Guidance, please

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While we were hunting for stone artifacts, we did some metal detecting at an old home site on another section of the property, about 1/2 mile away. The land maps show a house there until 1937.

I found this, which is about the size of a dime but seems too thin to be a coin. I was thinking maybe a pendant of some sort. It has some sort of rune-like numbers, possibly Arabic.
I have zero knowledge of coins or other metallic objects, and typically do a Google search if I find something interesting.
I know a lot of you do a great deal of metal detecting, so I thought I'd take a shot here for some direction.
Thanks!
IMG_3237.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
somebody call scott wolter!!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a what forum on the site you should ask there it isnt NA

OP
OP
G

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read thru all that awesome info ..... congrats on a great find that’s a really cool item to say you have found and nice detective work thanks for posting [emoji106]

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It looks like Arabic/Islamic script, so maybe it originated from North Africa to India. Not all of those areas write in Arabic, but at one time or another groups of people did.

WW1 veteran might have brought home a souvenir.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...WW1 veteran might have brought home a souvenir.

Possible, but that heavy a patina after 100 years max in the soil (if it was lost immediately after coming home)? Just looks like its been kicking around in the elements for a lot longer than that, but I realize that the effects of different moisture levels and soil types can vary widely.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Possible, but that heavy a patina after 100 years max in the soil (if it was lost immediately after coming home)? Just looks like its been kicking around in the elements for a lot longer than that, but I realize that the effects of different moisture levels and soil types can vary widely.

I was thinking it might have been old when it came over. The odds of someone finding and old coin, bringing back and then losing it aren't great, but stranger things have happened. (And it might be more likely than a Persian trader making it to Georgia in the 1500's.)

I saw the link that you posted, that does seem a lot more likely if silver coins like that have been documented elsewhere.

OP
OP
G

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the investigative work and comments. At this particular site we've also found a Spanish coin from the 1600's, as well as some items typically associated with trade with the Indians. I believe it was some sort of trading outpost or gathering area.
But who know?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread