Had a short competition with another coin roll hunter

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at my dump bank to pick up some cash for my pickups at 9am Friday. I heard a teller asking the other tellers if they had any halves (I knew they had 1000's in the back, but they don't offer their bags for sale). They didn't, and the CRH left. I quickly gathered my cash and the race was on.

He missed my usual 2nd stop and I grabbed a roll (nothing), then I proceeded to my third stop and they had $2.50 in halves (didn't see his truck). At my 4th stop, I saw his truck, so I just skipped that bank. At my 5th stop, they had a roll in the vault and it took a while for them to pull it out...I was getting nervous that my competitor was scooping up the teller trays...they finally brought it out and bam...it was a small score: a single worn 1934 walker among a bunch of bicentennials. I beat him to my 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th stops on my way to work, but no more silver from the trays. A small victory over an unaware opponent. I'm sure it's happen to all of us on both ends of the deal many times.

Total for the day was 4-40% and 2-90%.
Keep on rolling!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple weeks ago, I asked my wife to ask our bank if they had any halves and she was told that another guy was just in that morning and bought all they had. I'm just a beginner so I guess it is me that is encroaching on his territory. Last week I had to deposit a check and asked the two tellers (at a local grocery store branch) if they had any old coins. They both said no and asked a few questions. I explained to the young man there that I was CRH'ing and as as I got done with the explanation the young woman teller admitted that she buys every silver coin she finds and that she has for years. I offered her spot price for all she had, but she wasn't very interested.

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... I'm just a beginner so I guess it is me that is encroaching on his territory. .... I explained to the young man there that I was CRH'ing and as as I got done with the explanation the young woman teller admitted that she buys every silver coin she finds and that she has for years. I offered her spot price for all she had, but she

First of all, welcome to the hunt. It's an enjoyable hobby. Second, I guess we CRHunters are a bit territorial, but it's all fair game. A few bits of etiquette:

1). Don't order large amounts of coin (meaning like 6 boxes) until you have established a report with the vault manager.
2). Don't order coin and dump it at the same bank.
3). Never point out a fellow CRH to others or tellers. We are private with our banking transactions.
4). Don't talk about silver and it's value openly with the tellers unless you want to create another collector like the one in your story above. They might press you on it and you will have to use your best judgement, but typically this is bad for business.
5). Some people find the marking of coins distasteful. If you do it, avoid making the coins so hideous that banks might reject taking them or they won't go through the machine (some have painted their coins).
6). Some CRHs reroll their half dollars in the original machine wrappers. I have done this in the past out of necessity due to just not having new wrappers available week in and week out. Coin machines or coin lock bags are the way to go if possible.

Best of luck finding silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread