Had to keep pace with L4S (My first silver quarter ever!!!!)

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Hi all,
Was not planning to get out today. I have felt a little frustrated for a while over not pulling any silver quarters. This morning in my morning prayers I mentioned to the big guy that I'd like to find a silver Washington sometime soon (don't normally pray for such trivial wants, but I did today, and I'll give the big man his dues for a timely answer!) . I wasn't going to go out today thinking it'd be stormy all day, but when I saw it cleared, I had to go out! Work was just a bunch of paper work and stuff, I can do that tonight.

So I had a long 3.5 hours of only getting 1 Wheat, which was real jumpy (between iron and wheat, but I dug it) -- a 55-d. I had forgotten my water, and was getting hot (heavy sweats just don't do it in this near 60 stuff). I was tired and frustrated. I tried 1 other area, just before I was going to leave -- there it was a text book quarter signal on the Etrac and only 2 inches deep. I was afraid it was going to be trash, but when I saw it laying flat, it was so shiny I knew it was silver without a date or reeds. Then as I was washing in a nearby stream, I laughed when I saw a 6 and then a 4 -- just got it, a 64-d. BTW, they kept minting 1964 silver coins through january of 1966, you can look it up, but it is a fact.

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

I know its not a full liberty barber or a barber quarter, but I am stoked that it is my first silver quarter ever (I still have 1 week till my 1 year anniversary of MD'ing.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
WTG, Jon!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congrats on your first quarter! :wink: You don't need to make excuses for old George. Silver George has a special place in my heart. Took me a long time to find my first one.

I still get surprised by depth on certain coins. Last year I found a '35 only 3 inches down in a grass front yard. I thought for sure I was digging a clad. I guess you never know...

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow thats a nice one, not in circulation long, hardly any wear.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
A beautiful '64 George, dear comrad. I haven't ever found a '64 George but if I do I would be stoked too.

My first silvers ever were twin dateless standing liberties in 1995. Between then and 2005, I only found a meager handful of silvers. I found that once I knew what to listen for (and after upgrading of course), they all began to pile up over time.

I'm not sure about the Etrac, but a lot of silver quarters ring up kinda funky on my machine. I was watching some of Vidslayer's movies on Youtube (one of my favorite guys on there!), and it seems he digs a lot of iffy quarters too. A few of my silver quarters last year were all over the place. You just gotta dig em all.

Here's to some Barbers or Seated quarters for you this year, buuuuuddy :occasion14:

Joe

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Jon!

Silver George's have always been VERY elusive for me. . .

My first was in a backyard right down the street from where
DS Silver Bob lives. . . he "silver-tongued" permission on a
piece of property down the street from where he lived :D)

justdigging50

Sep 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC and Minelab Explorer II
Congrats on your First Washington! It is in great shape. I looked at the silver tally I thought you found silver and were on board already.

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
justdigging50 said:
Congrats on your First Washington! It is in great shape. I looked at the silver tally I thought you found silver and were on board already.

Already on the board, but this first was a first silver quarter, many dimes and silver nickels here-to-fore

TreasureGuy25

Dec 1, 2009
North Suburbs, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Ace 250, ProPointer
Great lookin quarter! Still lookin for my first silver quarter...besides the one I got in change from dunkin donuts a few weeks ago, haha! Nice work!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet.

Congrats...

love that bigger silver...

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Because of your post, I had to get out for 2 hours today and find a '42 Merc and a silver chain.

Can't wait to hit some of the parks we left off at last year. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Lookn4seated said:
Congrats! Because of your post, I had to get out for 2 hours today and find a '42 Merc and a silver chain.

The silver chain does not count. I went out for 1.5 hours today, b/c I thought you'd go out, but I could only pull a v-nickel.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
p2c said:
Lookn4seated said:

The silver chain does not count. I went out for 1.5 hours today, b/c I thought you'd go out, but I could only pull a v-nickel.

LoL! I'm not counting the chain, don't worry, just the coin. The chain was just a nice icing on the cake. :icon_pirat:

A V-Nickel is good too. Theres gotta be some silver nearby. Thats how I found that nice barber dime the other day. Fund it about 20 feet away from where I found my V.

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats ON YOUR FIRST SILVER QUARTER,WTG!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread