Half Cent, Bullets, Decorative large flat, Enfield with a plug, Wow!!

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone. Ok, first these are not all from the same day or the same place. I'm just trying to catch up on some of my recent finds to show everyone.

I have tried hard to find another large cent at the property that has produced seven of them so far. I wasn't able to cough one up, but I did manage to find a half cent about 10 inches down. This coin is far more corroded than all of the other large cents though, and the only reason that I can make out what it is is because the profile of the face was some what preserved. It is a 1800-1808 Draped Bust Half cent, but I can't tell you any more than that.

The nice decorative, flat button was found at another location. It is my first decorative flat. It has little corns on it. Check it out. The partial spoon above it is pretty interesting because of the little decorative markings on it. Anyone know what these signify as to its make?

The nice Sharps bullet and the others in the other shot were found in the same field that I have been hitting with civilman1. Such a nice varity of bullets has come out of this place so far. Most of them are usually a little beat up from being knocked around in a plowed field for so long, so you can imagine my pleasant surprise when that first REALLY nice Sharps popped out. It is probably my nicest dug bullet yet. It is nearly flawless as though it was cast a few days ago. I love it. Also, check out the fired Enfield. It still has its original wooden plug in the bottom of it. That's gotta be rare.

Ok, the best find in these shots is obviously the Artillery "A" button. I didn't even think this was old when I dug it up because of its amazing shape. Like the Sharps bullet, this thing looks like it could have recently been cast. The backmark of P. Tait and Limerick confirm this to be a Confederate button made by an English manufacturer from Limerick, England. I found a very similar one online with an asking price of $850.00. Sweet. I can't believe this little thing is more valuable than my nice Union officer sword belt plate.
This button was found at the same property as the decorative flat button.

The other shot with the horse head thing is also from this same house. The buttons are old, but I think the horsehead piece came off of a toy holster or boot or something. It's kinda neat though. Look at the sleeping baby robins. They were in a bush there at this same property. I wanted to get a shot of them with their necks all stretched up waiting for mom and dinner, but by the time I got back there later with a camera, they were all asleep with their tummys full I imagine.

The rainy sunset pic didn't come out too bad. It was taken on my way back from detecting the other day. It started raining on me so I had to pack up. This pick was taken doing 65 mph, still raining, and through the windshield with the wipers going. Still looks pretty good.

Oh yeah, I though I might add that the object with the bullets that looks like a musket ball....isn't. It isn't metal at all. I think it may be a clay marble. I just happened to eyeball it in the field while detecting.

Attachments

• Halfcentothers.jpg
    Halfcentothers.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 428
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more pics...

Attachments

• Enfieldplug.jpg
    Enfieldplug.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 420
  • Sharps1.jpg
    Sharps1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 428
  • Newrelics.jpg
    Newrelics.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 430
OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some more...

Attachments

• Abuttonback2.jpg
    Abuttonback2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 423
  • Abutton2.jpg
    Abutton2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 409
OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more...

Attachments

• Rainysunset2.jpg
    Rainysunset2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 416
  • Sleepybirds.jpg
    Sleepybirds.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 437
  • Thatcherrelics.jpg
    Thatcherrelics.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 416

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BRAVO on all of it! The block "A" is quite a good find. Excellent other finds as well. I'm sure someone will help you out with the hallmarks on the pewter spoon handle soon enough. I'm not a hallmark guy...

Cheers,

Buckles

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I'm thinking those are not real hallmarks... I'm waiting to see what others say.

OUTSTANDING finds! Of course... a valuable button is gas money! LOL

I like the concho best... or rosette... whatever it is.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice finds. I really like the block A button.
Dman

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Nice finds!! I thinking "Eagle A" then scroll down and bam... big old Block A!!! Outstanding!!!!

MonkeyBoy

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great dig's Barry...and you're right,that was one of the nicest Sharp's I've ever seen.I say we take bet's and remove the plug to see what's there.....57 maybe.I couldn't sleep at night :wink: Congrat's on the "A" button as well,I hope it's worth the $850 or so.Very nice find's.....Talk to ya later!!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
A bird in hand and treasure under the bush..What a deal. Nice digs. Those are some great finds. jgas

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
I'm thinking those are not real hallmarks... I'm waiting to see what others say.

I don't get it. What do you mean you think they aren't real? They are on a "real" spoon from a 1700's property. Please explain.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome block A! I like the bullets too. You've got a nice place to hunt. Congrats!
Mike

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your spoon handle appears upside down for the hallmarks, I have not found the answer, but I highly suspect 1800-1830's and made in Birmingham or Sheffield. Hope someone has a definite answer.

Don

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
bearbqd said:
Montana Jim said:

I don't get it. What do you mean you think they aren't real? They are on a "real" spoon from a 1700's property. Please explain.

Yes... I'll explain.

I see marks, I know the marks I see are real, I just don't think they are "hallmarks" or "maker's marks" in anyway.

a1.JPG

Usually the hallmarks are made up of various other individual marks that represent various things... like:

The Standard Mark - indicating sterling percentages for example
The Date Letter - a different letter of shape for each year
The Assay Office Mark - The office that tested the item for silver/gold purity
The Duty Mark - post 1784 - 1890, confirming a tax had been paid
The Commemorative Mark - 20th/21st century - optional mark representing a time
The Assay Master's Mark - Edinburgh marked silver, prior to 1760

American hallmarks/maker's marks are full names or designs... very unlike this set of marks.

None of your marks represent ANY either British OR American.

Hence - I think there are marks that are not real, but they are for decoration and made to resemble a real hallmark.

I DO think it's a period spoon handle for sure, and therefore very cool, and possibley can even be traced to a manufacturer because of the markings... ergo - cool find!

Does anyone out there know of this being an actual halmark? If so - please respond!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread