Hafted Scraper

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
The hafted scraper I found recently, is an interesting point in that appears to have been broken, and then made into the hafted scraper after an impact fracture occurred.

I would theorize such an event occurring to a projectile point, and the resulting damaged relic modified into a hafted scraper would be relatively common. But from my experience this is the first I can visualize the impact result and see the next phase of the relics life coming into being.

Looking closely at what could be considered the obverse, in relation to the bevel, it looks like an impact fracture occurred. The right side of the blade is sheared off and a large impact flute is just right of center.
1716221814150.png

the broken blade edge shows rework only on one area.
1716222419293.png

The backside exhibits flaking on all of the edge of the blade. The channel just right of center I don't think was caused by the impact. I base this on the chipping seen just towards the scraper edge before the channel starts.
1716222075920-png.2150081

Attachments

• 1716222075920.png
    1716222075920.png
    685.3 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 8

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it, and the analysis. Makes you wonder would it be re-hafted after a break? Or would a dart or arrow shaft be sufficient and maybe just chop it down

Rockdog

Apr 28, 2024
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks like the original break took a large flake off of the back that extended to the front edge. That left the other side still sharp and not in need of reworking. It looks like they just needed to work half of the other side to get a good edge. That's pretty cool. The position of that flute I would agree looks like it was a flake taken out as a result of the impact. Nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions