Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Half dollar day, but it's not a cause for super excitement

This is the first half I've dug, although at a 100 year old house there are several other coins I'd have rather found. I got this on an hour long hunt at a new permission about 5 feet from my truck. It was the first target dug, but nothing else showed up as a keeper. I'm heading back on Monday sometime to follow up on a longer hunt, and I've got confidence that something will show up!

The owners of the house are a middle school history teacher and his wife is the curator of a Civil War museum, so I got quite a history lesson on the property and the immediate area. It was interesting, and they even lent me a book that tracks troop movement on our road (they live at one end, I at the other).

Attachments

• CAM00299[2].jpg
    CAM00299[2].jpg
    905.5 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 10

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the half. :occasion14: Sounds like an interesting property to hunt. GL & HH

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OLE JFK HIMSELF.....

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the half recovery! A 100 year old house, oh ya, there is silver waiting to see the sun again.

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I object to "not a cause for super celebration". I've found around 7000 coins and only 3 half dollars among that! Like yours one of mine was a JFK. The other two are Walking Libs. Finding that JFK was awesome and cause for big celebration. Extremely rare to find, awesome to dig up, and you should be patting yourself on the back until your shoulder has a rotator cuff injury! Don't poo-poo a rare find just because it's very cheap on the market!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats still a half! You got gold tho with the info from the couple and in the book, well done!

From your tile my first thought was you found half of a paper dollar! Lol!

PA Sleuth

Nov 26, 2014
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E Trac, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found the exact same coin a month ago, same year as well, still fun to pull a large coin from the ground

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I object to "not a cause for super celebration". I've found around 7000 coins and only 3 half dollars among that! Like yours one of mine was a JFK. The other two are Walking Libs. Finding that JFK was awesome and cause for big celebration. Extremely rare to find, awesome to dig up, and you should be patting yourself on the back until your shoulder has a rotator cuff injury! Don't poo-poo a rare find just because it's very cheap on the market!

lol...yeah I know. I've been thinking about that since I found it. It's something about the fact that it's a coin that's still being minted that gets me. When I worked at a gas station in high school we always had a guy that would come in and pay with these any time he was able. Nobody wanted it back in change (this is right when the Sacagawea dollar coin came out and my boss would get irritated when she'd find them in the register at the end of a shift) so I'd usually buy them out of the register for my low-dollar coin collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread