Half dollars - which box type produces?

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This isn't a newbie question but more a poll across the country. I have read that in one area Brinks produces better than Loomis, Garda, etc. and in others vice versa.

The majority of my finds so far have been from teller trays or CWR's. Last week I ordered from several banks and already received boxes from 2 of them. They were all long flat boxes with yellow Strings wrappers, so I am assuming those are Loomis, right? The rest are arriving soon, and should be mostly Brinks. Brinks usually sends square boxes with white or olive green wrappers, right?

Upvote 0

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will be pretty interesting to read..

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've done better with boxes than CWR's believe it or not, with all the "we buy silver" ads around, almost everybody knows about silver-- as to which carrier, i'd say they all produce similar.
HH
Buff

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all luck and everybody's area is different. The only way to find out what works best for you is to go out and do some first-hand market research.

Have fun!

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
bigscores said:
It's all luck and everybody's area is different. The only way to find out what works best for you is to go out and do some first-hand market research.

Have fun!

I'm having fun but it was more of a poll. Just curious how each coin service was producing across the nation. This might be an ambitious poll but I was curious if Brinks produced better than Loomis, or vice-versa.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
This isn't a newbie question but more a poll across the country. I have read that in one area Brinks produces better than Loomis, Garda, etc. and in others vice versa.

The majority of my finds so far have been from teller trays or CWR's. Last week I ordered from several banks and already received boxes from 2 of them. They were all long flat boxes with yellow Strings wrappers, so I am assuming those are Loomis, right? The rest are arriving soon, and should be mostly Brinks. Brinks usually sends square boxes with white or olive green wrappers, right?

They usually are Loomis, but can be a variety of carriers. Strings=Skunks.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
50cent said:
They usually are Loomis, but can be a variety of carriers. Strings=Skunks.

I should have added asking for general area to the poll. I'm on the Gulf Coast of FL and my 14 long boxes with Strings wrappers produced AG in 25% of the boxes. Nothing epic but a couple of '64s, couple of 40%s, and some gold plated clad. Lol

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
50cent said:
You check and see if you were shorted at all? Usually at least 50 cent short with the N.F. Skunk & Sons wrappers

Yep, by habit I check and didn't get shorted.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strings and Sons supplies rolls, they don't actually roll the coins themselves...

Seriously, OP, just get out there and see what you can find. There is zero point to polling people... If you do enough boxes, the odds even out.

I will tell you 3 of my 4 best boxes were Garda boxes, but I do 3x as many Garda boxes as anything else, so that pretty much explains that...

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
bigscores said:
Strings and Sons supplies rolls, they don't actually roll the coins themselves...

Seriously, OP, just get out there and see what you can find. There is zero point to polling people... If you do enough boxes, the odds even out.

I will tell you 3 of my 4 best boxes were Garda boxes, but I do 3x as many Garda boxes as anything else, so that pretty much explains that...

Just striking up conversation while I'm waiting on dozens of boxes on the way. If you don't want to participate in the conversation you don't have to. No offense but you are shooting down a conversation before it was even started. Are you a moderator?

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am waiting on my first box of halves to come on thurs. I know it is a brinks box. Anyone have luck with those? Not sure where I would get a guarda box. I have seen the trucks driving around town though, so I know they deliver someplace around here.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I am waiting on my first box of halves to come on thurs. I know it is a brinks box. Anyone have luck with those? Not sure where I would get a guarda box. I have seen the trucks driving around town though, so I know they deliver someplace around here.

Just follow them until they pull off, and when they are at a bank, just walk up and ask them. This takes serious gut's and even I would probably not do it, but they'd be amused enough to tell you. Or just wait till they get to the bank, to avoid any confrontation or misinterpretations.

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50cent said:
Just follow them until they pull off, and when they are at a bank, just walk up and ask them. This takes serious gut's and even I would probably not do it, but they'd be amused enough to tell you. Or just wait till they get to the bank, to avoid any confrontation or misinterpretations.

Approach waving a white flag of truce possibly?

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my neighborhood the Garda truck drives slowly down residential streets and all the CRH'ers walk up to the truck with money for half dollar boxes. It's like the ice cream man for grown ups.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
CladSmoke said:

My first Brinks box was while I was on vacation and produced 1 40%. My next Brinks box was from another city still out-of-town and had nothing. My next two boxes were Loomis and had nothing.

Now back home I found silver in 25% of 14 Loomis boxes from different banks.

This will vary from area to area but I don't have a sample large enough from Brinks to answer your question. My Brinks boxes start coming in this week. Hopefully there is a nice more experienced member that can answer your question.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Dark said:
In my neighborhood the Garda truck drives slowly down residential streets and all the CRH'ers walk up to the truck with money for half dollar boxes. It's like the ice cream man for grown ups.

Wouldn't that be nice. What neighborhood is that? Lol

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I can sign up for their route and they will stop by my crib once a month like the schwanns man.

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area I have two choices; brinks and loomis. My first loomis box was great but everything else just skunks. All brinks now. Produces at least 4-6 40% with a couple 90% occasionally. My last 6 have been skunks though, hopefully got through them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread