Gypsy Soup

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The true gypsy soup was made in the camps around a fire when the wind was howling and the snowflakes flying
Everyone who had been out hawking or skimming the hedges, brought back whatever they had gathered during the day and it all went into the soup pot with river water or if that was not available plain old snow
If you had nothing to bring to the pot you popped in stones and sometimes stones and snow where what made up the soup, never tasted anything better, hunger tends to highlight all flavours

One small cabbage

One medium onion

Four carrots
2 stalks celery (use ends diced fine,chop chunky stalk peices)

Three large potatoes

Two cups corn

One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes

Seven cups water

2 cloves garlic, crushed

Four tablespoons olive oil

One half lemon, juiced and strained (optional)

One teaspoon vegetable seasoning

One tablespoon salt

Directions:

Cut the cabbage in quarters and take out the hard center piece in each quarter.
Slice the quarters into shreds about one-half inch thick.
Peel and slice the carrots into chunky rounds.
Peel the potatoes and dice into pieces about a half-inch square.
Heat the olive oil in a six-quart, dutch-oven pan.
Add the chopped vegetables and cook, covered, over medium heat for about ten minutes, stirring often.
After the vegetables are “sweated,” add the vegetable seasoning and continue to cook and stir another five minutes, so as to create a “flavor base” for the vegetables.
Add the canned tomatoes.
Fill the empty can with water twice and add to the soup pot. Add the salt.
Bring the soup to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Add the frozen corn, bring the soup back to a boil and simmer another ten minutes.
When soup is done, add the strained lemon juice, if desired.
Serve with any kind of homemade bread. We used spiced pumpkin bread and it was very good.

Astrological Lore:This is a nice recipe for Virgo times because it’s simple, frugal and healthful. When Sol is in Virgo and Luna is full in Pisces, Jupiter is emphasized as the co-ruler of Pisces. Jupiter rules Sagittarius, sign of the gypsies, who are wanderers. Gypsy music does the trick for a Full Moon in Pisces.

Attachments

• Soup.jpg
    Soup.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 347

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Well my Mars is in Pisces and my Venus is in Libra, however I may just use this soup to take the edge off on the 1st.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cabbage gives me gas any substitutions ?

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gypsy ,Did you forget the can-opener ;D ;D ;D

tinpan Tin soup. open one can of tinned soup, add water and boil.

M

MiniMe

Looks and sounds great. I love cabbage (don't like the affects it has on Civil though, LOL), never thought about putting it in soup. I'm going to have to try this one - it's that time of the year for soup.

tinpan said:
Hi Gypsy ,Did you forget the can-opener ;D ;D ;D

tinpan Tin soup. open one can of tinned soup, add water and boil.

Ewe....can't stand the metalic taste.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Gypsy, this soup sounds good. With it turning cold here this week I may try it. I've put cabbage in soups before it gives it a great flavor. The wonderful thing about soups is you can start with a recipe and make it your own. Can't eat cabbage? Leave it out and add something like green peas, or snap beans. Instead of seven cups of water you could use 3 cups water and 3 cups of chicken or beef broth.

This soup sounds great the way it is.

Pepper

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Gypsy, at first I thought the recipe was simply what's known around here as "Dago Cabbage" but after seeing the pic I realized it was much more! Actually, if you leave the taters and corn out you almost have the basic "Cabbage Soup Diet". And it is obvious you are located above the Mason-Dixon line; any true Southerner (and I'm not) would think of using only cornbread as an accompaniment to this fabulous-looking recipe. Gotta try it! :P

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
wesfrye53, your right about the cornbread. :D And it would be the homemade kind. Not out of the box. ack :P

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
wesfrye53 said:
Gypsy, at first I thought the recipe was simply what's known around here as "Dago Cabbage" but after seeing the pic I realized it was much more! Actually, if you leave the taters and corn out you almost have the basic "Cabbage Soup Diet". And it is obvious you are located above the Mason-Dixon line; any true Southerner (and I'm not) would think of using only cornbread as an accompaniment to this fabulous-looking recipe. Gotta try it! :P

And just where would a good geepsy girl steel the cornbread from Wessy? (This sentence must be said aloud with heavy Hungarian Accent for full effect)

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Well Gypsy Belle, if ya'll wud jest ask fer some, I jest mite be asending ya some in the post. But ya'll has to ask furst, And ya shore dun wanna ferget some good hot kayanne peppers to go along with that mess o' soup and cornbred :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread