Had a good chuckle while detecting today

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out scouring some curb strips in front of empty lots and empty houses today. As I was in the process of digging a target I caught glimpse of someone out of the corner of my eye and heard the all too familiar "excuse me, can I help you?" LOL. Why do they always ask that? :icon_scratch: I had my headphones on so I pretended to not hear her until she got closer. :laughing7: Then I pulled one earcup off and said "Nope, I'm fine." and went back to digging. It was very apparent this wasn't the answer she was expecting. So she continues by saying "I would appreciate it if you didn't dig deep holes here, there are kids who play around here." So I waved my arm to indicate the area behind me and said "I refill all the dirt in my digs, so there are no holes left." LOL, It was obvious she wanted to get rid of me but I had answer to her concerns. Her next quip was "well, you should check with the owners to make its OK to do that here". Now, make no mistake, I saw the trap she was trying to set from a mile away. *** curb strips are public and legal to hunt in my town*** I know she was expecting me to claim to have express permission for private property, which she was apparently connected with. I just smiled and said "This is public property." You should have seen the shock on her face. :hello2: So I continued to explain for her. "Everything from THIS sidewalk all the way across the street to that other sidewalk is owned by the city. It's public property. It's where the city runs public utilities and they can come in any time they want and trench the entire thing and remove whatever landscaping they want to. They can also widen the roadway or replace or change the sidewalk without any owner approval because they maintain ownership." Now she looked concerned and asked "Well, why do I have to mow it then?" So I laughed and told her that was a good question.

She wandered off (back to a business on the backside of the block) muttering that she needed to call the city and find out. You would think that people who own a property would actually be familiar with the boundaries and right-of-ways of what they paid for. Anyway, I finished out my hunt (got some wheats and a barber dime) and never heard from her again.

That's why it pays to know the laws of your area!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always makes me feel good when I'm right and I win, if that is what you call it.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you, kinda surprised she didn't take it further...

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You should have told her that this is good exercise and it helps to reduce weight and burn off excess fat, "Would you like to try it?"

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Did her PO have her on community service or something; I just ask because it seems odd for someone to be placed on a detail of mowing city property. I know the only way someone will get me to cut city grass is through court order.

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did her PO have her on community service or something; I just ask because it seems odd for someone to be placed on a detail of mowing city property. I know the only way someone will get me to cut city grass is through court order.

LOL, no I think her husband (who owns the business behind this location) also owns the vacant lots. I think most people feel they own these curb strips because it about 75% of their "yard" for the home. Some people put a LOT of landscaping onto these strips and I can only imagine the crying when the city decides to come replace the water line underneath.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL, no I think her husband (who owns the business behind this location) also owns the vacant lots. I think most people feel they own these curb strips because it about 75% of their "yard" for the home. Some people put a LOT of landscaping onto these strips and I can only imagine the crying when the city decides to come replace the water line underneath.

Alright, I understand now. Heck I would have not been as polite as you where as I would have told her to go confirm it with her PO. Just a LEO thing I guess, but mix ignorance, rudeness, stupidity and community work that seems anything but volunteer and I think criminal.

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, I understand now. Heck I would have not been as polite as you where as I would have told her to go confirm it with her PO. Just a LEO thing I guess, but mix ignorance, rudeness, stupidity and community work that seems anything but volunteer and I think criminal.

Well, I'm at a significant disadvantage there. I have discovered from first-hand experience that as long as I am employed by the city fire dept, I MUST be courteous and friendly to all people at all times. According to our chief, anything done on or off duty that has a negative impact on public perception of the department (even when it has no relation to the dept) WILL be met with punishment. In other words, anybody complains about something you say or do and you may not have a job any more.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You handled it just right Jason! You knew what was what and stayed calm and focused!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Fun story. Thanx for posting Jason. And you were on strips in front of vacant lots, for pete's sake. So this isn't one of those debates about "manicured strips in front of personal homes" type things. So it was a fun read.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread