Hairy, crazy ants invade from Texas to Miss.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - It sounds like a horror movie: Biting ants invade by the millions. A camper's metal walls bulge from the pressure of ants nesting behind them. A circle of poison stops them for only a day, and then a fresh horde shows up, bringing babies. Stand in the yard, and in seconds ants cover your shoes.

It's an extreme example of what can happen when the ants — which also can disable huge industrial plants — go unchecked. Controlling them can cost thousands of dollars. But the story is real, told by someone who's been studying ants for a decade.

"Months later, I could close my eyes and see them moving," said Joe MacGown, who curates the ant, mosquito and scarab collections at the Mississippi State Entomological Museum at Mississippi State University.

He's been back to check on the hairy crazy ants. They're still around. The occupant isn't.

http://www.wavy.com/dpps/news/strange_news/hairy,-crazy-ants-invade-from-texas-to-miss._3955761

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I guess I have never seen crazy, hairy ants, but I have dealt with fireants, that came to Tx from La!!!!!!!!!!

Think I would rather have crazy ants than the fire ants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing9:

olroy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread