Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had 3 or 4 fellers who wanted to get together over the holiday to do some huntin'...and the weather was in the mid 40's for two days. However...this was our first Thanksgiving without my mom...so spending time with my family was the only thing on my mind. :angel7:

On Sunday though I woke up and needed to feel the peace and solice of having the headphones on. Problem was that there was a little snow on the ground...so I waited a couple of hours to see what the weather would do. ??? Well by noon time...most of it had melted and the temp here climbed to near 40 degrees...so off I went. :thumbsup: I'm sure this was my last long hunt of the season because of the falling temps and freezing ground...but if so...I couldn't have scripted it any better.

Slow...steady...patient...and concentrating on the sparse signals..is my type of hunt. Sometimes stuff pops out...and sometimes it doesn't.
At this park...that's the only type of huntin' left...so it's a good thing I enjoy it. :D I've said this many times before...but it's no bull...many times this park gives up NOTHING...but this time was different.

I went there needing a "fix" because I know the hunting season is drawing to a close...and again went thinking..."just one more".
I also went there needing just 2 more injuns...and one more silver coin to hit year end totals for both that I never thought possible because I'm hunting the same pounded parks I've been hitting for years. I was sitting on totals of 98 Injuns...and 199 silvers for the year. Regardless of that fact...I would have been completely satisfied finding "just one more" keeper. :thumbsup:

All 5 of the coins that popped out over the next 5 hours were in the 8" to 10" depth range. I won't bore you with the "deep iffy warble" I heard while locating most of them because I have explained it before. :icon_sunny:

The most rewarding find of the day was the shocker 3rd barber dime that popped at the end of the long hunt.

I was ready to go home completely satisfied after popping out the second Barber (1892 DARN IT ???) from 9" down ..then a second injun from 10" down. However...I realized that this would probably truly be the last multi hour hunt of the season for me. Like a stubborn little kid...I decided there was only 45 minutes until dark...so what the heck...I kept on going. ;D

Right before darkness set in.... I wandered right back to a 20 foot area by a big tree where the second Barber came from. I VERY thoroughly pounded this small area for nearly 2 hours previously... but it was getting dark...so I just settled in there. :tongue3: At this point I couldn't even see the screen...so I turned the light on...but it did no good. ???You know the annoying time of day I'm speaking of...too dim to see it...but also no help from the light because it wasn't quite dark enough yet. :cussing:

I was hunting strictly by sound alone when I got a faint warble after a null. I turned directions and then got a null followed by a faint warble. It only repeated from two out of 4 directions...but when it hit...the deep warble sounded nice. :thumbsup: No way I pass this up...especially when it was less than 10 feet from where the second Barber came from. :wink: Funny thing was... that I could clearly see my "swing" tracks...and footprints from where I had ALREADY been over this exact spot. ??? Obviously my coil hit it from one of the two directions that it gave NO signal over as I described.

Anyway I dug a deep plug and got down 9" ...and the probe sang. :thumbsup: I moved some dirt with my fingers and saw a big chunk of iron :angry4:...but also saw the reverse of a shiny piece of silver sticking out next to the iron. :icon_sunny: From 9" down...and with iron accross it...out popped a THIRD Barber Dime...1909. :headbang: The iron was draped right along the reverse edge as I have it in the picture...and you can see the rust stains along the edge as well. What a rewarding find. For me...it just doesn't get any better than that. :thumbsup: It kind of took the "sting" out of missing a seated coin by just ONE year on the second Barber I found. ;D If this was my last piece of silver this year....I'm okay with that.

I hope to get in another short hunt or 2...because I KNOW there has to be a seated coin hidin' in this park. :thumbsup: ...but if not...what a fun, rewarding hunt this was. Take care...and thanks for viewing. :wave:

Attachments

• coins141.jpg
    coins141.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 979
  • coins142.jpg
    coins142.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,011
  • coins143.jpg
    coins143.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,018
  • coins144.jpg
    coins144.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,011
Upvote 0

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Bryce, I both love and hate to read your posts. I love to read them for obvious reasons. I hate to read them because it forces me to realize that there are probably hundreds of old coins out there that I've walked right over and not found. >:(

An outstanding hunt and group of finds, as usual!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm really starting to hate winter!
Neil

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
wow!! I'll say that was a great hunt! I'm still looking for my first Barber. Patience is a virtue. Sorry to hear about your mom. Enjoy the ones you have while you have them. Life is unsure, handle with prayer.

HH, Ralph

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW ~ them's is some super nice old coins man! WOOHOO!!! I love digging Barber dimes and Indian Head cents! Very exciting!!

T

TreasurdiggrNY

What a hunt, great haul of Barber Silver and IH's :icon_thumleft: If there is Seated Silver there, you'll sniff it out. Good Luck!
Glenn

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, Bryce, what a great hunt, and more so, what a great year you've had!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

100 Injuns is simply impossible where I live, but 3000 wheats is do-able.

It has been so exciting all year to see your posts. Each and every one was a good read. I know nothing can make up the loss of a family member, but you have shown that even through difficult times, your passion of detecting has never faded, in fact it has rewarded you with peace and solitude in stressful times, something much greater than the finds we make. :thumbsup:

Congrats on far exceeding your expectations this year, and thanks for all the great posts, buddy! Your last sentence of your post tells it all.....you have challenged yourself....it's really fun to create a challenge like that....I do it all the time. Even if we don't find what we're looking for one day, we are determined to find it another day...and we usually do. ;D

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

pakeha63

Nov 13, 2008
Stockton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Lobo ST
Bryce, I really enjoy reading your metal detecting adventures :) I'm so jealous that you find old coins like that, and I haven't found one pre 1965 yet >:( I just don't think my Tesoro Lobo ST is the right detector for coin shooting the deeper, older coins. Yesterday I ordered a Minelab Explorer SE. I'm sure that once I get use to it, I'll start pulling some silvers.
Great story, and congratulations :thumbsup:

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
WOW, that's a pretty good winter hunt!
Nice OLD barber dime!
I found an 1892 earlier this year, but it's not THAT good looking. :thumbsup:
Todays the first day here that's been above 40 in the daytime in over 2 weeks, but I won't be able to get out in the daylight. >:(
The ground's been rock solid for the last 2 weeks, but it seemed to be softening up some this morning.
Well, maybe there's some hope for December still. :-\
Congrats on the AWESOME Barbers, and Injuns!
Keep at it!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bud, you think you could get me an appointment at that barbershop? :tongue3:

Great finds bud!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

I would have braved the cold for those. Your the barber indian king this yr man.

HH Jer

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations bryce. Im lucky If I find an Indian or a barber around here since the parks have been detected heavely.We will have a few nice days yet even with the snow so I will get out again. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
petersra said:
wow!! I'll say that was a great hunt! I'm still looking for my first Barber. Patience is a virtue. Sorry to hear about your mom. Enjoy the ones you have while you have them. Life is unsure, handle with prayer.

HH, Ralph
Thanks Ralph. I appreciate the kind thoughts.

rtde3 said:
Very Nice! :thumbsup:
Thanks buddy

RONC(OR) said:
I would call that a very good fix awesome congrats :thumbsup:
Thanks Ron

kimsdad said:
Bryce, I both love and hate to read your posts. I love to read them for obvious reasons. I hate to read them because it forces me to realize that there are probably hundreds of old coins out there that I've walked right over and not found. >:(

An outstanding hunt and group of finds, as usual!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm really starting to hate winter!
Neil
Thanks Neil. Trust me...I walk over plenty too. When I said I had already covered the area where the third Barber came from...I mean COVERED it. It was a small area...and I pounded it...getting the second barber there. When I REpounded it though...my coil must have hit the third barber from a different angle. :thumbsup:

phantomfinder said:
WTG , great finds ....
Thanks PF

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Wow, Bryce, what a great hunt, and more so, what a great year you've had!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

100 Injuns is simply impossible where I live, but 3000 wheats is do-able.

It has been so exciting all year to see your posts. Each and every one was a good read. I know nothing can make up the loss of a family member, but you have shown that even through difficult times, your passion of detecting has never faded, in fact it has rewarded you with peace and solitude in stressful times, something much greater than the finds we make. :thumbsup:

Congrats on far exceeding your expectations this year, and thanks for all the great posts, buddy! Your last sentence of your post tells it all.....you have challenged yourself....it's really fun to create a challenge like that....I do it all the time. Even if we don't find what we're looking for one day, we are determined to find it another day...and we usually do. ;D

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks Dan. Absolutely NO way I make it through this year if not for the peace and calm that swingin' the coil brought me. It allowed me to escape from the depression and despair...even if only for a short time.
I hope I can squeeze another short hunt or 2 in before the ground freezes...but if not...the last 5 coins I found were 2 injuns and 3 barbers...so I can live with that :D

TreasurdiggrNY said:
What a hunt, great haul of Barber Silver and IH's :icon_thumleft: If there is Seated Silver there, you'll sniff it out. Good Luck!
Glenn
Thanks Glenn. I just hope the snow stays away.

oddcoins said:
WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW ~ them's is some super nice old coins man! WOOHOO!!! I love digging Barber dimes and Indian Head cents! Very exciting!!
Thanks O.C.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JerDfx said:
Nice finds,

I would have braved the cold for those. Your the barber indian king this yr man.

HH Jer
Thanks Jer. This year has been nuts for me. Thank goodness I had detecting to keepp me going.

TreasureFiend said:
Hey bud, you think you could get me an appointment at that barbershop? :tongue3:

Great finds bud!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
;D Thanks Fiend. I hope to find some more stuff there...but the weather might not allow it until next year.

The Buzzard King said:
WOW, that's a pretty good winter hunt!
Nice OLD barber dime!
I found an 1892 earlier this year, but it's not THAT good looking. :thumbsup:
Todays the first day here that's been above 40 in the daytime in over 2 weeks, but I won't be able to get out in the daylight. >:(
The ground's been rock solid for the last 2 weeks, but it seemed to be softening up some this morning.
Well, maybe there's some hope for December still. :-\
Congrats on the AWESOME Barbers, and Injuns!
Keep at it!
Thanks BK. I hope you get some hunts in buddy. I hope for one or 2 more myself...even if they're only for an hour or 2

pakeha63 said:
Bryce, I really enjoy reading your metal detecting adventures :) I'm so jealous that you find old coins like that, and I haven't found one pre 1965 yet >:( I just don't think my Tesoro Lobo ST is the right detector for coin shooting the deeper, older coins. Yesterday I ordered a Minelab Explorer SE. I'm sure that once I get use to it, I'll start pulling some silvers.
Great story, and congratulations :thumbsup:
Thanks pakeha63. Trust me...you bought the right machine for deep coins. Make sure you don't try roo much too fast...or you'll get frustrated with it. Take your time and ease the learning process along by getting to know what it is saying to you out in the field. :thumbsup:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yer just a Silver FREAK! :D :icon_pirat: ;D
I love reading about your adventures! Always super finds! 8)

Nana :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread