Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hope these pictures help Bass. HP is 1/4
FR. 48y
Volts115
AMPS 5.3
RPM 1725
Manufacturer no MM97C
I think he said he got the motor at Grainger maybe? Looks like the model number is there too which is 3K771

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent work CoilyGirl. Your help is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Please let me know if you decide to build one Bass. The new ones with two chambers for bottles are over $700.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks. If I do build one, I'll post pictures.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoilyGirl, have you polished a rectangular or square bottle yet?

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We're doing a small square ink right now,I'll let ya know how it turns out.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I see CoilyGirls motor is thermally protected. Make sure any motor you use is thermally protected because we dont want to burn our house down. 1/4 HP is considered minimum for one roller, you need more hp for multi roller machines. The average "standard" rpm for motors is 1750, so you have to do some reduction with belts and pulleys to get your tube to go around 20 rpm. The math is tricky. You will want to shoot for 20 rpm on the tube with the ability to go slower for fragile or square pieces. Faster is ok for robust round pieces like mineral waters. Ball bearings are best, but plain sintered bronze bearings are okay if you keep them oiled. These are just basic rules of thumb. This thread is making me want to start building my machine. I am using a radical new design but I'm not sure how I'm going to pull it off yet. And, of course, the tubes and stopples and other stuff are a nightmare on their own. I want to use clear tubes but just look at the price of that crap. Go to McMaster-Carr.com and look up the prices on clear acrylic or polycarbonate tubes in the 5 6 7 8, 10" range. Ouch.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the bottles rest on the copper while they are in the tubes or are they somehow fastened and not able to move around inside the tube? And where do you get the stopples? Couldn't you use pvc pipe with threaded caps on end(s).

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do the bottles rest on the copper while they are in the tubes or are they somehow fastened and not able to move around inside the tube? And where do you get the stopples? Couldn't you use pvc pipe with threaded caps on end(s).

Bass ,one end of the PCV pipe you will clog with a stopple with fingers on it that screws into the PCV pipe,this holds the bottom of the bottle in place inside the pipe. You then pour the copper fillings ,water, chemical powder,around the outside of the bottle after you have filled it with copper,water,and chemicals. You then put the other stopple that is shaped like a dreidel or top inside the mouth of the bottle and tighten it up so the pipe can be turned on its side and won't leak. You get the stopples and chemicals needed from The Jar Doctor,his name is Wayne. My husband talked to him and he is very good about explaining the techniques even if you don't buy a machine from him.

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha. So the bottle is secured at the top and base by the 2 stopples.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread