!

If you're "cache" hunting - the GTI 2500 is the way to go as you can hook the Treasure Hound 2 box coil system up to it and find deep stuff 3 or 4 or 5 ft deep or more.

Just my .02 - and you asked!

OP
OP
Digger2

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your Input, good comparison

Roy!

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you all think the AT Por for the value is the better machine?

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Digger2

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you all think the AT Por for the value is the better machine?

I now own the AT Pro, and I've only used it a short time, however this is what I find.

I find my GTI 2500 to be a faster machine, much faster, because of it's pinpointing (concentric coil) is fast. However, as stated above, I've found that the AT Pro is much better in a trashy area. I bought it because it is close to the 2500 (functionally), and it is water tight.
I think once I get better acquainted with the DD coils, pinpointing will be better.

Better than the GTI? Depends your needs; going in my boat Yea the AT is better. For driveways the GTI is better, for parkgrounds either one will do. Hunting between rows of sugarcane, the AT is my choice unless the area isn't trashy, then I prefer the GTI. I haven't made it too the beach yet, but when I do I'll bring them both.

Roy

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like my AT Pro for the ProMode.... the rolling tones and iron audio make it a BEAST in trashy areas or areas with iron. it is also lightning quick and the higher frequency makes tagging gold pretty sweet. It's only a few KHZ less than the Gold machines....

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I really like my AT Pro. A used AT pro costs almost the same as a new one. A used GTI-2500 should be much cheaper than a new one. The AT Pro is only 3.03 lbs including 4 AAs. Once the ground balance is set properly, the ID at depth is the best of dozens of detectors I've owned. I also have a GTAx 1250 which is better than most, almost as good as the AT Pro, but can't go in water & ID drops a bit at depth. Plus it uses 8AAs & weighs 3.25lbs but feels like more. It does not have a ground balance but it does have a backlit screen. HH, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread