Had one of those days... NOTHING went right!!!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't done much in the woodshop lately because of the cold. This lady just opened a new pet supply store in town and asked me if I'd make her a few items. She sends me some photos for me to review of the items she'd like. So I say sure and we work out a wholesale price if she takes everything I can make out of one sheet of plywood. Sounds good to me... I'll get out of the house, crank up the radio, have a few beers and make a little cash. If... repeat... IF everything goes right I can take a $53.00 sheet of 3/4" birch plywood and turn it into $160.00 in a day. Everything goes downhill from here... 1st I have to fire up the old FULL SIZE Chevy truck to go get the plywood. There goes about $12.00 dollars in gas. Then while I'm in town I have to get the beer. So I get a $13.00 12 pack in case I have problems. So I get to shop and unload the 4' x 8' x 3/4" piece of wood. After setting up saws I whack the sheet up into the parts I need. Then a $30.00 router bit breaks. Back to town I go in car and another $7.00 in gas. I get back and put all the boxes together and it's time to sand a little where needed. I sand 1 box and my $60.00 Dewalt palm sander STOPS! I quit... grab beer... go home.

Now after this morning coffee and breakfast back to town I'll go for new sander. With NO MORE PROBLEMS ...I'll only lose $15.00 on entire project. Might make another beer run also.... stay tuned!!!!!!

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well................at least you get two beer runs out of the deal.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
What you do limitool in a situation such as this is to,take any tool youre using and intentionally break it.You now have an excuse to go and get more beer.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What you do limitool in a situation such as this is to,take any tool youre using and intentionally break it.You now have an excuse to go and get more beer.:laughing7:

Damn Red.... that's some expensive beer drinkin'. I believe I'll just think up a reason up as usual. Good news.... Bought a Porter Cable palm sander for $51.00 bucks. And I got an extra box out of the sheet so I'm gonna about break even now. Just had to bit*h a little. All the tools break sooner or later and there is NEVER a good time when using them. I got my moneys worth out of them....

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Orbital Sander? Do you like it so far? I got one a few years ago but I haven't gotten a love for it yet,, My dewalts have been good to me overall. Do you make furniture?

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pub table I built couple of years ago (for the wife) P1000561.JPG .

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Haven't done much in the woodshop lately because of the cold. This lady just opened a new pet supply store in town and asked me if I'd make her a few items. She sends me some photos for me to review of the items she'd like. So I say sure and we work out a wholesale price if she takes everything I can make out of one sheet of plywood. Sounds good to me... I'll get out of the house, crank up the radio, have a few beers and make a little cash. If... repeat... IF everything goes right I can take a $53.00 sheet of 3/4" birch plywood and turn it into $160.00 in a day. Everything goes downhill from here... 1st I have to fire up the old FULL SIZE Chevy truck to go get the plywood. There goes about $12.00 dollars in gas. Then while I'm in town I have to get the beer. So I get a $13.00 12 pack in case I have problems. So I get to shop and unload the 4' x 8' x 3/4" piece of wood. After setting up saws I whack the sheet up into the parts I need. Then a $30.00 router bit breaks. Back to town I go in car and another $7.00 in gas. I get back and put all the boxes together and it's time to sand a little where needed. I sand 1 box and my $60.00 Dewalt palm sander STOPS! I quit... grab beer... go home.

Now after this morning coffee and breakfast back to town I'll go for new sander. With NO MORE PROBLEMS ...I'll only lose $15.00 on entire project. Might make another beer run also.... stay tuned!!!!!!
Hey there easy money! You spent the profit before you earned it. l.o.l. I,d call you gravy but you might take offence.:laughing7:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know what they say RC. A job in the hand is worth 5 you might or might not get. Or something to that effect? lol

Spend money in case you get the chance to make money.

Sorry Limit, struck me funny??? (bad dave)

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey there easy money! You spent the profit before you earned it. l.o.l. I,d call you gravy but you might take offence.:laughing7:

No argument guy... I did. The gas spent and beer don't even count. And I made so many things out of the broken router bit that broke and the sander that quit... I CAN'T EVEN COUT. No offence partner... you are SO RIGHT. And I did think it would be all gravy (But I do know better). I'm good... been here many times. Maybe I'll make some money on the next order....????? Just complaining a little.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Orbital Sander? Do you like it so far? I got one a few years ago but I haven't gotten a love for it yet,, My dewalts have been good to me overall. Do you make furniture?

Yes sir I make furniture. I've had 3 Dewalt palm/orbital sanders and I swear by them... they are good. I've never owned/used a Porter Cable one but thus far GREAT. It has the same 12,000 O.P.M. but I do NOT know if the motor is as good. But I do know that buying "entry level" tools and the ones that cost 2-4 times as much mean something. I guess you have to ask yourself am I a hobbyist or beyond this point.

Nice looking cedar table guy. I like the knotty pine wall also. I'm just a "wood" guy... some folks like it and some want paint. But good lookin' table. You ought to be proud.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Limit. Yeah, I am A wood guy too ( not usually furniture stuff though). That wall is T&G Aspen, but it does look a bit like knotty pine. Got pictures of some of your projects? I may have a couple of questions for you.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Limit. Yeah, I am A wood guy too ( not usually furniture stuff though). That wall is T&G Aspen, but it does look a bit like knotty pine. Got pictures of some of your projects? I may have a couple of questions for you.

Send PM also Dave. I made these poker frames awhile back but haven't done much with them since. The cards are sandwiched between glass with small mirrors mounted in the rear to view the cards. Like you see the camera's do on the "World Series of Poker". I made 2, 4 & 6 handed frames. The 6 & 2 handed ones are oak and the 4 handed is a popular pine frame. The dice you see around the frame are numbered Las Vegas dice. And I've made a LOT of different toy boxes and hope chests. I just love coming up with an idea and then if I can make it. I've made many children bedroom suites for all my grandchildren. The log bird feeders and houses look neat but their a pain in the butt to make... take a long time!!!

Attachments

• S6300939.JPG
    S6300939.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 33
  • S6301098.JPG
    S6301098.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 92
  • S6301099.JPG
    S6301099.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 79
  • S6301100.JPG
    S6301100.JPG