Had an interesting day today...

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went on my first REAL hunt with my explorer se. I went to the old homestead that I mentioned a few times and found some interesting things. There is no visual evidence that there was ever a home there, but something about the trees that were there seemed out of place. Me and my buddy were digging up a bunch of old mason jar lids that had ceramic in them, nails, strips of metal with keyholes in them and some different things. We decided to see if we could find some of the old foundation stones or something to prove there was a house there. We finally found one huge rock that was covered in grass and leaves and it turned out to be the base of an old chimney. I wasnt able to hunt it as long as I wanted, but did come up with some pretty cool things. I actually found a 1907 coca cola watch fob. I had to do a lot of research to figure it out, but I think its pretty cool. I also found a huge elephant head about four or five inches down. Its pretty ornate looking and I figure it went to some kind of outdoor furniture. Im going to clean it up and try to get some pics of it. coca cola.jpeg coca cola 2.jpeg

Upvote 3
OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Michael,

Excellent find, sir. Is it plated brass? Is there a maker's mark under the 5?

Did'ya see this one: Hake's - "COCA-COLA" CIRCA 1907 SILVERED BRASS WATCH FOB WITH ORIGINAL STRAP.

001_big.jpg

I'm pretty sure its brass but I couldn't tell what it had been plated with and also the loop that the belt was attached to was broken off. I rechecked the hole and couldn't find anything. I wish it would've been complete and yes if you dab it with a little water you can actually see the maker's name, but it is so small I can't read it but it does match up with what I read online. It has a lot of detail, but time had taken its toll on it lol. I know the ones that are pretty much mint even say coca cola on the little glass. Amazing the detail they could have back then.

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They actually come in gold and silver plated brass and some are full silver or gold. Wish it would've been one of those. The gold ones have sold in auction for 1000+ bucks. Its still nice just to hold on to something that cool.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's def sumthing not found everyday. That wood hav made my day for sure.. CONGRATS.. HH

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's def sumthing not found everyday. That wood hav made my day for sure.. CONGRATS.. HH

It really did make my day lol I haven't found any coins at all. The whole area is just COVERED with buried metal and I literally pass up more than I dig. I am a long way from learning my machine lol I sure did dig up a lot of mason jar lids and different pieces of china plates. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what this place was because it is out in the middle of the woods. I'm actually thinking it could've been an old store.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love Coca-Cola stuff and would love to find that in the soil! Congrats!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find congrats.

MadPoetLaw

Feb 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find. I've yet to pull any cool fobs out of the ground

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool. Nice find :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the elephant head I found. Seems to be a leg to a very small table. elephant.jpeg elephant2.jpeg elephant3.jpeg

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a leg from a cook stove or room stove

Im hoping there is a way to clean it up or restore it. I can't wait to find the time to go back there. I think the place may have burned down. There is just so much stuff left there its ridiculous. I even left stuff in the woods that I didn't know what they were. Going back to get them though of course lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread