Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Guns and Freedom

January 12th, 2013

See Also: (Yahoo) – White House: Obama not backing down from assault weapons ban – Read More Here

(LewRockwell) – The right of the people to keep and bear arms is an extension of the natural right to self-defense and a hallmark of personal sovereignty. It is specifically insulated from governmental interference by the Constitution and has historically been the linchpin of resistance to tyranny. And yet, the progressives in both political parties stand ready to use the coercive power of the government to interfere with the exercise of that right by law-abiding persons because of the gross abuse of that right by some crazies in our midst.

When Thomas Jefferson wrote in the Declaration of Independence that we are endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights, he was marrying the nation at its birth to the ancient principles of the natural law that have animated the Judeo-Christian tradition in the West. Those principles have operated as a break on all governments that recognize them by enunciating the concept of natural rights.

As we have been created in the image and likeness of God the Father, we are perfectly free just as He is. Thus, the natural law teaches that our freedoms are pre-political and come from our humanity and not from the government, and as our humanity is ultimately divine in origin, the government, even by majority vote, cannot morally take natural rights away from us. A natural right is an area of individual human behavior – like thought, speech, worship, travel, self-defense, privacy, ownership and use of property, consensual personal intimacy – immune from government interference and for the exercise of which we don’t need the government’s permission.

The essence of humanity is freedom. Government – whether voted in peacefully or thrust upon us by force – is essentially the negation of freedom. Throughout the history of the world, people have achieved freedom when those in power have begrudgingly given it up. From the assassination of Julius Caesar to King John’s forced signing of the Magna Carta, from the English Civil War to the triumph of the allies at the end of World War II, from the fall of Communism to the Arab Spring, governments have permitted so-called nobles and everyday folk to exercise more personal freedom as a result of their demands for it and their fighting for it. This constitutes power permitting liberty.

The American experience was the opposite. Here, each human being is sovereign, as the colonists were after the Revolution. Here, the delegation to the government of some sovereignty – the personal dominion over self – by each American permitted the government to have limited power in order to safeguard the liberties we retained. Stated differently, Americans gave up some limited personal freedom to the new government so it could have the authority and resources to protect the freedoms we retained. Individuals are sovereign in America, not the government. This constitutes liberty permitting power.

But we did not give up any natural rights; rather, we retained them. It is the choice of every individual whether to give them up. Neither our neighbors nor the government can make those choices for us, because we are all without the moral or legal authority to interfere with anyone else’s natural rights. Since the government derives all of its powers from the consent of the governed, and since we each lack the power to interfere with the natural rights of another, how could the government lawfully have that power? It doesn’t. Were this not so, our rights would not be natural; they would be subject to the government’s whims.

To assure that no government would infringe the natural rights of anyone here, the Founders incorporated Jefferson’s thesis underlying the Declaration into the Constitution and, with respect to self-defense, into the Second Amendment. As recently as two years ago, the Supreme Court recognized this when it held that the right to keep and bear arms in one’s home is a pre-political individual right that only sovereign Americans can surrender and that the government cannot take from us, absent our individual waiver.

There have been practical historical reasons for the near universal historical acceptance of the individual possession of this right. The dictators and monsters of the 20th century – from Stalin to Hitler, from Castro to Pol Pot, from Mao to Assad – have disarmed their people, and only because some of those people resisted the disarming were all eventually enabled to fight the dictators for freedom. Sometimes they lost. Sometimes they won.

The principal reason the colonists won the American Revolution is that they possessed weapons equivalent in power and precision to those of the British government. If the colonists had been limited to crossbows that they had registered with the king’s government in London, while the British troops used gunpowder when they fought us here, George Washington and Jefferson would have been captured and hanged.

We also defeated the king’s soldiers because they didn’t know who among us was armed, because there was no requirement of a permission slip from the government in order to exercise the right to self-defense. (Imagine the howls of protest if permission were required as a precondition to exercising the freedom of speech.) Today, the limitations on the power and precision of the guns we can lawfully own not only violate our natural right to self-defense and our personal sovereignties; they assure that a tyrant can more easily disarm and overcome us.

The historical reality of the Second Amendment’s protection of the right to keep and bear arms is not that it protects the right to shoot deer. It protects the right to shoot tyrants, and it protects the right to shoot at them effectively, thus, with the same instruments they would use upon us. If the Jews in the Warsaw ghetto had had the firepower and ammunition that the Nazis did, some of Poland might have stayed free and more persons would have survived the Holocaust.

Most people in government reject natural rights and personal sovereignty. Most people in government believe that the exercise of everyone’s rights is subject to the will of those in the government. Most people in government believe that they can write any law and regulate any behavior, not subject to the natural law, not subject to the sovereignty of individuals, not cognizant of history’s tyrants, but subject only to what they can get away with.

Did you empower the government to impair the freedom of us all because of the mania and terror of a few?

January 10, 2013

Source: Lew Rockwell

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sad so many Americans do not even know what an American is any more...I just watched Gen Colin Powell (ret) make this statement this morning and I paraphase "The NRA and gun owners don't want anything done to the gun debate, but the American Citizens want something done" WHAT???? Gen Powell(ret) just said that NRA members and gun owners are NOT American Citizens!!!!!!!!!!!!!Look it up it was on Meet The Press....Shocking!!!! We're not Americans,,,,,those city slickers don't have a clue!!!!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
So sad so many Americans do not even know what an American is any more...I just watched Gen Colin Powell (ret) make this statement this morning and I paraphase "The NRA and gun owners don't want anything done to the gun debate, but the American Citizens want something done" WHAT???? Gen Powell(ret) just said that NRA members and gun owners are NOT American Citizens!!!!!!!!!!!!!Look it up it was on Meet The Press....Shocking!!!! We're not Americans,,,,,those city slickers don't have a clue!!!!

Let them city slickers come to the country setting and see how far they get!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It flabbergasts me when I think of how our society has changed. Guys like me (who are over 50) remember a different America. The younger generation, who do not have a clue to what it was like back then have been "brainwashed" to accept what they see and what they are told by the media and those in a certain political party who in their younger years vowed to "change the world". These same people who I personally consider "wolves in sheep clothing" have insidiously branded themselves as "progressives", and hold disdain for a "traditional" America.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
90% of the rhetoric is being perpetuated by a very small portion living in denial and fighting the natural process of evolution and change. Many of them are still upset over last November's "runaway" when the masses supported this process of change. Time to get over it, time to move on. The people have spoken loud and clear. "That's the American way." :thumbsup:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It flabbergasts me when I think of how our society has changed. Guys like me (who are over 50) remember a different America. The younger generation, who do not have a clue to what it was like back then have been "brainwashed" to accept what they see and what they are told by the media and those in a certain political party who in their younger years vowed to "change the world". These same people who I personally consider "wolves in sheep clothing" have insidiously branded themselves as "progressives", and hold disdain for a "traditional" America.

This is NOT the America I was born into!!!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
90% of the rhetoric is being perpetuated by a very small portion living in denial and fighting the natural process of evolution and change. Many of them are still upset over last November's "runaway" when the masses supported this process of change. Time to get over it, time to move on. The people have spoken loud and clear. "That's the American way." :thumbsup:

We got a change alright,and,not for the BETTER!!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Oh how wrong you are.....I think you need to get out of your comfort zone a little and then you will see what is really going on:thumbsup:

And as far as "natural process of evolution and change" goes I guess you mean a more tyrannical govt. , more and more poverty/ and govt. hand outs, along with more and more racial division..........think about it a little.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

I'll bet you would have been one of Darwin's best STUDENTS!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scoop, what "runaway" are you referring to? there was a 5 million vote difference, and that was with voter fraud, buying of votes with freebies, and not counting most of the military vote overseas. So what "runaway" was there? Electorial college means nothing as far as voter totals count....

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GOD, GUNS AND GUTS MADE THIS COUNTRY....I'LL TAKE ALL THREE (3) YOU KEEP THE CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:....."The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"
:laughing7:...."Sign the petition! Sign the petition!
:laughing7:...."They're going to take our guns! They're going to take our guns!"

A- We all know they're not going to take our guns. Ain't gonna happen. Now then, make gun owners more responsible for the guns they do own? Probably, and they need to do it. But all this other stuff is just non-sense, just a bunch of bitter grown men behaving badly in the face of changes they don't personally like. As Barbra Bush said, "Get over it. Move on." :thumbsup: The people have spoken. In four years the people will have another opportunity to choose their leaders.

And TH, the old "buying of votes" and "didn't count these" has been a crying claim of every aggressively pursued lost election. Get over it, it's done, move on.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bigscoop,

There you go being rational and lucid again.....dang you've got one hard head......probably why I'm in your corner.....I've always liked being on the side of the underdog or outnumbered dudes.....it kind of get's my celtic dander up.....

I've have to go through my music playlist and come up with something appropriate.....just hang in there folks while we go for a commercial break....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

OK this one should fit the bill....

:laughing7:...."They're going to take our guns! They're going to take our guns!"

A- We all know they're not going to take our guns. Ain't gonna happen. Now then, make gun owners more responsible for the guns they do own? Probably, and they need to do it. But all this other stuff is just non-sense, just a bunch of bitter grown men behaving badly in the face of changes they don't personally like. As Barbra Bush said, "Get over it. Move on." :thumbsup: The people have spoken. In four years the people will have another opportunity to choose their leaders.

And TH, the old "buying of votes" and "didn't count these" has been a crying claim of every aggressively pursued lost election. Get over it, it's done, move on.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
With any luck it won't be four years until we speak again. I really don't think grown men speaking out about intrusions on our rights is "grown men behaving badly"...more likegrown men don't want to be treated like misbehaving children.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like it was a lot better when the hippies were running amuck or god forbid the carter years which I personally believe was the low point of America in its history.

Every generation thinks everyone younger is terrible and doesn't get it - even though they were once that younger generation. Oh no rock and roll is going to kill the morals of the country. Oh my goodness, white and black children playing together - the horror.

I'm starting the "grumpy old men" thread as a home for many of you!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stockpicker,

Now we've got another lucid poster on the thread....my faith in humanity is somewhat being restored......

Nice to see everyone posting on these threads are not ludites.....that should have a few running to do a google search...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scoop, because it happen in the past does not make it right now..... It's not something made up, its a fact. Precincts with 110+% of registered voters voting, dozens of precincts in same districts in key states with not a single vote for the other candidate, military votes not being counted.... All the freebies given out, what do you think the purpose of the freebies were, it was to buy votes because the people were dumb enough to sell their votes cheap, what was the purpose of over riding our immigration laws and not deporting the illegal aliens, it was to buy votes. You think we need to get over the fraud, just get over it and move on, not going to happen......Not even to mention the fact one could not even legally hold office.....

How I vote for everything the rest of my life has been changed by this, the charities I supported and will never support again, the people I support, the causes I now contribute to and the ones that will never get another single dime from me the rest of my life. I have family members I no longer talk to.......

American patriots standing up for their rights guaranteed in the Bill of Rights is NOT being bitter old men!

Just like in Germany in 1933, you had a population who could not see the forest for the trees who were blind and naive and saw nothing wrong with Hitler and the Socialist party, saw nothing wrong with surrendering their weapons and freedoms to the state. Saw nothing wrong with the socialist ideas of their "great leader", when their eyes were finally open it was too late.....................Deja Vu

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions