Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks so much for this thread! Kudos for your efforts!

I have nephews and nieces in Redding (California) and plan to definitely see the exhibit in person.

HH Joe

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The museum is "temporary" at this time and there will be a groundbreaking for the permanent one soon and more of Mr. Wallace's items will be on display at the permanent museum close to the Redding airport.

sailri

May 26, 2009
packerbacker said:
The museum is "temporary" at this time and there will be a groundbreaking for the permanent one soon and more of Mr. Wallace's items will be on display at the permanent museum close to the Redding airport.

Great find and even greater story.

Three links to add to the story. Link to a photo he took before the war, story in the news of getting hit at Pearl, and a story about the museum with the display.

http://imgzoom.cdlib.org/Fullscreen.ics?ark=ark:/13030/kt5z09q9tg/z1&&brand=calisphere

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...-EpAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Y_8DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6382,3157391

http://www.andersonvalleypost.com/news/2011/apr/12/keeping-past-alive/?print=1

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome finds man nice job on it like you said it wasn't found with a metal detector but better yet it was found by someone with the inthusasium of the value of the find. It has been a long day. HH and good luck with your research man, with your piece of history.....HH freddy

harryb007

Oct 28, 2010
Waterboro, Maine
Detector(s) used
XLT, Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
I just read this entire thead and was at the edge of my seat the whole time. It has been mentioned several times in here that a book should be written, well I believe one has and it is right here. You definately deserve kudos for all your work and diligence. Most would have sought profit. Thank you very much!!!!!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow talk about bringing history to life, congratulations on your find and thanks for sharing it with all of us!

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
OMG! That's Awesome! That's a find of a life time! I'm so glad that guy didn't take everything to the dump! There's a lot of history there. I'm glad the right person came along and did the right thing! Your The Best! That's got to be in the top 5 of TNet's best finds, if not the best!

Great Job!!!

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
packer...what a find...how'd I mess this thread?

fantastic find...there were five silk maps to go with the blood chit.
I haven't found an original in years...and you find the entire enchilada ...

thanks for sharing...i'd contact pearl harbor museum for donation...
how many of our hero's die alone an unknown.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all again for the kind words. Author 109, I bought your book "Above an Angry Sea", it was a great read. Pip, this stuff is now in the Northern California Military museum in Redding. I've often wondered if remnants of this plane could be found. It went down fairly close to land and he was very specific about the direction the attack came from. Storms have probably turned it to dust.
Author 109, I sent you an email but you only had one post so I may have lost contact. I know your name though so maybe I can find you. Were any bodies of those lost ever recovered that you know of??

Chuxter

Jul 29, 2013
Packer, just incredible. I started reading this thread and could not put it down. The photos and letters just document the role these men had in the war so well. The attitude these young men carried with themselves, and some to their graves is awe inspiring. What a testimonial to the integrity of these men defending our country, and to you Packer for documenting and bringing this all to light. In this era of "look at me" individuals, and pilfering anything for a few bucks, you have shown us the uncommon integrity of today, that was more common yesteryear. For that, I thank you Packer. Today is a great day. -Chuck

metalmilitia

May 25, 2014
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 505,Garret at pro,Garrett propointer,Strong will and determination.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find and story with such historic values love it thanks for sharing.

dpalma

Dec 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to all:
Thank you for posting this photo of the crew. I have a similar photo.
My fathers, Jerome Palma, was one of the survivor of this crew and plane crash. He is in the photo on the bottom right. He also received the distinguished Flying Cross, Purple Heart and various other medals. He was very badly injured from the crash and spent about 6 months in the Honolulu Naval Hospital recovering from his injuries.
He returned home to Chicago after the war and became a husband to Lillian, electrician, builder and father to 3 boys. He lived in Downers Grove Il. until 1981 and died from trauma caused by an injury to his head from the aircraft crashing into the ocean.
He was a wonderful man and lived his life after the war with much honor and enthusiasm for life.
He is truly missed by his surviving family.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread