Old School Evan

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2011
Historic Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out to a large site with several cellars yesterday with my buddy JW15 and to our dismay we found that all the cellars were previously well hunted... Despite this, the day was not lost, JW15 ended up pulling several nice buckles and a Conneticut Copper. I also found a 1788 Conneticut copper, and some sweet buttons. Nearing the end of the day I was just detecting minding my own business on the very outskirts of a cellar site near the base of a hill when I get a fairly decent signal, not a dead ringer I am a large copper dig me signal, but a fairly decent signal worthy of definitely digging. Anyways it was right up against the base of a tree, and had a mass of roots in my way. It took a good 5-10 mins to even get to this object. I finally pulled out my prize and was pretty psyched to see I had pulled a nice large frock button!!! I then yelled out to JW15 that I had pulled a frock, and then proceeded to wipe it a little to see if I had any patterning. Low and behold I see two undescipherable letters in the center of the button. I got very excited and ran to JW15. I defintely wanted him to witness this moment if this was really going to be one of the most coveted relics I have been looking for. I finally wiped the button again and what appears but a "GW" in large bold lettering in the center of the button!!! I definitely was psyched and hooted and hollered in amazement. I am just still in shock that I actually pulled something personally touched and handed out by General George Washington!!! Anyone have any ideas on how to clean this properly??? So far I have only soaked it in hot water because I am too petrified to clean it with anything else at the moment...

Happy Hunting,

-Evan

Attachments

• gw2.jpg
    gw2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 3,595
Upvote 0

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find and as a few others have said leave it alone as it's gorgeous the way it is. :thumbsup:

HuntersWife

Sep 28, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
My husband just got that same button last week! I guess they are more common than I first thought. :o

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Banner and a Nice GW Button and welcome to TreasureNet. This has been quite a year for George Washington Buttons :occasion14:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HuntersWife said:
My husband just got that same button last week! I guess they are more common than I first thought. :o

They do seem to pop up on T-Net every few months but they are still pretty rare and everyone on this site would love to find one...or a set of four like a few people have done.

Great find and congrats on the banner.

NJ

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats ;D great find,personally i'm leery of cleaning anything i find for fear of ruining it.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
That beautiful button is a piece that most of us can only dream about, congratulations. HH

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the GW button, great find! HH, Mike

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great button and a day you will never forget. :thumbsup:

If that is green patina, leave it as is! It's as good as it's going to get.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Congrats on a great great find! And a well deserved Banner!! :thumbsup: Wish we could find these in the midwest! jgas

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the holy grail of buttons! They came in sets of 4 and were all strung through with a single ribbon inside the coat so they are often lost as a set go back and find the other 3! :headbang:

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't clean it---cleaning could ruin the value---that old patina is good not bad--CONGRATS!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :hello2: :headbang: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :icon_thumright:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge congrats on a find of a lifetime!

fossis