✅ SOLVED Guitar at Goodwill should I buy it?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Kalamazoo looks original. IMG_20160619_165523.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Drop by any vintage guitar store and they can id it for you, will probably have a set of tuners at a great price and will consign it for you at top dollar. Depend on ebay? Never...
By the way, old original hardware is available cheap because many old guitars didn't make it and are parted out. Live offline and you youngsters may learn something...
Im an old timer lol. I used to sell all my antiques and collectables in shops, stores and flea markets. I found that I get much more money from eBay auctions. But I can try your suggestion on consignment. But if they wont pay what they are selling for on eBay, then forget it.

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
bigc good buy

oregon
Scroll down to the Kalamazoo section, ALOT of info!
Gibson-Made Brands

thank you, my uncle has 2banjo, 2
Mandolin, 1 Guitar
he needed info on

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
He says this is a 1938 that needs repair and just sold Jun 19, 2016 for $425 and he may have paid $100 for shipping. Im not sure I understand what repairs were needed. Kalamazoo Acoustic Guitar 1938 KG 11 Needs Repair Sounds Great Estate Sale | eBay

sounds and plays great with 2 strings?

Kalamazoo KG-11 Acoustic Guitar 1938 6 string

100% original, honest age, needs repair hairline crack on knee zone and around bridge (see photos). Local luthier says guitar is an incredible estate find that can easily be repaired. Leave original for collection piece or restore easily into $3,000 Kalamazoo KG-11. This is the same model of guitar that Robert Johnson played. There are two strings on the guitar, but sounds and plays great! Has low action with zero buzz and straight from bridge to tuning nut. No cracks at neck to body.. This guitar is so well made, we have never seen a guitar so balanced that it literally stands up on its own when Sat on the base. They do not make guitars like this anymore. This guitar comes from the estate of a Great-GrandFather who owned and played the guitar since he owned it new.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This one sold $805 plus $45 shipping on June 13 with 13 bids with chips and cracks, some remnants of case. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-Kalama...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

1940-41 Gibson Made Kalamazoo Oriole Guitar

SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE LARGE PHOTOS

Up for bids is an old Gibson made Kalamazoo KGN-12 Oriole guitar from around 1940 or 1941 (I think the only years they made this model). This is a small bodied, L-00 size guitar with ladder style bracing. This one is showing some age and wear and but I think it would be worth the time and effort to get it back into better shape. As you can see in the photos there are several cracks on the sides and one between the bridge and soundhole. The longer dark line on the side appears to be an old repaired or touched up crack. None of the cracks are gaping open too much and I think they could all be repaired and cleaned up. There are two screws that I doubt are original through the bridge, and the top below the bridge is bulging up slightly (see close up photo). There are some missing chips in the tortoiseshell color binding but fortunately the 'firestripe' style guard is in good shape. The finish shows other small nicks, dings and wear from 75 years of use. I'm including lots of clear photos taken from all angles so look them over closely to see the cosmetic condition. The neck is fairly straight and the action isn't too bad in the lower positions but as you go up the neck it definitely gets higher than ideal so the guitar will likely need a neck set to play at it's best. The frets show wear but aren't too bad. Tuners have been changed but it doesn't look like the holes had to be enlarged at least. The Kalamazoo and Oriole logos are still pretty crisp and clear. Aside from the higher action the guitar is playable and has the nice, woody tone these are known for. I have the remnants of what may be the original case as shown in the photos. It's in pieces and the top is not attached. I can include it with the auction, or I can ship it in a newer hardshell case if you prefer- the choice is yours. This should be considered a project guitar and I'm listing it as is, but I think in the right hands it could be brought back to life for many more years of use. Look it over and bid!

U. S. SHIPPING: Fedex shipping and insurance to the lower 48 states will be $45.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
$870 plus shipping for an EK, 19 frets. This looks more like mine but not exactly. I guess thats all Im gonna get is $800 but thats Ok. 1930s Gibson Kalamazoo Acoustic Guitar EK Sunburst in Case EXC Antique 1939 | eBay

Here is a beautiful antique Gibson Kalamazoo acoustic guitar. The serial number on the back of the head is EK-2851, which I believe dates it to 1939. I just picked this up from the estate of the original owner. The woman said this was found in her father's closet, where it was stored for many years. The case smells like mildew. There is no mold or water damage I can see on the case, the case is not great, and does have a broken handle. The guitar is great. It is clean and straight. This is just as found, I did not clean this in any way. I really don't know much about guitars, so if you have any questions, please be specific. The neck is tight and very straight. There is what looks like a thin tight crack just below where the strings attach, on the left side. I can feel it with my fingernail. I looked inside the guitar with a mechanics mirror and a flashlight, and I do not see anything that looks like a crack, so I don't think it goes all the way through. There are just a few superficial scuffs and scratches from normal use. The guitar really looks great. I normally ship using USPS Priority mail, I will ship the larger items UPS Ground. I will combine multiple wins. I ship once or twice a week, not everyday. Shipping is very expensive, especially for larger size items. I do not make any money on shipping, I usually lose a bit. Please remember that, when grading my DSR ratings. PLEASE READ>>> If there is a problem with your item, please let me know. I handle problems quickly and fairly, but you have to let me know. Sorry, no International shipping, I will ship to North America only. I shipped Worldwide for years, and the high cost of Priority shipping has cost me low DSR ratings. Bidders must have a confirmed Paypal address. I do accept other forms of payment. Thanks, good luck bidding!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
$999 sold with no factory number Kalamazoo Sport Model Acoustic Guitar Sunburst Parlor Guitar | eBay

Hi, this listing is for a 1930's vintage Kalamazoo Super Sport guitar in original case made by Gibson. This is a fresh estate purchase, the guitar looks to be in great condition for the age, all joints are tight, no repairs and major issues noticed with very little ware to neck and fret board. We are general antique and estate buyers with only basic knowledge regarding vintage instruments, please take a look at the pictures and ask questions. Thanks, Mike

View attachment 1327653

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
bigc good buy

oregon
Scroll down to the Kalamazoo section, ALOT of info!
Gibson-Made Brands

thank you, my uncle has 2banjo, 2
Mandolin, 1 Guitar
he needed info on

Thanks I wish I could go out and find another deal but people are getting more knowlegable and its getting harder. All someone needs to do nowadays is bring a smart phone into the store. Its hard to imagine this item slipped through.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If ya can't play it, what's the point ? If you can play it your ability transcends the value of the instrument.
What do you have in mind? Do you think I can sit at the beach playing the guitar and collect tips in my hat? :laughing7:

Its been a long time since I played in a band and my ability no longer transcends the value of this instrument lol. But its all good Bruce. Im gonna sell it to the highest bidder. 8-)

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
even tho I'm a drummer,I am envious of your find.she's a beautie !!!! I hope it brings a great price for ya big cy..:occasion14:

Upvote 0

15khz

Jun 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter, Scorpion
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang. Forget the metal detector, I'm heading over to Goodwill !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks everybody. I emailed Joe Spann from the Martin Guitar Forum and it appears he is the author of the book Spann's Guide To Gibson 1902-1941 https://www.amazon.com/Spanns-Guide-Gibson-1902-1941-Softcover/dp/1574242679 and he tells me the "EK-1335 was a Kalamazoo model KG-11 which shipped on August 10, 1939 to Bellson Music in Moline, Illinois."
gibson book joe spann.jpg

Bellson Music appears to be a Gibson dealer in Moline, Illinois, one of several dealerships owned by Louis Bellson. https://books.google.com/books?id=f...&q=Bellson Music in Moline, Illinois.&f=false I am hoping for a famous or known musician but the book does not tell the name of the original owner..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Could this be the same Louis Bellson? ...the late Louis Bellson, who in the words of Duke Ellington was “not only …the world’s greatest drummer, he is the world’s greatest musician”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Bellson

Louis_Bellson.jpg

Louie Bellson was born in Rock Falls, Illinois, in 1924, and started playing drums at three years of age. At age 15, he pioneered the double-bass drum set-up. At age 17, he triumphed over 40,000 drummers to win the Slingerland National Gene Krupa contest. Louie graduated from Moline High School, Moline, IL, in 1942.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The music store may have been owned by his father. https://bqc.wikispaces.com/Louis+Bellson

Born to parents with a love and talent for music themselves, Bellson developed his own love of music at a young age. When the family moved to Moline, IL and his father opened a music store in the downtown area Louie began training there,

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great followup on the research BigCy!!:headbang:

Make sure to use this documentation when selling the guitar!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find an address doing your research for the music store the guitar was shipped too?

Edit:After re-reading your post above it has to be Louie's father's store the guitar was shipped too, I doubt there was another Bellson Music Store in Moline!

Here's the building and address that Louie Bellson's father's music store was located at!

City of Moline, IL - Official Website - Contributing Properties

"1711 5th Avenue, Belson’s Music Shop (1925): This plain one-part brick commercial building has had some modifications on the façade. It is recognized for world renowned Moline jazz drummer, Louis Belson, whose parents operated the music store. Occupants: Service Motor Sales, Belson’s Music Shop.This building is currently for sale."

1711%205th%20Ave.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Did you find an address doing your research for the music store the guitar was shipped too?

Edit:After re-reading your post above it has to be Louie's father's store the guitar was shipped too, I doubt there was another Bellson Music Store in Moline!

Here's the building and address that Louie Bellson's father's music store was located at!

City of Moline, IL - Official Website - Contributing Properties

"1711 5th Avenue, Belson’s Music Shop (1925): This plain one-part brick commercial building has had some modifications on the façade. It is recognized for world renowned Moline jazz drummer, Louis Belson, whose parents operated the music store. Occupants: Service Motor Sales, Belson’s Music Shop.This building is currently for sale."
Yea its got to be Louie's father's store. It says he learned to play in this store. Im still researching. I wish I knew if he actually played this guitar or who he sold it too or how it ended up in South Florida. I dont know if any records were kept.

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried checking with Goodwill to see if they know who donated it to them?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread