GW Eagle Inaugural Button

Delmarva

Nov 23, 2019
Delaware
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost had a stroke today! Never thought I would find a George Washington button. What a day! PXL_20201205_165453775.jpg PXL_20201205_180956920.jpg

Upvote 51

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super find! Makes you wonder who was wearing the coat when the button popped off 200+ years ago. Most likely a person of significant position in society. Do you plan on doing any more cleaning to the button? I found 3 of these at a site a couple years ago and each one had a different environmental damage challenge. Looks like the green patina came off when you cleaned the dirt away leaving the corroded brass finish. It's flat, intact (not sure about the shank) and pretty good detail which are big pluses. If you ever wanted to sell it, in its current condition I bet it would go for $750 on Ebay. If you were able to smooth out the finish and pull out (create contrast) with some more detail and if it has and intact shank, it could go for $1,500. If you try cleaning it and end up removing the detail that is currently visible it would most likely go for around $500. Congrats!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW now that is a beauty!! Congrats on such a great save:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
D

Delmarva

Nov 23, 2019
Delaware
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. The fertilizers in field have been an issue with all the finds here. I'm a bit nervous to use Ren wax. Coppers from this field are toasted. But yeah I'm amazed with this find. For those wanting background info on the hunt...We had a bit of a storm on Friday night into Sat. The wind was howling but the rain stopped around 9:45am. I set out to a field that is slated to be developed this year. I've been hunting this area for a year on and off. I've found blowhole buttons, tombacs and all the usual colonial copper coins that were mostly trashed. I did scoop a 1909 Barber Q from New Orleans earlier this year from this farm (400 acres) SCORE! I had a weird feeling I'd find an early American silver (for some reason this place has that vibe and crazy history...that hasn"t played out yet) on this morning. I had about 2 hours to hunt before I had to be home to meet the better half for lunch after she worked a morning shift. After finding bull rings and a few buttons and the usual modern trash I was done. Then a solid 76 stopped me. It was tight. And deep. I saw the green circle in the plug but couldn't see what caused it. My pointer showed it was in the bottom of the hole but out of sight. When I first saw it I figured it was a smooth dandy. When I gave it a rub...I almost had a stroke. I headed straight to my truck and called my Dad to tell him what I found. I said a bunch of words that aren't appropriate for this forum. He was stoked as was I. This button will be donated to a local museum. I do not believe in profiting off of historic relics. I only sell modern jewelry and modern coins. The 1909 O quarter will be for sale soon. When I got home I had a chicken sandwich with better half. She thinks i'm nuts for still playing in the dirt at 40. :icon_scratch: Finding this has inspired me to visit Mount Vernon for the first time. This was a special find that would have surely been lost once the dozers move in later this month. History saved. Thanks for all the likes and kind words. BANNER!

Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding find !!!!!!! Definitely on my radar, big congrats!!

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah I really want one of those .... banner vote here, big congrats

vp

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got through watching an episode of "Antiques Roadshow".
Season 25 Episode 3 "Vintage Baltimore Air 2021 Hour 2" Air Date 1/18/21

A woman found one like yours with the March date. It was in good shape because she found it in an old building, not in the ground. The auction expert told her that the button was made for Washington's March Inaugural but Washington wasn't inaugurated until April of that year because it was delayed so that more people could have time to travel to see the inauguration. At the end of the appraisal, (done in 2007) the expert told her it was worth about $3,000 @ auction. The 2021
price had increased to $5,000. For you & those interested, it would be worth it to watch that episode if you can find it on demand on the PBS site.
Congrats on your great find "Delmarva" !!!!!

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice one !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread