GW buttons?

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I'm a newby but what's the deal with GW buttons? I've been satisfying my MD cravings by watching video clips on youtube. I've seen half a dozen people claim to have found GW Buttons! One of them found two! Could it be? Is there that many out there? I'm thinking what's on youtube can't be 10% of the actual finds.It's like there is a factory out there producing GW buttons 24/7 to keep up with demand! What's the real story?

Wade

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
real story is they exist,also real story is alot of thos guys are wrong.also counterfeit market alive and well

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I'm a newby but what's the deal with GW buttons? I've been satisfying my MD cravings by watching video clips on youtube. I've seen half a dozen people claim to have found GW Buttons! One of them found two! Could it be? Is there that many out there? I'm thinking what's on youtube can't be 10% of the actual finds.It's like there is a factory out there producing GW buttons 24/7 to keep up with demand! What's the real story?

Wade

Oh yeah it's for real, many are found. To bring it back to meaning something for you, do a little research on what are the common ones, and what are the rare ones, and you'll see the rarest very seldom if ever show up.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be millions of them...don't know why they continue to make the banner on this site.

They make the Banner because they are damn hard to find and they represent an incredible time in this country when a new nation was born and an incredible leader named George Washington reluctantly was thrust into the role as leader of this country. Guys these are not common by any means and certain varieties are worth a fortune. In my opinion anything from that time period that's GW related is an extremely important piece of history. There's a fantastic GW Inaugural button site if you want to check them out. Most will never be fortunate enough to dig one

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There were millions of gold coins produced too and they always make the banner if they meet the criteria.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
They make the Banner because they are damn hard to find and they represent an incredible time in this country when a new nation was born and an incredible leader named George Washington reluctantly was thrust into the role as leader of this country. Guys these are not common by any means and certain varieties are worth a fortune. In my opinion anything from that time period that's GW related is an extremely important piece of history. There's a fantastic GW Inaugural button site if you want to check them out. Most will never be fortunate enough to dig one

It's obvious that that your enthusiastic patriotism is the driving factor for thinking so, and I don't have a problem with that; I think that the point that was trying to be made was that many vote without knowing why they do so, knowing the significance or rarity, both should be considered in voting and just not for the sake of what it is or represents but whether it is a true rarity because there is a lot of the more common ones out there and probably more to come driving the rarity scale more towards common....now I know they will never be "common" but every time another shows up it reflects the population of them rising and that presents a bigger picture towards what was initially made

I like the link, it's a keeper for me and will give me some info I never had before

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
There were millions of gold coins produced too and they always make the banner if they meet the criteria.

I know right?!?!
Does make you wonder sometimes, although they are intrinsically more value able than some other finds they are the type of thing that is not rare at all
Funny how all the gold rings and other pieces of jewellery seldom get the equal respect when they are more artful in design don't measure up the same standard

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's obvious that that your enthusiastic patriotism is the driving factor for thinking so, and I don't have a problem with that; I think that the point that was trying to be made was that many vote without knowing why they do so, knowing the significance or rarity, both should be considered in voting and just not for the sake of what it is or represents but whether it is a true rarity because there is a lot of the more common ones out there and probably more to come driving the rarity scale more towards common....now I know they will never be "common" but every time another shows up it reflects the population of them rising and that presents a bigger picture towards what was initially made

I like the link, it's a keeper for me and will give me some info I never had before

I agree with what you're saying and sometimes my love of this time period can make me go a bit overboard lol. Part of the reason I posted the link was so people could see all of the different varieties out there. I see so often people say GW Inaugural as a blanket statement like they're all the same thing. When in reality they are all very different, and as you said have varying degrees of rarity associated with them. Some are truly extremely rare and others as you said are more "common".
I hope I'm lucky enough to find one some day. Just a cool piece of history

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I agree with what you're saying and sometimes my love of this time period can make me go a bit overboard lol. Part of the reason I posted the link was so people could see all of the different varieties out there. I see so often people say GW Inaugural as a blanket statement like they're all the same thing. When in reality they are all very different, and as you said have varying degrees of rarity associated with them. Some are truly extremely rare and others as you said are more "common".
I hope I'm lucky enough to find one some day. Just a cool piece of history

Only thing I have add, I think they are a "very cool" piece of history

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not seen a common GW. Any period button with a chicken on it will also be accepted.
Peace ✌

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I've been "guilty " of automatically voting Banner if I saw a decent looking G.W. button -with no knowledge of the
numerous varieties of them . I'm not quite ready to back off this either since all seem to be a rare find - the historical
significance is obvious. If garden variety gold coins with a mintage of some hundreds of thousands to a million(conservative)
always make Banner , then clearly a more common variety of G.W. Button (a few thousand exist ?) should be Banner by
this standard - especially with the historical relationship to George Washington . Do we need to change the standard ?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I've been "guilty " of automatically voting Banner if I saw a decent looking G.W. button -with no knowledge of the
numerous varieties of them . I'm not quite ready to back off this either since all seem to be a rare find - the historical
significance is obvious. If garden variety gold coins with a mintage of some hundreds of thousands to a million(conservative)
always make Banner , then clearly a more common variety of G.W. Button (a few thousand exist ?) should be Banner by
this standard - especially with the historical relationship to George Washington . Do we need to change the standard ?

My belief is that if somebody is fairly informed about an item and they have a good reason for voting that's their prerogative. I personally believe that any GW in decent shape is Banner worthy because it is historically significant to this country and they are by no means common. But I'm a bit biased to this period in history. Anything from the Rev War and late 1700s is just incredibly cool to me. Especially items that represent patriotism and our very first leader.

OP
OP

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am amazed at how many styles of GW buttons are out there! Truly educational! I had not considered that there were so many types,let alone buttons under the earth. Thanks for posting that like. It is bookmarked!

Wade

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there that many out there? Good question and not one that can be answered till they're all found. I don't see your post as a question anything about Banner. The fact is that GW's, at least in this country, are historically significant, very collectable and at the top of most relic hunters lists. There is something very humbling about finding personal items so closely connected to an important part of our history. Even more important when you start learning more about such items.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are still quite a few GWs that are R5 and higher meaning less than 10 known. So it's certainly a case by case decision but the idea that any are "common" is just not the case. I personally have both a rattlesnake and a GW on my Lifetime Wish List. What an incredible display piece to have. A few of the rattlesnake type buttons are super rare.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If anybody wants to see just how rare and valuable certain varieties of these can be this is another great link
J. Harold Cobb's George Washington Inaugural Button Collection

There that patriotic 'shroom again. There's a good line there somewhere....:)

Buttons1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread