Had an interesting day yesterday. Again, Coinstar is my friend!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
OK so I have been taking a break from half hunting.

I got off work, and went to my bank to cash my check. The teller who was helping me is the one who orders my halves (when I order them).
I was telling her that in the near future, when I get my tax refund, I may have her start ordering my usual box per week.

So as I am talking to her, I looked at her change tray, and lo and behold I could see a white-edged half.

So I told her "I want to buy a single half dollar". She said "Ok", and I reached over and pointed at the one and said "I want to buy THAT one".

Turned out to be a 1967 half in good shape. So I said "Hey...1967...the Summer Of Love", and we had a laff over that.

So....I then went to the grocery store next door. And as always as I was walking by the CoinStar machine I looked down into the reject tray, only to see it was FULL of change!

Woohoo!

So I grabbed it...it was a handful. Noticed lotsa foreign coins in the bunch as well.

I got 77 cents in clad, mostly pennies, with one quarter and a couple of nickels, and a couple of dimes. I looked closely at them, only to find that in the pennies was a 1946-D wheatback, and one of the dimes was a 1964 Rosie!

So then I turned my attention to the foreign coins.

There were 8 coins that had writing on them that resembled Korea, with the number 10 on them, but no dates whatsoever. They are copper and about the size of a thin quarter. Then there were 2 smaller coins. One is 5 centimas, 1995 from Peru, and then a coin that was a 2003 1000 dong coin from Vietnam! :D

SO....my thinking is that some immigrant dropped their change in the Coinstar machine, but had no idea of how it really operated, thus leaving the change in the reject tray.

Here is an overall pic of my Coinstar finds. Anyone know what country those mystery 10 coins are from?:
mmvb83.jpg

Close up of the obverse and reverse of the 1000 dong coin
r9oar4.jpg
ngr0bo.jpg

Close up of the obverse and reverse of the 5 centimos coin
2q9a1rn.jpg
9svw9k.jpg

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds :D and nice eye on that half, ill take silver at face any day lol HH

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ones with the 10 on them are Jap. 10 yen coins. Nothing uncommon about those as far as value. Still used today. Then you have a Vietnamese coin and a Peruvian coin from Peru

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
MalteseFalcon

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Thanks so much for the info!

I figured the Japanese 10 Yen coins were not worth that much, as they all look relatively recent, and of course, 10 yen is not much at face value.

That said, 10 yen is worth 11 cents US right now, so I got 88 cents, plus the other stuff out of the coinstar for free, so I got about 1.75 face value or so, plus the Rosie.

;D

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
10 yen coins with a reeded edge are worth a bit more. Reeded 10 yen coins were made up to 1958 I think.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Nice spot on the half. But i think your better off taking all the halves so as not to bring attention to the one that sticks out. She may get curious and by the next time you go in she may be a collector too.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
now i know this isn't as exciting, but a found a 1971 half dollar under the coin counting machine at the bank today. ;D and it wasn't even mine!

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, nice Dong...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions