Guns of Anderson texas

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx
Back in 1982 May or June I wrote An article for E&W mag called The guns of Anderson. It was about a cash of guns and a small brass connon buried in Grimes county TX right after the civil war. I looked for this for 5 years off and on till I moved on to bigger and better things. I would like to know if any of you have hunted are maybe found the guns.All feedback welcome

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Thats too intresting I would like to know more I dont live far from there what other info do you have I would like to read your article

AirborneFO

Greenie
Mar 10, 2006
Texas
texan connection said:
Thats too intresting I would like to know more I dont live far from there what other info do you have I would like to read your article

I would also like to read it, ;D

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Texas treasure stories and would like to know if I could get a copy of the article or other info.

OP
OP
bja3908

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx
OK lets see how much I can remember. First must of my books and reseach was lost in 1997 due to a flood, what little I had left on Anderson I sent to a guy in New Mexico who has not returned it. I have a lead on a copy on e-bay if I get it will post word for word. But for now here goes. There was a factory in Anderson Texas during the Civil war that made small arms. After it closed a man named Chris Mann stored the guns and a small brass connon in his sisters house. Mr Mann went off to bigger and better things he never returned. The arms were stacked 2ft high 4 ft wide running the length of the attic. The sister had small kids and did not want the guns around. She hired a freed slave to load them on a wagon and bury them. That is end of the facts. This lead was found in the book The Saga of Anderson. I lost my copy years ago but know that most Texas library's have a copy.Now for my part. From talking to oldtimers we learned that doctor from H0uston spent alot of time looking for the guns in the early 1970 s . Rumor had it that he found 1 old gun but not the main cash. I do not believe he found it because he came back many times after he found the one gun. I spend a lot of weekends in 1975-1979 in Anderson and found alot of junk that paid for each trip but not the guns. I know I missed some points so if you have ????? PM me and I will try to help.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.............Some of us have large collections of back issues of various Treasure Magazines...........maybe someone can find the article in the actual Western and Eastern Treasures Magazine.................Joe

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
bja 3908....I live in Grimes county and would sure like to know about this. Am new to MD'g, but am real curious about this.
Can you post something for all of us buzzards.

Thanx,
BW

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
bravowhiskey said:
bja 3908....I live in Grimes county and would sure like to know about this. Am new to MD'g, but am real curious about this.
Can you post something for all of us buzzards.

Thanx,
BW

Our family has a small house near Singleton. This sounds very interesting. Does anyone have any other info on this???

OP
OP
bja3908

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx
I just found a old file that said the story was in the June 1982 World of Treasure.

The complete name of the book was "Irene Taylor Allen, Saga of Anderson-The Proud Story of a Historic Texas Community"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread