Had a positive run-in with a DEM officer today

B

Bev

Warning- this post is not grammatically correct!

I had a few minutes this morning and went down to a quarry which is actually on DEM property (Dept of Environmental Management) Since it's fairly open and near the highway I figured I could hang out for a few minutes. I was down on the water's edge and a guy spoke- I looked up the hill and there was a DEM officer looking at me. I let out a yelp and told him he just scared the crap out of me and he laughed. He asked if I had found anything and I shrugged. Told him I was still learning. He told me it was deer hunting season and I said, "Over here too?? I'm trying to get away from the hunters!" He said, yeah they're everywhere and said I should get an orange hat which I forgot in the Jeep and told him so. So I said why don't I walk out with you, went up introduced myself and shook his hand. He said you dont have to leave, just dont want you to get shot, you can detect anywhere on DEM property, in fact a lot of the officers do it too and they get together and have classes on it, so it's no problem. I told him about getting kicked out by a hunter the other day and he said he can't do that but he stressed the orange.
I gave him my handy dandy business card I made up with the help you guys, and he said let me give you my card in case anyone ever gives you any trouble. I heard choirs singing! I may have it laminated!
Hurray for a nice DEM officer!
(Remember though that each state is different and have different rules and regs!)

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Thanks for the info. Bev, that's great to hear. I'll be RI this weekend (actually every weekend). I see lots of DEM signs around, so I'll have to keep an eye out for some areas. Detector's always in the trunk, till the ground freezes...

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely wear the blaze orange if you're out in the woods this time of year. A hat and a vest. Not only during deer season, but squirrel too. A coil swinging through the leaves can sound a lot like a squirrel running around to an overzealous squirrel hunter. I don't mind bow hunters, but deer gun season I stay out of the woods completely.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
B

Bev

Squirrel? We don't have squirrel season up here! Deer I completely agree!! Squirrel must be a lot like rabbit though I bet.

Attachments

• Picture 1978.jpg
    Picture 1978.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 327

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea anywhere now you want to be in blaze orange around the woods ----around here they are maniacs for deer hunting ---my hubby included :laughing7:

cool Bev---that is great you made a wonderful contact-----it IS all about who ya know nowadays and you got a good contact!!

OP
OP
B

Bev

That would be true- He was really nice, if he was a jerk I think I wouldve just cried! I told him that I saw a couple here a while ago doing mushrooms and he cracked up- he said you mean "harvesting" mushrooms...right? Oooops wrong verb! Yeah, nice Polish couple with a big basket of them, I said how do you know they aren't poison? She looked at me strangely and with a thick accent said, "Because we're Polish!" Oooh... okay then!

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hahaha

"because we're Polish"

ok good enough reason for me----that is so funny

I always wanted to mushroom hunt but honestly, even with a book descrip. and pic in front of my face I would still be very worried I would make the wrong choices. I just don't trust me haha

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Good "paperwork" is always nice to have. I was selling at an art festival. I pulled into the parking lot and was stopped by a police aux. officer. He requested a $2 donation to park on that lot. I gave him the $2 and he gave me a permit to park there during the festival. It had the town seal on it and police aux. Below that it had the dates of the festival. I trimed the date off and leave it on the dash. I think it might have saved me some money.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your new contact. Please do wear some orange right now. Around here they pick mushrooms.. the edible ones and what we call the funny ones from the cow fields. But what do I know I sometimes buy my corn in a jar :icon_sunny:
Have fun.
TnMtns

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
"the edible ones and what we call the funny ones from the cow fields. But what do I know I sometimes buy my corn in a jar "....ahhh, the good ol days...glad I lived through them...
:laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions