Had to correct a cop today

ilzho

Feb 28, 2014
Grand Prairie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was detecting on a middle school this morning and I swear within 2 minutes of me getting out of my car here comes a police officer. I couldn't even get all my crap on before he showed up :laughing7:

Anyway, we were chatting and he told me I couldn't detect on school property or parks. I proceeded to tell him I have an email from the principal allowing me to detect on Sundays and I had an email from the park superintendent stating that I could detect in the parks. He was somewhat dumbfounded about the parks and ask if he could see my email.

He was very nice and stupid me forgot my phone as it was at home charging up, I never leave without it, except today:BangHead:.
He said he went in to the park office and asked some woman and she said no, :laughing7:

During our brief conversation he said he detects as well, but then a call came over about a robbery and he had to leave. He told me he would be back, but I only stayed about an hour more and never saw him.

Anyway, I emailed the police dept wanting to talk to him more and if I can I might have a cop detecting buddy:headbang:.

A few points about this:1) always have your permission handy, 2) do your research as cops sometimes have incorrect information and 3) be very nice, because it will pay off in the long run.

David

Last edited:

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just follow the same rules I would when bird, hog, deer or other hunting on someone else's property. With 3 honorary sons that are LEOs I've always found that the courtesy thing is very important too. Carrying the "permission slip" with you is essential always. You gave good advice on all 3 points.

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, never hurts having an active officer with you as a detecting buddy.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the cop was trying to run you off his hot detecting spot ? If he responds to your request to be a detecting buddy, then you can find out his character for sure.

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, I can't state how much this frustrates me. I wish to God in heaven that people would just live and let live. There is absolutely no reason why you should be bothered while you're detecting a public school or park - unless you're doing it in the nude or some other reason to draw attention to yourself. Yeah, we dig little holes but before they go assuming we're going to use a backhoe to dig out a dime you need to be innocent until proven guilty. It seems nobody anymore gets cited or hassled for littering. A REAL bane on good mother earth. MD'ing is my therapy. Why does everything have to met with conflict?

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, I can't state how much this frustrates me. I wish to God in heaven that people would just live and let live. There is absolutely no reason why you should be bothered while you're detecting a public school or park - unless you're doing it in the nude or some other reason to draw attention to yourself. Yeah, we dig little holes but before they go assuming we're going to use a backhoe to dig out a dime you need to be innocent until proven guilty. It seems nobody anymore gets cited or hassled for littering. A REAL bane on good mother earth. MD'ing is my therapy. Why does everything have to met with conflict?

SilverFinger,

So now you're judge and jury over nude MDers??
:laughing7:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people can't stand to see someone else happy, it just ruins their day! Lol!

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Classic Hill Mine, Siskiyou County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Bazooka Gold Trap Super Prospector
Fossicker Production Pan
Proline 3in Dredge/Highbanker Combo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow a nice cop. i have heard of them but never actually seen one. From personal experience I know that there is nothing a police officer likes more than being told that they are wrong except Running after being told to freeze.

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

After reading that, I want to go detecting at a naturalist beach just out of spite :)

Come to think of it, you might get good stuff there. It's not like they can put their valuables in their pocket...

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last sunday I was detecting a site right at the sign saying "Entering National Park" where I have gone many times, on;y when going back to my car up pulls a ranger flips on his lights and "here we go"! Told me "ya know MD is illegal
in the National Park? I said I was pretty sure I was safe where I was but if I wasn't, "oops"
asked what I was looking for. I said "anything" showed what I had which was mostly bullets and nails, anyway=he said to check again the boundarys and he left. Anyway, when in doubt.....Hunt

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seemed like a good cop. I have never had a cop approach me at all. (yet....knock on wood.)you did a good job dealing with him.)

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Classic Hill Mine, Siskiyou County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Bazooka Gold Trap Super Prospector
Fossicker Production Pan
Proline 3in Dredge/Highbanker Combo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he was nude the cop probably wouldn't have even mentioned the metal detector. lol

OP
OP
ilzho

ilzho

Feb 28, 2014
Grand Prairie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The officer emailed me back and he gave me his cell number and wants a hunting buddy.
Looks like we might be able to hit some areas that otherwise might be off limits. He can just show his badge to people and off we go hunting, lol. Ok maybe not, but it's a nice thought anyway.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You are correct sir.

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow a nice cop. i have heard of them but never actually seen one. From personal experience I know that there is nothing a police officer likes more than being told that they are wrong except Running after being told to freeze.
..........Where I live we have nice cops and their cars also.... nice_pic_cop_car.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread